OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
My wife and I just finished watching all 7 seasons of Sons of Anarchy. According to my Netflix history we watched the pilot on Aug 25 (a few days after Philly eliminated the Habs) and the season finale on Oct 1. That's an average of 2.5 episodes per night. I enjoyed the ride, but I'm glad it's over!

I resisted watching SOA for a long time. We got 2-1/2 episodes into the first season about 8 years ago and I wasn't interested. It felt like episodic tv (it's not) and I didn't feel it was worth my time given the quality and glut of serialized tv shows. So I bailed.

I'm glad I tried again, better late than never. Good and often great writing, excellent acting, awesome soundtrack, a compelling story with great characters, and a fine ending. This is a series that knew from the start where it was going, and carefully plotted the course to get there. I really appreciate that. Like many others I'm still bitter about the time I spent watching Lost, a show in which the writers themselves were more lost at the end than the characters and audience. So I really appreciate a show that has cohesion from start to end.

One final thought. Jimmy Smits was friggin awesome and I want to watch/rewatch more of his stuff. Genius casting right there.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have Apple TV + for 3 months. Anyone that can recommend any of the shows that are free or movies for that matter?

Thanks!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive watched a Marriage story

Actually good movie, ngl.

Ive also watched the postcard killings, netflix original with Jeffrey dean Morgan.

LOL, is all I can say. Worth the watch solely for the zoom effects in the middle of the movie.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched The Witcher. Ultra complicated plot and narrative structure was hard to follow early on, but by the end I was liking it. Very nice world building. Lots of beautiful women too.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I hate when shows do this. She used her powers in a room full of people but nobody saw her eyes turn cloudy and white. There's a sequence where she's running around while she's doing it, but doesn't she need to stop and concentrate?

I suspected her when it happened, but I bought into her fright. She really seemed genuinely scared when it happened.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I hate when shows do this. (...)

Watch the spoilers, mate!

I think they’ll go with the more telegraphed route of her being an extremist, whatever-it-takes leftist that wants to bring both Voight and the Boys/CIA down.

And that final Homelander shot (pun intended)... so out of left field, yet so in-character. At first I thought the next angle was going to show him over Stormfront’s corpse but no, lo and behold, there he is doing his version of Batman’s power stance over the city :laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watch the spoilers, mate!

I think they’ll go with the more telegraphed route of her being an extremist, whatever-it-takes leftist that wants to bring both Voight and the Boys/CIA down.

And that final Homelander shot (pun intended)... so out of left field, yet so in-character. At first I thought the next angle was going to show him over Stormfront’s corpse but no, lo and behold, there he is doing his version of Batman’s power stance over the city :laugh:

She killed him right after Ed's phone call. That's not a coincidence. Remember, all Supes come from Vought. We also still haven't met all the people behind Edgar. Those who actually own Vought. Imo, she's working for them just as much as Edgar. You also forget Billy's talk with Edgar. Billy went to see him exactly because he knew it was him who did it, directly related to the final scene of the previous episode where Butcher is starring at the TV, realizimg who did this, why he says to him that he knows he's ruthless and Edgar doesn't brush it off, sorta admitting it was him behind the attack. Pretty sure she's working for Edgar, or at the very least, the same people as Edgar.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
f*** Fresca, I guess :laugh:

I would have prefered it if it would have been just the Fresca can. lol

I hate when shows do this. She used her powers in a room full of people but nobody saw her eyes turn cloudy and white. There's a sequence where she's running around while she's doing it, but doesn't she need to stop and concentrate?

I suspected her when it happened, but I bought into her fright. She really seemed genuinely scared when it happened.

Season 2 had many plot holes like this. The heroes and the Boys just speaking out in public, not even hiding. Meave teleporting all over.

It's like the author went screw it, it's a super-hero show.

I watched The Witcher. Ultra complicated plot and narrative structure was hard to follow early on, but by the end I was liking it. Very nice world building. Lots of beautiful women too.

It has its moment. I went to Wiki to inform myself on a few things after I watched the show and I realised that the show complicated a few elements for no reasons by screwing up with the chronological order. In the books it seems like the law of suprise storyline happened before Ciri's castle was attacked. So we see Geralt meeting these people before.

Also the great scene where Geralt just cut through all the hire guns in the village, I didn't know they were working for the witch. She spoke to them at the bar but I wish they would have made it more obvious that they were working for her.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I am watching Utopia on Amazon right now.......not finish yet but kind of weird to get out a serie about a conspiracy theory turn reality in a world with a new virus. The timing...

Reactions: DAChampion

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I have Apple TV + for 3 months. Anyone that can recommend any of the shows that are free or movies for that matter?

Thanks!

Defending Jacob

Probably the best series I've seen this year.

There's also The Servant but I got bored a little at the end....and I had a hard time seeing Rupert Grint in an another role than Ron from Harry Potter.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Aya Cash is coming back for season 3 of The Boys....

...are they gonna 'Phoenix Person' Stormfront? :laugh:

I could've referenced Darth Vader instead, but gotta get with the times! Wabala-dub-dub!

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Anybody watching the follow up to The Haunting of Hill House?

I did when it came out 2 years ago I think, solid series. Saw the big reveal coming from the 1st episode but nonetheless really well-made, interesting and has some decent scares.

Watched The Haunting of Bly Manor last week-end, the follow up from the same creator. Also very good but not as scary.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I did when it came out 2 years ago I think, solid series. Saw the big reveal coming from the 1st episode but nonetheless really well-made, interesting and has some decent scares.

Watched The Haunting of Bly Manor last week-end, the follow up from the same creator. Also very good but not as scary.

Ya I just watched the first 3 episodes of the follow up. I find it a bit slow...a lot of chatter, not enough scare. Hoping it gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad