OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, the Affair just went off the rails for me in season three. To each their own.

As for Evil Dead, the 1981 version is a B-budget horror movie. It's violent, scary and creepy.

In 1987 they remade it with the same lead actor and director (Raimi/Campbell) and spoofed it. I have never seen this movie. It's got something like 85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Army of Darkness is the sequel to that movie. It's a horror/comedy. Some of it is juvenille and doesn't work. Other parts are belly laugh out loud hilarious. There are so many cheesy one liners in that film it's an absolute classic. I have no idea how I wound up seeing that movie but I certainly enjoyed it when I watched it. It's an absolute farce.

Dead Alive by Peter Jackson borrows somewhat from this concept of horror/farce and it's pretty funny too but lacks the one liners.

If you ever get a chance to see Bubba Ho-Tep I highly advise you to do it. But you have to give it a chance, the first ten or so minutes are absolutely ridiculous. It's one of the most off the wall movies I've ever seen and none other than Roger Ebert felt that Bruce Campbell deserved an Oscar nod for his performance. Absolutely crazy movie.
I certainly share your sentiment, because S3 was below the par. But give season 4 a try - I felt like it elevated the series to a whole new level, easily topping the original season. It is very very strong by any measure and it reignited my interest in the series.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whats the opinion on It 2 around here ? I mostly hated it, it was much, much worse than the first one. It was funnier than it was scary or unsettling or what ever I wanted it to be.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Whats the opinion on It 2 around here ? I mostly hated it, it was much, much worse than the first one. It was funnier than it was scary or unsettling or what ever I wanted it to be.

it's 3h long for a follow up to a mediocre horror movie

I like bad horror movies but 3h cmon now I ain't leaving my house for that

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
I've been watching Mr. Inbetween, an Australian dark comedy on FX. Easy to get into, season 1 is six 30-minute episodes.

The main character is a Steve Buscemi lookalike and tries to juggle a normal life while making a living as a professional hitman. Nothing that we haven't seen before but it's a fun watch nonetheless. After four episodes, I'm really into it.

I recommended this to someone some time ago. Still waiting for season 2! EDIT: And season 2 episode 1 is out!

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 6.3/10

Very good movie. Not far from being Tarantino’s best. Shaved off 0.4 due to some of the “liberties” taken with golden state folklore.

Edit: I guess my mariolemieuxfan impersonation fell flat!

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah and its not even scary
I took my teenage kids to it and they probably laughed more than were scared. I hated the original TV movie way back, Part 1 redeemed themselves a bit, Part 2 might have them drifting closer to the original

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I took my teenage kids to it and they probably laughed more than were scared. I hated the original TV movie way back, Part 1 redeemed themselves a bit, Part 2 might have them drifting closer to the original
I laughed a good bit too. I laughed at the chinese restaurant scene and the hide-out jokes and all the your mom jokes, but Im like 13 and I like easy jokes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive seen the big short yesterday, too.

Great movie, lots of acting fire power... Bale is fantastic once again. Carrell plays a similar type to Michael Scott.

Bonus for the Anthony Bourdain fans in this thread (Groove, Kiwi and that other guy I forget.) He makes a quick cameo talking about a fish stew.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It Chapter two really that bad?
I mean its 3 hours long. Its just way too much screen time for any horror movie. With that said, if you have three hours to kill, watch it.

I think what made the first one great is the overuse of the synthesizer sound and in this one they used it like once. Also the fact that we already knew the bad guy killed the vibe of the first one.
I just think they went a bit too left field there.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean its 3 hours long. Its just way too much screen time for any horror movie. With that said, if you have three hours to kill, watch it.

I think what made the first one great is the overuse of the synthesizer sound and in this one they used it like once. Also the fact that we already knew the bad guy killed the vibe of the first one.
I just think they went a bit too left field there.

Ya I thought it was pretty crappy. Not particularly scary as you say, pretty predictable too and way too long. There's so much scare tactics they can do within a movie...making it for 3 hours became very redundant. When they go one by one back to their childhood, well, great, but after the first one you know exactly what's coming for all the others.
The gay guys and scene at the beginning...what was the point? They contributed nothing to the story. Just added time to the movies. If it was to show how IT is back...you could have done that in 30 seconds.
Same with the mental institute part...and now there's a zombie driving a car? Wtf?...
And the cheesy love moments...come on. 27 years later?? You still have a crush on the girl you liked when you were 13??...Why even go there...who still thinks these ideas are good? If you still have a thing in your 40s for the girl you liked during a summer back in your first teenage year, you have some real serious issues man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I know I'm really, like really really late to the show, but I started watching Suits and like it a lot. Best law show i've seen in ages.

I still watch suits because I just been following it, but it's very odd as I literally hate every character.
I also can't get over simple things that just kills it for me. Half the show is them walking in hallways of the office like it's a freaking catwalk. Their shirts/suits/dresses look just as nice and ironed out after spending a 15 hour work day.
And the drama....ohhhh lordy lord...so much drama.

But I still find myself watching this stupid show..

Reactions: dinodebino

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ya I thought it was pretty crappy. Not particularly scary as you say, pretty predictable too and way too long. There's so much scare tactics they can do within a movie...making it for 3 hours became very redundant. When they go one by one back to their childhood, well, great, but after the first one you know exactly what's coming for all the others.
The gay guys and scene at the beginning...what was the point? They contributed nothing to the story. Just added time to the movies. If it was to show how IT is back...you could have done that in 30 seconds.
Same with the mental institute part...and now there's a zombie driving a car? Wtf?...
And the cheesy love moments...come on. 27 years later?? You still have a crush on the girl you liked when you were 13??...Why even go there...who still thinks these ideas are good?
Especially when youre as succesful and wealthy as he would be... what a joke.

Its true that theres a lot of filler.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It’s great the first couple of seasons, but then the law aspect of the show takes the back seat and it becomes a romance melodrama... I kind of lost interest at that point.

Watching it, I was wondering if they would keep it up or if they would veer towards personal issues after a few seasons. Guess i have my answer.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
still considering seeing It 2 but man

Unless it's a very specific situation you don't need to make a 3h movie just stop it, stop it hollywood director you're not that great or important stop it

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
still considering seeing It 2 but man

Unless it's a very specific situation you don't need to make a 3h movie just stop it, stop it hollywood director you're not that great or important stop it
Better off making 3 2 hours movies than 2 3 hours movies for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I recommended this to someone some time ago. Still waiting for season 2! EDIT: And season 2 episode 1 is out!

Just finished Mr Inbetween S1. Loved it. The Steve Buscemi lookalike main character is likeable despite what he does for a living. The storylines are understated, they look real. No over the top acting. It’s more of a dramedy.

Plus, I’m picking up all these cool Australian expressions. An ambulance driver is an “ambo”, the trunk of a car is a “boot” and sunglasses are “sunnies.”

As you wrote, Season 2 has just begun on FX. Watching it now.

Reactions: HerculePoirot

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Just finished Mr Inbetween S1. Loved it. The Steve Buscemi lookalike main character is likeable despite what he does for a living. The storylines are understated, they look real. No over the top acting. It’s more of a dramedy.

Plus, I’m picking up all these cool Australian expressions. An ambulance driver is an “ambo”, the trunk of a car is a “boot” and sunglasses are “sunnies.”

As you wrote, Season 2 has just begun on FX. Watching it now.

A decent Aussie series is Rake on Netlfix. A bit absurd but easy viewing and well cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad