OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Totally agree. This re-imagined 007 looks like a cheap attempt to grab a wider audience while piggybacking on an old name. This new actress might be fantastic and the role very entertaining, but it's not 007. That designation has been attached to one specific character for 50 freakin years. A half-century of character development doesn't disappear just because producers want to play with social norms.

Up next is the reboot of Columbo played by J-Lo.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I am a huge Mahershala Ali fan and think this is great casting. That said, he’s a little older so I’m curious if they are looking at the Blade character as more of a TV series (despite this announced as a movie) and get the stories out over a few seasons, or the traditional movie trilogy route (which can take 5-8 years).

I guess if Tom Cruise can still run around and do his stunts, Mahershala Ali can still kick ass and chop vampires up in his 50s (if they do a movie series).

as a witcher fanboy i'm very pleased with what i'm seeing

Heard they are also going to follow the books more and not so much the games.

Reactions: ArsHabs and Redux91

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I am a huge Mahershala Ali fan and think this is great casting. That said, he’s a little older so I’m curious if they are looking at the Blade character as more of a TV series (despite this announced as a movie) and get the stories out over a few seasons, or the traditional movie trilogy route (which can take 5-8 years).

I guess if Tom Cruise can still run around and do his stunts, Mahershala Ali can still kick ass and chop vampires up in his 50s (if they do a movie series).

Heard they are also going to follow the books more and not so much the games.

Blade 1 with Snipes was pretty awesome. Not sure how they can beat that. Don't get the remake.

Reactions: Redux91

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Blade 1 with Snipes was pretty awesome. Not sure how they can beat that. Don't get the remake.

i'm asking myself the same questions for almost every remake they made over the last few years. They are recycling the same ideas over and over, bringing nothing new. Their only motivations is to make more money with something that we alrealy seen in the past. Yes it's with new actors and/or new genders , but no matter how they try to twist things , at the end they are recycling the same things.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
?? I don't think it's a remake, it's a reboot of a franchise that existed way before the Snipes movie

like, Captain America : First Avenger isn't a remake of this just because it existed before :laugh:
Captain_America_1979_TV_Movie.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Blade 1 was awesome. I liked #2 also, but #3 was absolute trash.

That said, Ali is such an amazing actor and great screen presence. i don’t know who else they could have gotten, but I can see Ali making this Blade his own. I also believe it’s going to be a reboot as well.

@peate - Yeah, I was gonna post the Picard trailer, but it does look good. Not sure about blowing Discovery away. I think they are going to be quite different. I expect Picard to be more cerebral though.

Reactions: ArsHabs and Redux91

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Because blade was part of the Avengers at some point. All the new movies announced are just setting up the New Avengers
The next blade will blow the original away. Better actor by far. The man is one of the best actors out there now. Plus it’s all under Marvel. Can’t wait

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Because blade was part of the Avengers at some point. All the new movies announced are just setting up the New Avengers
The next blade will blow the original away. Better actor by far. The man is one of the best actors out there now. Plus it’s all under Marvel. Can’t wait

Snipes can’t hold a candle to Ali in terms of acting. Great choice for Blade, and it was Ali who approached Marvel for this role.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Star Trek - Picard is going to blow Discovery right out of the water. Saw the trailer, looks good.

holy shit, Seven of Nine !! :eek:
I hope it's just not a tease and that she will be a regular .

Can't wait to watch that new series . You're right i really like Discovery, but Picard should be a better

Reactions: peate and Redux91

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I wish they give a shot at Tom Hiddleston for Bond. Guy is an incredible actor, British, only 38 yo.

But they had to play in that f***ing politicaly correct game and cast a woman. Now give me Wonder Man, Catman and John 'Phoenix' Grey.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I wish they give a shot at Tom Hiddleston for Bond. Guy is an incredible actor, British, only 38 yo.

But they had to play in that ****ing politicaly correct game and cast a woman. Now give me Wonder Man, Catman and John 'Phoenix' Grey.
For the last time the woman is not playing BOND
She’s playing 007. He’s retired in the movie and she took his Double 0 “badge”. There’s only so many double 0 agents
They already said they will replace James Bond with a man when the time comes
Lynch May star as 007 until they find a new Bond but she’s not playing BOND

Reactions: Astormynight

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
?? I don't think it's a remake, it's a reboot of a franchise that existed way before the Snipes movie

like, Captain America : First Avenger isn't a remake of this just because it existed before :laugh:
Captain_America_1979_TV_Movie.jpg

The greater point is that there’s a large swath of film lovers that would like to see the studios go back to putting some of their might behind original content, or at least never before seen adaptations of various literary works.

There is lots of independent content out there to satiate, but that can’t fill the big budget practical effects void (speaking for myself).

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
For the last time the woman is not playing BOND
She’s playing 007. He’s retired in the movie and she took his Double 0 “badge”. There’s only so many double 0 agents
They already said they will replace James Bond with a man when the time comes
Lynch May star as 007 until they find a new Bond but she’s not playing BOND

That's still bullshit and that still sucks.

Reactions: Kimota

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

as a witcher fanboy i'm very pleased with what i'm seeing

Looks good. I like Cavill and hope he does well in this role. He also has night hunter coming out that looks solid as well.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know the inter-webs were angry when Finn Jones was cast as Iron-Fist mostly because of the whole “why him?” factor, but also being a martial arts based character, it could had been an opportunity to cast an Asian. I was actually thankful they didn’t because I think that stereotype is stupid.

That said, I’m glad no shenanigans were present in the casting of Shang-Chi for Marvel. I mean, the character is Chinese, so I’m happy they casted Simu Liu, who happens to be Chinese-Canadian. Only thing that annoys me is my wife keeps showing me pictures of his abs...

Reactions: ArsHabs

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Watched some Fawlty Towers,that Cleese,man what a character!. lol

I'm fortunate enough to have seen original broadcasts of Fawlty Towers in Canada. As well as Fireball XL5, Mission Impossible, the Flintstones, and Star Trek. :laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
i'm asking myself the same questions for almost every remake they made over the last few years. They are recycling the same ideas over and over, bringing nothing new. Their only motivations is to make more money with something that we alrealy seen in the past. Yes it's with new actors and/or new genders , but no matter how they try to twist things , at the end they are recycling the same things.
Isn't there some issue between the studios and the rights to the superheroes?

Recall reading something where if the studios don't keep rebooting they risk the character reverting to another studio - could've dreamt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad