Let’s talk about: Wyatt Johnston

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Is it to early to get excited about a future line of Robertson - WJ - Stankoven? My only question is, what is the league going to have to do to defend them..... I imagine that will happen at some point. Hints is going to be a ridiculous #2.
On the other hand, will they able to sign and keep all of these young guys? It's a good problem to have but they will want to get paid accordingly.

Reactions: brakeyawself

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
On the other hand, will they able to sign and keep all of these young guys? It's a good problem to have but they will want to get paid accordingly.

This is Jim Nill's speciality.

Benn's 9.5M deal comes off the books in the 2025 offseason. Same time as Johnston's ELC expires.

We currently have 3 deals that will still be active when Robertson and Stankoven need to be re-signed. Two of the three are some of the best value deals in the entire league.

There is loads of money to play with, and I'm sure Nill already has a 4-5 year plan drawn up to make sure all of these players not only stay, but get paid fair deals.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What's his ceiling? Is he a true number 1 C?

57pts in 16:55 TOI on average is very good production.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Oh yea. I think 40 goals and 80-90 points at this point is a fair ceiling. He just keeps getting better and better.

In terms of statistical career progression only, Brayden Point seems like a good comparison. Johnston broke in younger than Point did, though.

Reactions: brakeyawself

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Oh yea. I think 40 goals and 80-90 points at this point is a fair ceiling. He just keeps getting better and better.

In terms of statistical career progression only, Brayden Point seems like a good comparison. Johnston broke in younger than Point did, though.
I was thinking more like a Wayne Gretzky but I didn’t want to be biased so I’ll settle for Stevie Y.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

His ceiling? The franchises best center, or possibly even best PLAYER since Mike Modano? Somewhere in that realm. Stevie Y isn't a bad compare. Um, a better P. Bergeron? Elias Pettersonish? You get the idea.

I mean, IF he gets to play long term with the players he should get to play with, I see no reason he cant be a 90-110 pps player at least for a good chunk of his career. One that plays PP and SH, and one of the best 2 way centers in the league..... Still think he will be the best player possibly in that draft class when all is said and done.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's a double edged sword for Stars fans..

One on hand, I'm pumped that the team's forward group is as stacked as it is. It's a good problem to have so many skilled players, you never have to lean on one (scoring) line more than the other two (scoring lines)

But on the other, I wish he would have more PP opportunities and favorable top-line minutes because then his point production would match his talent and he'd be getting the recognition he deserves.

That would just increase his next contract anyway.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think he's good enough to be the Stars #2C next year. The kid is really good. Will be interesting to see if Dallas resign Duchene.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think he's good enough to be the Stars #2C next year. The kid is really good. Will be interesting to see if Dallas resign Duchene.

You could argue Dallas has 3 1Cs this year. Hintz, Duchene, and Johnston all are already over 60 points. And that's with relatively limited minutes because of the incredible forward depth the team has.

He's probably the 3rd best forward on the team already behind Robertson and Hintz. No reason to think he won't continue to improve either.

Reactions: piqued and Elysian

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Dallas drafts on easy mode.

Unreal at how they can find these guys/develop them.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Just a well run organization from top to bottom.

Also my wife was loving the jerseys last night, they really pop. Always felt this cool cyberpunk feel with them lol

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Also worth noting that Wyatt average's 16:55 TOI and plays on the second PP. The way Wyatt plays, I could see him as a future Selke nominee. Very excited to see how Wyatt progresses in the future.
his forecheck aggression and success is incredible. don't normally see that from the more offensive minded youngins right out of the gate.

I still can’t believe how pissed off I was on draft day when Dallas announced his name 😂. Thanks for proving me wrong, Nill and Mac.
lol stars board meltdown bc stank was still out there was epic. "who tf is this johnston guy?!"

• Haha
Reactions: starsfan86

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Just a well run organization from top to bottom.

Also my wife was loving the jerseys last night, they really pop. Always felt this cool cyberpunk feel with them lol

I got a text from my Mom this morning saying they looked 'snazzy' I told her.. most people hate them it seems. lol

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The really interesting thing is how many goals Wyatt has already scored. With his junior numbers you'd think he'd start his NHL career more as a setup man and his goal scoring slowly develops but nope right from the get go he was a goal scorer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Whoever is in charge of Dallas' scouting needs a big raise.

HF posters: "Any pick after the top 20 isn't worth much. Chances of that player even being a 4th liner is slim."

Dallas head scout: "Wanna bet?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad