Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
On that specific Kassian assist (was a good pass) I thought thats why I hate when people say 2nd assists dont count or shouldnt. Aint no goal without another awesome Drai backhand pass to launch the puck up ice

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On that specific Kassian assist (was a good pass) I thought thats why I hate when people say 2nd assists dont count or shouldnt. Aint no goal without another awesome Drai backhand pass to launch the puck up ice

Yeah, I mentioned earlier Drai is the only one that can make that saucer pass into space, with the perfect weight, that would get to that spot and be caught up to. Anybody else on the team tries to do that pass and its icing. Not only could Drai foresee what that pass could create but has the mechanics to do it. Nobody makes that pass. Drai does it so habitually he hardly gets credit for it.

Kass is going to love playing with these two. I hope he gets 20 games. Would transform his intensity and focus back to where it needs to be.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Lol that even Snet chronically underestimates Leon. He was the best player on the ice last night, it could only even be argued that McD was equal or slightly better, but theres the 3 stars and Drai isn't one. Its Connor, Koski, and Kass. Drai scores a beautiful deflection goal and creates the winning goal with a great curling shot pass up ice to an open area that only he could do. He created the odd man rush, the breakout. Not only does he have the vision, but he has the technique to make this play. Kass is able to work it to McD who does the rest.

On the night Drai setup McD and Kass lots with a sublime one touch pass to Kassian wide open in the slot. So many transition plays and great setups he makes they hardly even get noticed.

This is no knock on Kassian, I knew he would be good on the day but to snub Drai as a star on a goal and assist night is typical.

In the telecast Quinn didn't even credit Drai for the pass. They announced the goal from McD and "Kassian with the assist" On two other instances Drai controls and clears the puck in own zone and Quinn says Manning did it instead.

I wouldn't even comment on such things but that its so common with the broadcasts to not even mention what Drai does out there.

DeBrusk explicitly talked about how Draisaitl made the goal possible immediately after it happened. There are some idiots who will complain about Draisaitl for no reason (just as there are idiots who complain about clearly the best player in the league somehow not doing enough), but there is no grand conspiracy against Draisaitl. He's elite and recognized as so by the overwhelming majority of fans and media.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
My issue is with Drai having to play with McDavid all game long.

McDavid is a horse and I think Drai wears down (and every one else that plays with him)

Need to find a way to get McDavids wingers more rest time during the game

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I noticed today that he is 17th in league cap hit and 8th in league scoring. After this off-season he will certainly be a bit lower in league salary as well, with guys like Panarin, Bobrovsky, Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone all being UFA. Wouldn't shock me if he was about 20th in league salary after this year. All that for a guy who has just entered his prime scoring years at 23. He should be at about this current level for the next 3-4 years, until he starts to drop off around 27-ish.

I still think he got paid about $1 million too much, but he's very likely going to be close to a steal of a deal by the last 4 years of his contract.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I noticed today that he is 17th in league cap hit and 8th in league scoring. After this off-season he will certainly be a bit lower in league salary as well, with guys like Panarin, Bobrovsky, Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone all being UFA. Wouldn't shock me if he was about 20th in league salary after this year. All that for a guy who has just entered his prime scoring years at 23. He should be at about this current level for the next 3-4 years, until he starts to drop off around 27-ish.

I still think he got paid about $1 million too much, but he's very likely going to be close to a steal of a deal by the last 4 years of his contract.

I agree that had Chia been a better negotiator the number could have been a bit lower. But the key to any long term deal is to be on the winning side of the salary debate for at least half the deal. And as you say this is very likely going to be the case. This is why when comparing salaries I try to do it by looking as closely as possible at projections that use the midpoint of the contract adjusted for inflation.

Reactions: Aerrol

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Let's all show him our support and vote him in the all-star game. He destroys everyone else on the pacific division ballot with 51 pts, no-one is even 10 pts behind him
We can vote up to 10 times every 24 hours. Voting ends on Jan. 10:

NHL All-Star Last Men In

In the Oilers interview today, when asked about the all-star, he was all smiles. He seems happy just to be on the ballot, imagine if he actually wins.
Happy Drai Happy Life

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Why would they encourage you to vote 10 times? What the heck is the point of that?

There is literally just a button you have to hit 9 more times once you have voted. How stupid is that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They then can say how many voted like it was a lot.

This. Its pathetic. Plus you have to register online with the NHL and otherwise can't vote. I hope they allow paper ballots in the arena and in public areas of Rogers as well. Shouldn't just be people online voting.

Somebody explain to me how both Schiefele and Wheeler are both in the ASG and Draisaitl isn't. He's ahead of both of them in scoring race and is also a bigger factor on his club respectively. The Jets have far more depth than the Oilers do. All of McD, Drai, Nuge, have to play a bigger role here because essentially they are it.

meh. I don't watch the ASG or support how its contrived. I think on some level the omission of certain players just speaks to bias and illustrates it for all to see.

Plus on first to the polls fan voting isn't it easier for a place like LA metro area, with more population than Western Canada to just vote in say Kopitar?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Well my email will now surely be getting junk mail from nhl.com but I gotta support Drai.

Thanks to the people who posted link. I never really care for all star game so dont vote but 8th in scoring needs some love

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll do my part and vote for Drai. The reality is that all 3 of Conmor, Drai and Nuge should be there given how much they mean to the team and how well they've done with a less than stellar supporting cast.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'll do my part and vote for Drai. The reality is that all 3 of Conmor, Drai and Nuge should be there given how much they mean to the team and how well they've done with a less than stellar supporting cast.

Drai yes, RNH no. I love RNH, will defend him against pretty much anybody, but he should not be in this years all-star game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Drai yes, RNH no. I love RNH, will defend him against pretty much anybody, but he should not be in this years all-star game.

I'd have to look at the stats of everyone there, I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 guys that he should be there over.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'd rather see Draisaitl get extra days rest instead of going to the ASG lol

ASG is 100% meaningless.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd rather see Draisaitl get extra days rest instead of going to the ASG lol

ASG is 100% meaningless.

Yeah, I'm fine with this as well. Plus I like Drai with a chip on his shoulder. I think some part of him likes the aspect of being passed over. As he's passing over almost everybody in the league on his way to excellence. Remember when we were saying things like Malkin-light or German-Kopitar. He's actually passed his star cohorts. He's on a pace that would have been in the running for Hart trophy the last 2 seasons (of course he'd place 2nd but..)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad