OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Isn't there some issue between the studios and the rights to the superheroes?

Recall reading something where if the studios don't keep rebooting they risk the character reverting to another studio - could've dreamt it

You are not dreaming. Fox owned the movie rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four and all its supporting characters and villains.

Sony owns Spider-Man, supporting characters and villains.

Various other characters are scattered, like Ghost Rider, Blade and others previously.

I don’t know the exact time frame but the rule was studios were required to make a movie with the character(s) within 10 years. If they don’t, rights revert back to Marvel.

Certain characters, like Spider-Man and the Hulk are special partnerships. Fox was purchased by Disney, so all those characters reverted back.

As for reboots, well, Marvel has to reboot since they are basically getting characters back now. They didn’t own the Blade rights for example, so they can’t use the past movies in their canon. I think those who just watch these movies for the sake of watching don’t understand this. What the MCU is doing is pretty unprecedented where they are trying to develop a whole universe with multiple IPs. For now anyways, they are refraining from rebooting core characters.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Star Trek - Picard is going to blow Discovery right out of the water. Saw the trailer, looks good.

I might have to hack into different HF accounts so I can 'Like' this multiple times. Goddamn... I can't wait for this!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Finished season 3 of Stranger Things. I thought it was excellent and my favorite of the three seasons. A lot more humor and much faster paced than before. Production values have also improved, but I guess that’s understandable as the show’s grown.

Hopefully the series goes out with a bang when the final season airs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
RIP Rutger Hauer. A fine, fine villain.

E28834CD-4B08-403E-9E05-A85C43272EB9.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finished season 3 of Stranger Things. I thought it was excellent and my favorite of the three seasons. A lot more humor and much faster paced than before. Production values have also improved, but I guess that’s understandable as the show’s grown.

Hopefully the series goes out with a bang when the final season airs.

There was not even one thing that I liked about Season 3. lol Not even one.

Disaster from top to bottom. Really boring script. All the dread and scare of the first season was gone. Bad comedy with "Evil" Russian agents. Zero imagination. The whole season was basically everyone is running around like headless chicken with nothing interesting going on.

Somebody please tell me what they liked about it.

Reactions: peate and sandviper

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Rutger Hauer is great, but all due respect, I think Alan Rickman (RIP) was also great at playing the villain.

Gary Oldman is also great in such roles.

No argument here. Rickman worked on that staccato delivery for a long time. There is a little discomfort hearing a language spoken like that.

He played the despicable villain in Potter beautifully, but still managed to evoke moments of tenderness and humanity.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Disaster from top to bottom. Really boring script. All the dread and scare of the first season was gone. Bad comedy with "Evil" Russian agents. Zero imagination. The whole season was basically everyone is running around like headless chicken with nothing interesting going on.

Despite liking the season, I completely get where you are coming from. Dread was definitely missing and the hokey comedy and generic evil Russians were silly.

However, that was why I liked it. I guess I was able to relate since I was The same age as the kids in the show during that era and the show stirred up a lot of memories for me.

For example, D&D, and outgrowing it. The fight with the friends wasn’t too dissimilar from the day my “party” broke up. I mean, it wasn’t as dramatic as in the show, but the last game I played, me and a few friends were completely distracted and the dungeon master was completely pissed.

I had a friend who came back from summer camp with a new girl friend none of us met.

One of the cool kids I knew in high school ended up working at Burger King. Granted, this is quite normal, but as a 13-year old, it was funny since I thought he’d be a #1 center with the Habs by 18.

I basically thought the show captured the essence of being 13-15 during that era. Comedies of the 80s were also cheesy and this season I also felt got most of that right.

Sure, my life didn’t have other dimensions and evil Russians with their own Terminator. However, I recall Terminator being the most frightening villain at the time (other than Vader) and I caught that reference immediately.

Finally, the music was great.

I do get though the show was different in tone and feel and I suppose why change a good thing. At the same time, I also understand it was a risk to do so. Anyhow, not saying my reasons for liking it are the norm, but as a product of the 80s, this season connected with me more than the first two, despite being that same age in the first two seasons.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Caught "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" last night.

Excellent. Tarantinos best movie since Resovoir Dogs.

Decaprios is fabulous.

Reactions: Redux91

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

I was hesitant to post my critical opinion fearing I was the only one who didn't like it. It turned into a run of the mill sci-fi. The kids were horrible, puppy love my ass, gtfo. The music was OK, and Ryder did her best but I just couldn't stand the kids anymore.

Reactions: Kimota

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I was hesitant to post my critical opinion fearing I was the only one who didn't like it. It turned into a run of the mill sci-fi. The kids were horrible, puppy love my ass, gtfo. The music was OK, and Ryder did her best but I just couldn't stand the kids anymore.

They definitely went in the wrong direction with Season 3. The story had great potential and the producers didn't grasp the opportunity. It's a shame, really.

RIP Stranger Things.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They definitely went in the wrong direction with Season 3. The story had great potential and the producers didn't grasp the opportunity. It's a shame, really.

RIP Stranger Things.
I didn't mind S03. Maybe that's because I did a back-to-back marathon with s02 so it all got lumped in together.
For me it stayed on the right side of the ''cheesy'' line.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Currently watching the 2nd season of Halt and catch fire. I quite like it even though most of the characters are a bit too much self-destructive for my taste. Still a binge-worthy show.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Do you recommend?
For sure, it is an eye opener and that's not to say that we are completely ignorant to what is going on around us but I think to some extent we are unaware of just how much of it is going on around us. One of my favorite quotes from the movie: "Data has surpassed oil in terms of value", "Data is the most valuable asset on earth".

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Agreed. Seems to me like a bunch of people in Hollywood and TV in general are suffering from some sort of ADHD.

In many shows and movies, you'll see lots of great scenes and pieces. But that's when you take them separately. On the whole and story wise, it rarely makes sense, though. Star Wars ep. VII and VIII were terrible in that regard.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For sure, it is an eye opener and that's not to say that we are completely ignorant to what is going on around us but I think to some extent we are unaware of just how much of it is going on around us. One of my favorite quotes from the movie: "Data has surpassed oil in terms of value", "Data is the most valuable asset on earth".

Oh, so it’s a documentary?

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad