Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by The Nuge, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

I don't detect this poster taking that position. At least not serially like "some posters" that are always critiquing Drai. Those are easy to spot.

2. fuswald

fuswald I'd Be Fired

I like how you left out Matthews

3. Drivesaitl

Thanks for posting this. Agreed.

Its always the risk vs reward. Good players that succeed, and Drai surely does, are pretty good usually at evaluating what is working, and working well, and not working.

4. frag2

frag2 Registered User

Agreed. He just needs to pick when to do them and when to hang onto the puck a bit longer....or maybe just turn around.

5. McLovin

McLovin Tier 2 fan

Absolutely. Drai will be very successful in his career. I think his contract is excellent with the term and production.

One thing some posters have to realize around here is that some of the criticism is constructive. It's not loaded with venom. We're not just sh**ing on so-and-so's favorite player to start an argument.

6. McLovin

McLovin Tier 2 fan

Sorry, I skipped over this post somehow. Trust me it was not my intention to Drai bash. The relentless ones bother me just as much as you. I try to avoid the topic for that very reason.

7. FrmrPlyr

FrmrPlyr Registered User

He is a great young player and we are lucky to have him but games last night give fuel to those who wish to complain about him. He totally didn't show up.

8. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

I understand what you're saying here but I dont think this is completely true unless you think that Drai is a finished product. If you do think that then you are mistaken.

Drai is far from a finished product at this time and as such he has elements in his game that needs to get cleaned up IMO. Trying to force/rush plays is something he can process better and I think with more experience he will do that.

I think when he is 26 years old we will see him making better decisions. He is already a very good player and he is just going to get better.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

I think better puck management will happen over time especially with Hitch as his coach. Drai can be better and I think he will be but its going to take some time.
    In the mean time he is going to make these dumb passes more than he should be.

Doesnt mean that he should be above being held accountable for it though.

Thats how I see it anyway.

frag2 likes this.
  10. StevenF1919

StevenF1919 Registered User

Draisaitl back being babysat with McDavid again. When will he learn to produce on his own?

11. Zaddy

Zaddy star shopping

And he's back from the dead! I missed you @StevenF1919.

While we're at it, how's your #1D and top10 d-man in the league Hamilton doing this year? Guy has 5 fewer points than Klefbom in 4 additional games, while being -13. Elite!

12. MessierII

MessierII Registered User

That corsi though....

Oilhawks likes this.
  13. Drivesaitl

Its hilarious. But even Snet is no better. Drai is the Oiler player of the game tonight, easily. Get a goal and an assist, even some pk time, very physical, solid 200ft game, neither of the goals happen without him, and Connor is the default Oilers star, like always, even though Drai was driving as much as the action and scored.

But lets recap

First goal. Drai is double teamed along the boards on a PP, somehow eludes two defenders, saves the possession, and dumps a perfect pass off the boards (the only place he could put it) right on McD's stick. Because 3/4 Nucks on the ice were focused on Drai Nuge is wide open parked in the slot. Really not even a difficult pass for McD to make. Drai made the play, even the telecast acknowledged.

2nd Goal. Only Drais shot on this team scores that goal walking in and just hammering it into a corner. Both benches going holy ****. Got all of that one.

14. Zaddy

Zaddy star shopping

It's fun to look at his ice time too. For a #1D he sure isn't playing much.

17:26 tonight, 5th most TOI for the Canes, only TVR played fewer minutes. And 3 of those 17 minutes were on the PP.

Game before that he only played 15:41 against the Bruins, again the least minutes except for TVR.

The guy is being deployed as a 3rd pair defenseman and he's not even getting the prime minutes on the PP, he is on the 2nd unit.

Elite #1D my ass :laugh:

Guess you can't judge players from excel sheets after all.

15. GreatKeith

GreatKeith Only In Last Every Regular Season

Accountant
    Leon should change his last name to Dangerfield.

Oilhawks likes this.
  16. major major

major major Registered User

It's funny, McDavid's scoring rate is twice as high with Draisaitl compared to without him.

Jarvi and Kofi Annan like this.
  17. Canada Drai

Canada Drai Dwemer Remix

Watched the post-game comments tonight and he looked hella sick. Must have McDavid's flu.

18. Pointteen

Pointteen Registered User

As soon as he coughed in the interview I got concerned.

Canada Drai likes this.
  19. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

What a game from #29 last night. Hell of a one timer, wicked backhand goal and then he nearly potted the game tying goal late. Watching Connor, Leon and Nuge has been awesome this season, we just need a 4th high end guy to help Nuge on the 2nd line. When Drai is on, he is straight up dominant.

Duke74 likes this.
  20. Zaddy

Zaddy star shopping

On pace for 45 goals and 105 points at almost exactly the half-way mark of the season and 8th in scoring in the entire league.

Anyone still want to argue that he is not worth his contract?

TB12, Del Preston and Oilhawks like this.
  21. talitintti

talitintti Registered User

To add, there isn't a player top 10 in scoring that's not playing with elite players. Most of them with more than Draisaitl.

Drivesaitl, Zaddy and Oilhawks like this.
  22. MessierII

MessierII Registered User

Oh I’m sure they’re still out there.

23. talitintti

talitintti Registered User

McDrai should be kept together at least as long as there are no real top 6 wingers in the team. Team seems to always play the best when they are together and whenever separated that usually lasts only for a short while.

Playing two AHL players aside them and hoping they carry the junk just doesn't work as well.

24. Drivesaitl

Lol that even Snet chronically underestimates Leon. He was the best player on the ice last night, it could only even be argued that McD was equal or slightly better, but theres the 3 stars and Drai isn't one. Its Connor, Koski, and Kass. Drai scores a beautiful deflection goal and creates the winning goal with a great curling shot pass up ice to an open area that only he could do. He created the odd man rush, the breakout. Not only does he have the vision, but he has the technique to make this play. Kass is able to work it to McD who does the rest.

On the night Drai setup McD and Kass lots with a sublime one touch pass to Kassian wide open in the slot. So many transition plays and great setups he makes they hardly even get noticed.

This is no knock on Kassian, I knew he would be good on the day but to snub Drai as a star on a goal and assist night is typical.

In the telecast Quinn didn't even credit Drai for the pass. They announced the goal from McD and "Kassian with the assist" On two other instances Drai controls and clears the puck in own zone and Quinn says Manning did it instead.

I wouldn't even comment on such things but that its so common with the broadcasts to not even mention what Drai does out there.

Aerrol and Oilhawks like this.
  25. SavesFromKosko

SavesFromKosko Registered User

He was also snubbed the All-star game IMO. Hes 8th in the league for bloody sake.

Duke74 and Oilhawks like this.