Let’s talk about: Wyatt Johnston

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
F-ypznpWEAEDw4M

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah, probably 20 teams pissed they passed on him. Can still see Buffalo, Seattle and
Anaheim being ok with their selections. Everyone else should want a do over.

He was drafted after the covid year no playing right? It would have been a wild year fornscouting I bet

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Johnston
Hintz
Robertson
Pavelski
Benn
Seguin
Dadanov
Marchment
Duchene

….absolutely LOADED at forward wow (and all 9 of those players have at least one pt so far tonight)
With Stankoven on the way, Stars are absolutely loaded up front.

Think they need to go and add a top 4 D at the deadline (maybe Tanev?) and they are set for a deep run.

Funny how the Stars seemingly came out of nowhere. Looked like a no-mans-land team a few years ago with anchor contracts in Benn & Seguin.

Now, Benn has had a resurgence, Pavelski refuses to age, Heiskanen has become a top 5 Dman and Robertson/Hintz/Johnston are becoming (super)stars.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
With Stankoven on the way, Stars are absolutely loaded up front.

Think they need to go and add a top 4 D at the deadline (maybe Tanev?) and they are set for a deep run.

Funny how the Stars seemingly came out of nowhere. Looked like a no-mans-land team a few years ago with anchor contracts in Benn & Seguin.

Now, Benn has had a resurgence, Pavelski refuses to age, Heiskanen has become a top 5 Dman and Robertson/Hintz/Johnston are becoming (super)stars.
yeah, i thought he looked slower this year... yet he still has 13 pts in 14 games. and is the host for one wyatt johnston.

love the kid's game.. such great anticipation, always puck jacking the opponent.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He was drafted after the covid year no playing right? It would have been a wild year fornscouting I bet

Yes and the in his D+1 he won the CHL scoring title and most points of anyone in the OHL playoffs. Safe to say if he played in his draft year he would have been drafted much higher .

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes and the in his D+1 he won the CHL scoring title and most points of anyone in the OHL playoffs. Safe to say if he played in his draft year he would have been drafted much higher .

Yeah after that season I think anyone following prospects even remotely was kind of excited to see what kind of player Dallas got this late.

as someone who just stats watch prospects, I just saw 30 pts in D-1 and then suddenly 165 pts in 83 games (season + playoffs) - looked like incredible progression.

But at the time of the draft, he was going against guys who went to Europe, guys who had much better D-1 seasons (Bourgeault was over ppg already), etc. etc.

Most were wondering if the draft would look a little more random than usual, and I'm kind of surprised that Johnston is the only clear cut "steal" yet, and still was picked in the 1st round.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I remember when Dallas picked Johnston, everyone was upset and wanted Stankoven. Still funny how good Johnston turned out and then getting Stank in the second round

Reactions: starsfan86

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah after that season I think anyone following prospects even remotely was kind of excited to see what kind of player Dallas got this late.

as someone who just stats watch prospects, I just saw 30 pts in D-1 and then suddenly 165 pts in 83 games (season + playoffs) - looked like incredible progression.

But at the time of the draft, he was going against guys who went to Europe, guys who had much better D-1 seasons (Bourgeault was over ppg already), etc. etc.

Most were wondering if the draft would look a little more random than usual, and I'm kind of surprised that Johnston is the only clear cut "steal" yet, and still was picked in the 1st round.

Yes because so many guys barely or didn't play at all i thought maybe there would've been more later drafted prospects that would rather quickly show themselves to be steals but i guess missing almost a full year of development is nothing to scuff about.

When slower developing guy / later round picks start make the teams we'll get a clearer picture overall but Johnston seems to be the only guy that developed way faster than anyone expected

Reactions: abo9

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
WJ has been a lot of fun to watch this year, this guy is going to be a beast once he fills out. I could see Selke votes once he matures.

But Stars fans, while we have you here - what's the deal with Robo this season? I know he had a solid last game, but otherwise this season he's been pretty pedestrian. Not seeing even close to the shot volume of previous years, and seems to be floating along with mostly secondary assists and empty netters.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
WJ has been a lot of fun to watch this year, this guy is going to be a beast once he fills out. I could see Selke votes once he matures.

But Stars fans, while we have you here - what's the deal with Robo this season? I know he had a solid last game, but otherwise this season he's been pretty pedestrian. Not seeing even close to the shot volume of previous years, and seems to be floating along with mostly secondary assists and empty netters.

Powerplay was struggling pretty badly and teams are playing him differently. Not giving him as much space to shoot than last year especially not the powerplay . He'll adjust but its been noticeable how different teams are playing Robertson compared to last year .

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For the people that remember, a few seasons back I made a thread on Dallas Stars rookie forward Jason Robertson before he was a household name for the average hockey fan. I love looking back on this thread after seeing how far he has come,

Let’s talk about: Jason Robertson

Anyway, this thread is to discuss current Dallas Star Sophmore forward Wyatt Johnston who after the second period of tonight’s game against Minnesota, has 12 points in 13 games this season playing excellent hockey and so far has avoided a sophomore slump.

Just like with Robertson at the time, I don’t think Johnston is getting the respect he deserves around the NHL this season, this kid is one of the best young offensive forwards in the entire NHL yet you rarely hear anything from any media outlet. Well this is the thread where we can pump Johnston’s tires as he becomes a premier forward in the NHL like Robertson before him.
I was thinking about him yesterday and if not for the "lost" COVID year my bet is that he would have been drafted higher.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I was thinking about him yesterday and if not for the "lost" COVID year my bet is that he would have been drafted higher.
Without a doubt.

Spitfires fans remember that his rookie season started off slow then after the U17’s he was a point per game player for the second half of the season. He was electric, and as a 16 year old he was the best player on his line most nights.

Dallas got lucky with Covid, and Johnston deciding to not play anywhere. He probably would have made his way into the top-10 if not higher.

3rd Line

Feb 2, 2014
Sounds like a cowboy, plays for Dallas Stars, seems fitting.

The end.
In the spirit of your observation, it would also be fitting for Wyatt to have a nickname.
I propose "The Sheriff"
Don't know if Lawman, Wyatt Earp, held that exact title - but I think it sounds cool.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In the spirit of your observation, it would also be fitting for Wyatt to have a nickname.
I propose "The Sheriff"
Don't know if Lawman, Wyatt Earp, held that exact title - but I think it sounds cool.
Here is the list of his "occupations" from Wikipedia

Lawman, buffalo hunter, saloon keeper, miner, brothel keeper, boxing referee

Also Wyatt Earp had quite the stash.

1699924835096.png

Last edited:

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Every time I hear his name, I think about the time the announcer described him as “coming down the esophagus of the wild” on a goal he scored and I chuckle to myself.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Every time I hear his name, I think about the time the announcer described him as “coming down the esophagus of the wild” on a goal he scored and I chuckle to myself.
I know big brother Benn must have been proud as Benn once went through Hurricanes like poop through a diarrhea infected goose.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Tied for the 2021 Draft Class points lead. He wins the tiebreaker over Beniers as he has more goals, plus drafted later and didn't even play his DY (only 7 games in the U18 in the bottom 6 for Canada).

He's a beast. Hope Dallas gets a Cup in the next couple years.

Reactions: Szechwan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Envious of Nill and his staff being able to identify and develop so many exciting young players.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
One more off-season of getting slightly stronger/heavier and he will be a beast. The difference is already very noticeable this year but because of his age I think one more off-season will be massive.

Reactions: Klockis

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pretty sure he still lives with the Pavelskis so hopefully there's been some talk between Pavs's camp and Jim Nill on a new deal.

Or maybe Wyatt's already been shopping around for a new place in the area anyway, time to leave the nest. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad