OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Anyone watch Baskets starring Zach Galfianakis on FX?

I had this fourth and final season to watch on demand, and just bailed after about 5 episodes. Lost the feeling, not the first time it has happened to me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Definitely didn't expect to see Jim Gaffigan in a serious role but he's really looking good in this:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Spade has an absolutely insane story about his assistant trying to kill him. He told it on the Maron podcast or the Norm Macdonald one. Has nothing to do with him as a performer but it’s wild.

As for Hader, Barry has convinced me that the man is brilliant.

Agreed on Hader, he's brilliant in Barry.

Had not heard of the Spade story -- sounds like something worth looking into.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Definitely didn't expect to see Jim Gaffigan in a serious role but he's really looking good in this:

I love Gaffigan's comedy. Actually saw him on Broadway in a sports drama with Keiffer Sutherland and Chris Noth. Forgettable, but the cast was cool! Gaffigan can pull it off.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Early JOKER reviews from its premiere at the Venice Film Festival are generally very positive, but the one thing that even the harshest critics agree on is that Joaquin's performance as the Joker is transcendent.

I didn't have much interest in this, but after just watching the vid... holy crap, Phoenix is unbelievable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Affair is starting its S5 tonight, sadly its final season.

If you haven’t been following it, do yourself a favor and binge watch it — it’s one of HBO’s best series hands down.
First two seasons were good. I found it got progressively ridiculous after that. I bailed out somewhere around mid fourth season.

I have recently discovered Ash vs Evil Dead. Loved Army of Darkness and this being on Netflix now is totally awesome. Bruce Campbell makes everything good. Plus it's got Lee Majors!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
First two seasons were good. I found it got progressively ridiculous after that. I bailed out somewhere around mid fourth season.

I have recently discovered Ash vs Evil Dead. Loved Army of Darkness and this being on Netflix now is totally awesome. Bruce Campbell makes everything good. Plus it's got Lee Majors!

I can definitely understand how every series doesn't necessarily resonate with everyone.

About Ash vs. Evil Dead, I'm usually not into the horror genre. Saw this description on RT:

This sort-of sequel to the 1981 cult horror-comedy-film franchise finds chainsaw-handed creature fighter Ash (Bruce Campbell) reluctantly re-upping to save the world from a Deadite plague that he, in a moment of carelessness, has once again unleashed on mankind. To help out, he now has trusty sidekicks Pablo (Ray Santiago), Ash's coworker and friend, and Kelly (Dana DeLorenzo), whose family was wiped out by the evil dead.

What drew you to it?

Did the same exercise for Army of Darkness. Saw this description on RT:

The third in director Sam Raimi's stylish, comic book-like horror trilogy that began with The Evil Dead (1982), this tongue-in-cheek sequel offers equal parts sword-and-sorcery-style action, gore, and comedy. Bruce Campbell returns as the one-armed Ash, now a supermarket employee ("Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart") who is transported by the powers of a mysterious book back in time with his Oldsmobile '88 to the 14th century medieval era. Armed only with a shotgun, his high school chemistry textbook, and a chainsaw that mounts where his missing appendage once resided, the square-jawed, brutally competent Ash quickly establishes himself as a besieged kingdom's best hope against an "army of darkness" currently plaguing the land. Since the skeleton warriors have been resurrected with the aid of the Necronomicon (the same tome that can send Ash back to his own time) he agrees to face the enemy in battle. Ash also finds romance of a sort along the way with a beautiful damsel in distress, Sheila (Embeth Davidtz), and contends with his own doppelganger after mangling an important incantation.

So for those who don't follow the genre, the two movies you mention are connected. Is Army of Darkness the 1982 version or is there a remake?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's a drama series inspired from Emile Zola's novel, "Au bonheur des dames", which was published as a novel in 1883.

The series is loosely based on Zola's novel, which was about the birth of the department store in the mid-nineteenth century and the world of retail sales and its innovations.

The series is set in 1950s Italy, is in Italian with English subtitles. Every weeknight, a half hour episode is broadcast on ICI Television (channel 838 if you're a Videotron subscriber). I've been DVRing it for several weeks now and watch 5 episodes in a row every Friday night. I'm liking the concept and the casting. It's not fast-paced but holds up well. Not for everyone but a pleasant viewing experience if this type of concept is your thing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I can definitely understand how every series doesn't necessarily resonate with everyone.

About Ash vs. Evil Dead, I'm usually not into the horror genre. Saw this description on RT:

This sort-of sequel to the 1981 cult horror-comedy-film franchise finds chainsaw-handed creature fighter Ash (Bruce Campbell) reluctantly re-upping to save the world from a Deadite plague that he, in a moment of carelessness, has once again unleashed on mankind. To help out, he now has trusty sidekicks Pablo (Ray Santiago), Ash's coworker and friend, and Kelly (Dana DeLorenzo), whose family was wiped out by the evil dead.

What drew you to it?

The third in director Sam Raimi's stylish, comic book-like horror trilogy that began with The Evil Dead (1982), this tongue-in-cheek sequel offers equal parts sword-and-sorcery-style action, gore, and comedy. Bruce Campbell returns as the one-armed Ash, now a supermarket employee ("Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart") who is transported by the powers of a mysterious book back in time with his Oldsmobile '88 to the 14th century medieval era. Armed only with a shotgun, his high school chemistry textbook, and a chainsaw that mounts where his missing appendage once resided, the square-jawed, brutally competent Ash quickly establishes himself as a besieged kingdom's best hope against an "army of darkness" currently plaguing the land. Since the skeleton warriors have been resurrected with the aid of the Necronomicon (the same tome that can send Ash back to his own time) he agrees to face the enemy in battle. Ash also finds romance of a sort along the way with a beautiful damsel in distress, Sheila (Embeth Davidtz), and contends with his own doppelganger after mangling an important incantation.

So for those who don't follow the genre, the two movies you mention are connected. Is Army of Darkness the 1982 version or is there a remake?
Yeah, the Affair just went off the rails for me in season three. To each their own.

As for Evil Dead, the 1981 version is a B-budget horror movie. It's violent, scary and creepy.

In 1987 they remade it with the same lead actor and director (Raimi/Campbell) and spoofed it. I have never seen this movie. It's got something like 85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Army of Darkness is the sequel to that movie. It's a horror/comedy. Some of it is juvenille and doesn't work. Other parts are belly laugh out loud hilarious. There are so many cheesy one liners in that film it's an absolute classic. I have no idea how I wound up seeing that movie but I certainly enjoyed it when I watched it. It's an absolute farce.

Dead Alive by Peter Jackson borrows somewhat from this concept of horror/farce and it's pretty funny too but lacks the one liners.

If you ever get a chance to see Bubba Ho-Tep I highly advise you to do it. But you have to give it a chance, the first ten or so minutes are absolutely ridiculous. It's one of the most off the wall movies I've ever seen and none other than Roger Ebert felt that Bruce Campbell deserved an Oscar nod for his performance. Absolutely crazy movie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, the Affair just went off the rails for me in season three. To each their own.

As for Evil Dead, the 1981 version is a B-budget horror movie. It's violent, scary and creepy.

In 1987 they remade it with the same lead actor and director (Raimi/Campbell) and spoofed it. I have never seen this movie. It's got something like 85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Army of Darkness is the sequel to that movie. It's a horror/comedy. Some of it is juvenille and doesn't work. Other parts are belly laugh out loud hilarious. There are so many cheesy one liners in that film it's an absolute classic. I have no idea how I wound up seeing that movie but I certainly enjoyed it when I watched it. It's an absolute farce.

Dead Alive by Peter Jackson borrows somewhat from this concept of horror/farce and it's pretty funny too but lacks the one liners.

If you ever get a chance to see Bubba Ho-Tep I highly advise you to do it. But you have to give it a chance, the first ten or so minutes are absolutely ridiculous. It's one of the most off the wall movies I've ever seen and none other than Roger Ebert felt that Bruce Campbell deserved an Oscar nod for his performance. Absolutely crazy movie.

So what makes it appealing for you is the comedy angle? That's not conventional horror, which makes it intriguing. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So what makes it appealing for you is the comedy angle? That's not conventional horror, which makes it intriguing. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.
Definitely a comedy.

Don't know if you ever saw Dead Alive. It has a kung fu priest in it who jumps out and says "I kick ass for the Lord" and then kicks the heads off some zombies... think that kind of craziness for Army of Darkness.

And you don't need to see the previous movies to enjoy this one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love Gaffigan's comedy. Actually saw him on Broadway in a sports drama with Keiffer Sutherland and Chris Noth. Forgettable, but the cast was cool! Gaffigan can pull it off.

Gaffigan is a genuinely nice guy, if that wasn't obvious already.

I know someone who spent days with him while shooting in Montreal last year. It was an actress who shot a day-long scene with him but who didn't have a line in the movie. He literally did everything he could, changed his lines on every take so that the actress would have to reply to him. He didn't have to do that but insisted on wanting to give her an opportunity. Just amazing how some name actors are so giving and genuinely caring. A lot of them won't even interact with extras -- Gaffigan is a real gentleman.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Definitely a comedy.

Don't know if you ever saw Dead Alive. It has a kung fu priest in it who jumps out and says "I kick ass for the Lord" and then kicks the heads off some zombies... think that kind of craziness for Army of Darkness.

And you don't need to see the previous movies to enjoy this one.

Nicely weird. Sometimes I'm in the mood for some off-beat stuff, that's not a genre I've ever considered.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

What drew you to it?

Evil Dead is the original 'cabin in the woods' story, more horror than comedy.

Evil Dead 2 is the one best remembered and is essentially just a remake of Evil Dead, with more comedy and better filmmaking.

Army of Darkness is a sequel to Evil Dead 2.

The TV series is a sequel to AOD, inspired by fans wanting a follow-up to the alternate ending to AOD, where Ash wakes up from his sleep in the cave, only to find the apocalyspe has happened in modern times and he parodies Heston's reaction to the statue of liberty on the beach in Planet of the Apes.

It's also partly inspired by the cult comic book that followed AOD.

The original Evil Dead is known as 'Le bal de l'horreur' in french. While Evil Dead 2 kept its original english title, which is why it gets confusing for some people here in the province.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Evil Dead is the original 'cabin in the woods' story, more horror than comedy.

Evil Dead 2 is the one best remembered and is essentially just a remake of Evil Dead, with more comedy and better filmmaking.

Army of Darkness is a sequel to Evil Dead 2.

The TV series is a sequel to AOD, inspired by fans wanting a follow-up to the alternate ending to AOD, where Ash wakes up from his sleep in the cave, only to find the apocalyspe has happened in modern times and he parodies Heston's reaction to the statue of liberty on the beach in Planet of the Apes.

It's also partly inspired by the cult comic book that followed AOD.

Kudos, you and LG really know this genre well. So, another comic book inspired product. Superhero movies and shows are not alone in having taken that path.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Kudos, you and LG really know this genre well. So, another comic book inspired product. Superhero movies and shows are not alone in having taken that path.

Only the TV series is partly inspired by the comic book. The comic book was created after Army of Darkness.

The original material is the first Evil Dead movie.

From movie, to sequels, to comic and then to TV.

Oh yeah, least I forget, the original Evil Dead got a second remake in 2013, this time closer to the true horror of the first installmemt.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone watch Battlebots? I don't know why I get sucked in watching it every year, lol.

It has its moments but that WWE-style announcer, Faruq, has to be the cheesiest guy on TV.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
the invisible guest : 7.8/10 Good thriller

midsommar: 7.5/10 Predictable but still well done. Great set and art design.

It chapter 2 : 7.3/10

big little lies season 2: 7/10 Not as good as the 1st season but still watchable.

13 reasons why season 3: 6/10 Not good at all. Pure money grab.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been watching Mr. Inbetween, an Australian dark comedy on FX. Easy to get into, season 1 is six 30-minute episodes.

The main character is a Steve Buscemi lookalike and tries to juggle a normal life while making a living as a professional hitman. Nothing that we haven't seen before but it's a fun watch nonetheless. After four episodes, I'm really into it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
the invisible guest : 7.8/10 Good thriller

midsommar: 7.5/10 Predictable but still well done. Great set and art design.

It chapter 2 : 7.3/10

big little lies season 2: 7/10 Not as good as the 1st season but still watchable.

13 reasons why season 3: 6/10 Not good at all. Pure money grab.

Season 1 of Big Little Lies was indeed better. I felt season 2 wasted a lot of time with the custody battle. When it ended, and I learned the series was finished, I was kinda saying WTF? That’s how they end it? I mean, the actual ending I suppose is ok, but the journey there I didn’t think was well done.

Certainly watchable, but it wasn’t as interesting as the first.

Midsommer is on my watch list, but I’m in no hurry. IT2 I definitely want to see.

I gave up on 13 Reasons after season 1.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Didn't realize they were making a sequel to ''The Shining''..

They have some serious cohones to dare add a sequel to this masterpiece. Looking at the trailer, I'm very disappointed. It doesn't appear to have any psychological thrilling twists but rather, just another usual scare tactic flick. I really hope I'm wrong but man that's disappointing. Kubrick must be turning in his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad