Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No seeing what you're seeing. McDavid performs, plays, and act like a captain. Enough said.
McDavid was given the C prematurely IMO. We should have had better leaders on the team to not have to force McD assume the leader role.

Having said that, giving it to Drai would be worse.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
McDavid's a great captain. He should keep the C. He's a class act.

But I think Drai should be given an 'A'. In favour of who? Lucic or Larsson? They are both struggling, so it might kill 2 bird with 1 stone by sending one of them a message and giving Drai the 'A'.

My preference would be Lucic.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
McDavid's a great captain. He should keep the C. He's a class act.

But I think Drai should be given an 'A'. In favour of who? Lucic or Larsson? They are both struggling, so it might kill 2 bird with 1 stone by sending one of them a message and giving Drai the 'A'.

My preference would be Lucic.
I don't think stripping Lucic/Larsson of their "A" would send them a message so much as lower their confidence even more.

I agree Drai deseves a letter though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tiffels pass to Draisaitl on the last goal was also pretty sweet (usually the kind of pass Drai does).

Here you can watch all the goals (German commentary):

The sequence for the last goal starts at 2:50.

His hattrick goal was pretty filthy as well.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Tiffels pass to Draisaitl on the last goal was also pretty sweet (usually the kind of pass Drai does).

Here you can watch all the goals (German commentary):

The sequence for the last goal starts at 2:50.

Haha, those announcers are hard riding Drai's nuts even when he's not on the ice.

By my ear and elementary Deutch; During the Austrian goal they are just talking about how Leon is the best player in this whole euro cup by a large margin. They mention his 50 goals in those highlights atleast twice. Every other highlight they are talking about how Leon and any combo he's put with is just absolutely taking over the game.

Awesome.

His hattrick goal was pretty filthy as well.

Yeah, thought the finish was better than the pass.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly draisaitl shot has improved leaps and bounds and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s above a player like Matthews in goals for majority of the rest of his career
It’s lethal now.

His skating and shot are so improved.

He’s no longer a product of McDavid

Reactions: B33K33PING

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
His wrist shot is on par with Matthews.
I don't think Drai has the speed of release of Matthews, but he's not far off, either. I mean, last season Drai shot at 21.6%, and Matthews at 14.7%. Wow.

(Completely off-topic, but I really think the Maple Leafs are one day going to regret that Matthews' contract. It was too much, too soon, and too player-friendly, which is why they're on pins & needles with Marner now.)

The Draisaitl contract was one of Chiarelli's only great moves.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Drai has the speed of release of Matthews, but he's not far off, either. I mean, last season Drai shot at 21.6%, and Matthews at 14.7%. Wow.

(Completely off-topic, but I really think the Maple Leafs are one day going to regret that Matthews' contract. It was too much, too soon, and too player-friendly, which is why they're on pins & needles with Marner now.)

The Draisaitl contract was one of Chiarelli's only great moves.
The Matthews contract is bad. Imagine a guy who has never hit 75 points and who has never been on pace for even 90 points over a full 82 games is making 866k less than Connor McDavid despite signing for 5 years instead of 8. Not to mention his defensive game was not good at all this past season. The "selke level" talk is an absolute myth. Terrible negotiating by Dubas.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would be surprised if Draisaitl scores more goals than Matthews from here on. Matthews strikes me as more of a striker (ha, ha), despite being a center. His effectiveness is mainly his shot and his goal-scoring.

Draisaitl, on the other hand, is more of a playmaker and striker in about equal proportions. If he stays healthy and motivated, I could see him being an overall better player than (injury-prone) Matthews, for sure.

Draisaitl is a bit like Messier in 1981-82 when he scored 50 goals. I doubt we'll see that again...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would be surprised if Draisaitl scores more goals than Matthews from here on. Matthews strikes me as more of a striker (ha, ha), despite being a center. His effectiveness is mainly his shot and his goal-scoring.

Draisaitl, on the other hand, is more of a playmaker and striker in about equal proportions. If he stays healthy and motivated, I could see him being an overall better player than (injury-prone) Matthews, for sure.

Draisaitl is a bit like Messier in 1981-82 when he scored 50 goals. I doubt we'll see that again...

German engineering > Murica engineering.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Fine tuned German Engineering. Gets told to shoot more and boom 50 goals. Incredible player on an incredible contract. There were 3 things Chia actually did well and those were Leons, Connors and Oscars contracts. Absolute steals every one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad