Pre-Game Talk: Lers vs Leafs - Jan 4, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
This feud may be beneficial to the anti-Tippett crowd if it becomes prolonged. I don’t see Holland being a fan of this sort of controversy / rift.

The alternative is waiving/ trading Mikko.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
This feud may be beneficial to the anti-Tippett crowd if it becomes prolonged. I don’t see Holland being a fan of this sort of controversy / rift.

Koskinen sucks, but this is on Tippett. Mike Smith was absolutely brutal in his return for 2 straight games and it was crickets. And realistically as much as it feels good for Tippett to call out Koskinen for his garbage goaltending, it doesn't help the team any, which desperately needs to win now.

Both of them need to go really.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I understand being upset after loosing 232323 games in a row. But if Tippet was smart, he would use todays media availability to hand out an olive branch. None of this crap is doing anyone any favors.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

anti-tippett crowd??????

the whole freaking fanbase should be anti-tippett

Dallas Eakins is in our division, with arguably a less experience team, BETTER THAN US.

we are closer to Todd McLellen's LA Kings...

does any of this sit right with you?

Holland is day-drunk at the JW Marriott right now, he doesn't give a toss

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It should not be difficult, seeing as how he's one of the worst goaltenders in the league
Just like it shouldn't be difficult to acquire top 6 wingers.

Koskinen isn't a great goalie, but let's be real, he was grossly miscast by an organization that hasn't a single clue what they're doing.

Reactions: MoontoScott

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
What I'm trying to say is if played correctly it's not like McDavid will just vanish from the team:

A) McDavid is valuable to the Oilers so he'll be offered a very good extension early enough and he'll probably sign it.

B) If it seems McDavid won't be signing it early enough they can trade him early enough to get a core that may even make the team stronger.

That’s one thing the Oilers have proven they do extremely well, make assets vanish.

Reactions: Duke74

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Good for Mikko. I don't care how bad a goalie is...a coach doesn't throw the goalie under the bus, especially when the team can't score goals. I hope these comments cement the firing of Tippett
We know that Mikko is a gentleman and wouldn't do it, But his next start he should pull an Antonio Brown!

Reactions: McDrai and Oil53

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Guys, we have a terrible D where Tyson Barrie plays 20+ And we count on a full-blown rookie to carry the right side. This is a GM problem. The only goalie change that would actually make a difference is if we can bring in a Vezina-caliber game-stealing type. Generally speaking, they aren’t made available when they’re playing as well as we’d need them to be. We should fix the GM, then the top 4 D & middle 6 F, then the goaltending, then the coaching. What’s the point in bringing a new mediocre goalie or new mediocre coach with this roster. It’s Swiss cheese.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hard to call out smith when he’s been hurt all season…

He never called out Smith even when he was struggling the whole month of December 2019 in particular.

I'm a big fan of Smith but it's obvious that Tippett holds him to a much different standard than he holds Koskinen even if all else was equal and that's the kind of shit that causes locker room disharmony.

With that said, Koskinen firing back with the "Well, if the team only scored some goals" stuff was equally dumb considering that he's part of the reason why the team is down 1-0 all the time and has a .900 save pct.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Spongebob Filing 05012022092550.jpg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So the team loses McDavid, Ryan and Barrie, but get Kassian back?

Problem solved....yeah, this one is going to be rough.

I don't know if Smith can go, if he can, he should. If not, start Konavalov

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That’s one thing the Oilers have proven they do extremely well, make assets vanish.

Maybe, but I still can't (=don't want to) believe they'd do in a case like this. I'm not saying McDavid will be going anywhere, I just think the team COULD be highly insteresting even without him if the trade was handled properly.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I believe Koskinen would be full of fire after the last game and the talks in the media, but then again the situation wouldn't be ideal as he'd be under microscope and wondering what the guys and especially the coach think about him. I would also start Konovalov, it'd be good to see what we've got in him. I also don't know if Tippett and Koskinen fit in the same team.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

I don't think he should. He has been just as bad and got hurt after two starts.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I believe Koskinen would be full of fire after the last game and the talks in the media, but then again the situation wouldn't be ideal as he'd be under microscope and wondering what the guys and especially the coach think about him. I would also start Konovalov, it'd be good to see what we've got in him. I also don't know if Tippett and Koskinen fit in the same team.
Again, NO, Koskinen never gets anything other then underwhelming. I honestly wouldn't play him again. If he doesn't want grief, he doesn't need to play.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Again, NO, Koskinen never gets anything other then underwhelming. I honestly wouldn't play him again. If he doesn't want grief, he doesn't need to play.

That is not correct but I'll drop this now. It's not like it bothers me Koskinen's better performances are forgotten, but there's evidence in the media and here that there's been better times as well. It's not THAT many games ago when you were pretty much the only one wanting to trade him. I do admit in that regard you were right that it'd been a better time to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad