OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Ya I just watched the first 3 episodes of the follow up. I find it a bit slow...a lot of chatter, not enough scare. Hoping it gets better.

Yeah its definitely a slow burn at first. The first 3-4 episodes are long but back half is really interesting. IIRC you have like one more slow episode and the rest are good to really good. I thought it was worth it, probably a 7.5-8.0 show overall.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
My wife and I just finished watching all 7 seasons of Sons of Anarchy. According to my Netflix history we watched the pilot on Aug 25 (a few days after Philly eliminated the Habs) and the season finale on Oct 1. That's an average of 2.5 episodes per night. I enjoyed the ride, but I'm glad it's over!

I resisted watching SOA for a long time. We got 2-1/2 episodes into the first season about 8 years ago and I wasn't interested. It felt like episodic tv (it's not) and I didn't feel it was worth my time given the quality and glut of serialized tv shows. So I bailed.

I'm glad I tried again, better late than never. Good and often great writing, excellent acting, awesome soundtrack, a compelling story with great characters, and a fine ending. This is a series that knew from the start where it was going, and carefully plotted the course to get there. I really appreciate that. Like many others I'm still bitter about the time I spent watching Lost, a show in which the writers themselves were more lost at the end than the characters and audience. So I really appreciate a show that has cohesion from start to end.

One final thought. Jimmy Smits was friggin awesome and I want to watch/rewatch more of his stuff. Genius casting right there.
I just finished that series too. I found it got repetitive. But glad i finished it. Good acting. I agree jimmy smits was a great add. He was good in the 1 season he was in dexter

Reactions: FormerLurker

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Taskmaster first 2 seasons: 8/10 very good and funny show.

Raised by wolves season 1: 7.5/10 The show start very well but probably jumped the shark in the last episode.

Ted Lasso season 1 : 7.5/10

The boys season 2 : 7.5/10

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah its definitely a slow burn at first. The first 3-4 episodes are long but back half is really interesting. IIRC you have like one more slow episode and the rest are good to really good. I thought it was worth it, probably a 7.5-8.0 show overall.
Good to know, I'll stick to it then.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's been a while since I last posted in this thread...

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a masterpiece strongly recommend.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Anybody watching the follow up to The Haunting of Hill House?

Really liked The Haunting of Hill House and watched episode 1 of Bly Manor, but I think I've lost my taste for the genre. "Who was that?" "Nobody. You must have imagined it!". Gee, I wonder if it's a ghost. Maybe I'll get back to it, but the whole haunted element feels stale. Hill House was really good and the big reveal was clever, but I kept watching because of the family interaction, not the ghosts.

Right now I'm bingeing Deadwood, which is about as opposite a ghost story as you can get. It's a great show I somehow never got around to watching.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
This year s**** for movies overall. I have high hopes for that movie

Hoping villeneuve achieves something a bit more memorable than his bladerunner attempt, but the fact that he's already altering material to fit modern day sensitivities is a red flag, imo.

Really liked The Haunting of Hill House and watched episode 1 of Bly Manor, but I think I've lost my taste for the genre. "Who was that?" "Nobody. You must have imagined it!". Gee, I wonder if it's a ghost. Maybe I'll get back to it, but the whole haunted element feels stale. Hill House was really good and the big reveal was clever, but I kept watching because of the family interaction, not the ghosts.

Right now I'm bingeing Deadwood, which is about as opposite a ghost story as you can get. It's a great show I somehow never got around to watching.

Didn't even know they had a follow up to Hill House, but now that I look it up it seems they're going a very American Horror Story/anthology direction with it, which I'm not a fan of. Loved the first series and all the callbacks to the original Haunting film were appreciated on my end. I feel like they should have probably tried to get away from the 'haunted house' locale and do something different.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I have to ask, since I haven't seen it, but is it a remake/retelling of The House on Haunted Hill? Cuz if not, they could've put a little effort in finding a name that's a bit more original. Haunting of Hill House, House on Haunted Hill.. what's next? The Haunted House on the Hill?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Mr Robot ... should I keep watching? A few episodes in. Interesting but cheesy.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I liked the first season but I got bored after that.
I didn't watch Mr. Robot as a TV series (past its first season).

It was more like me admiring a masterclass painting.

I would not call it enjoyable, but more like mesmerizing. Just couldn't look away. Micro-dosing was key.

The show has scenes that are never going to be topped by another production.

Think of these (off the top of my head):

"The Moth and the Flame" - I have never seen anything better in my entire life.
The car trunk. I'd provide a quote, but that'd spoil it.
"So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow"
“Oh my god. Did you forget again?”

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have to ask, since I haven't seen it, but is it a remake/retelling of The House on Haunted Hill? Cuz if not, they could've put a little effort in finding a name that's a bit more original. Haunting of Hill House, House on Haunted Hill.. what's next? The Haunted House on the Hill?
I don't think Hill House is a remake, but I never watched Haunted Hill so I'm not sure. I'm really not much of a horror fan. I just like shows with lots of "H"s.

By the way, your avatar threw me -- I had no idea who you were for a second -- but nice haircut!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Borgen is so blunt. That makes its otherwise shortcomings irrelevant.

The best TV series I've ever seen? Maybe not.

A challenger? Yes!

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I am watching Utopia on Amazon right now.......not finish yet but kind of weird to get out a serie about a conspiracy theory turn reality in a world with a new virus. The timing...

I watched the original British series a few years ago and I loved it.
I watched the first 3 episodes of the Amazon version and also liked it so far even though I don't think it's as good as the original.
The problem is that the original version was cut short and the story was not resolved.
Hopefully the "reboot/remake" won't have the same fate.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I really enjoyed "The Boys" , was putting it off for too long and now I binged it and it's quite interesting take on the super hero genre. I recommend , 8.5/10.

I am now three episodes in and enjoying it so far. Definitely a fresher take on the genre. Never read the comics, but for TV superheroes, it’s a needed change in direction.

I legit LOL at 0:40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad