Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Don't play the sensitive card when there's quite a large number of people who are ready to pounce literally the second that one of Draisaitl's passes don't work. All of you guys need to learn how to appreciate what Draisaitl provides to this team on offense instead of taking it for granted. If he never makes risky passes I'd garuantee he'd have less points than RNH right now. He makes those passes because he's good enough to make them work. The worst that could happen is a turnover in the offensive zone, which other players on this team commit habitually even without trying risky plays.

I don't detect this poster taking that position. At least not serially like "some posters" that are always critiquing Drai. Those are easy to spot.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Really? Look at the top 10 or even top 20 in NHL scoring. Virtually EVERY player has another elite linemate to "leech" points off of: Gaudreau and Monahan, Pastrnak and Marchand/Bergeron, Kucherov and Stamkos, Ovechkin and Backstrom, McKinnon and Rantanen, Marner and Tavares, Eichel and Skinner, Sheifele and Wheeler....I could go on all day. Take any of those players, put them with Lucic and Yamamoto or some bottom-line forward on their own team, and see their fancy stats plummet.
I like how you left out Matthews

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Nobody denies that it's happening. What we're saying is that it comes with the territory of being a player through whom offense flows. When you try to play the puck into the middle of the ice you are going to turn it over 4 in 5 times no matter who you are.

There is a reason the shortlist of giveaway leaders at the end of every season is loaded with top offensive talent.

Thanks for posting this. Agreed.

Its always the risk vs reward. Good players that succeed, and Drai surely does, are pretty good usually at evaluating what is working, and working well, and not working.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The no look back passes and occasional lazy pass are there for all to see. I have no idea why someone would be defensive about that.

I think these are elements of maturity as a player and I expect that part of his game to get cleaned up over time.

For some posters to deny that this is happening though is really odd.

Agreed. He just needs to pick when to do them and when to hang onto the puck a bit longer....or maybe just turn around.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Not at all, feel free to express an opinion. You are not inflexible on the subject like some. I wasn't trying to pile on, just responding, and you've displayed that you respond to information and some explanation. Sure players should learn about what works, what isn't, its a continual process. leon does that better than most players. its why he has around 160 assists already in the NHL and he just turned 23. He's looking like he'll be the first 1000pt German player ever. It could happen for him.

One thing though, is Leon sometimes forces plays in goal down situations where the prospects are looking bleak. sometimes the plays are score effects things when the game is not going well. This also being a product of a lineup that is often very limited in production. Its compensation, which is often a bad thing. maturity and experience does improve some of that.
Absolutely. Drai will be very successful in his career. I think his contract is excellent with the term and production.

One thing some posters have to realize around here is that some of the criticism is constructive. It's not loaded with venom. We're not just sh**ing on so-and-so's favorite player to start an argument.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Don't play the sensitive card when there's quite a large number of people who are ready to pounce literally the second that one of Draisaitl's passes don't work. All of you guys need to learn how to appreciate what Draisaitl provides to this team on offense instead of taking it for granted. If he never makes risky passes I'd garuantee he'd have less points than RNH right now. He makes those passes because he's good enough to make them work. The worst that could happen is a turnover in the offensive zone, which other players on this team commit habitually even without trying risky plays.
Sorry, I skipped over this post somehow. Trust me it was not my intention to Drai bash. The relentless ones bother me just as much as you. I try to avoid the topic for that very reason.

FrmrPlyr

Dec 17, 2018
He is a great young player and we are lucky to have him but games last night give fuel to those who wish to complain about him. He totally didn't show up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nobody denies that it's happening. What we're saying is that it comes with the territory of being a player through whom offense flows. When you try to play the puck into the middle of the ice you are going to turn it over 4 in 5 times no matter who you are.

There is a reason the shortlist of giveaway leaders at the end of every season is loaded with top offensive talent.

I understand what you're saying here but I dont think this is completely true unless you think that Drai is a finished product. If you do think that then you are mistaken.

Drai is far from a finished product at this time and as such he has elements in his game that needs to get cleaned up IMO. Trying to force/rush plays is something he can process better and I think with more experience he will do that.

I think when he is 26 years old we will see him making better decisions. He is already a very good player and he is just going to get better.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed. He just needs to pick when to do them and when to hang onto the puck a bit longer....or maybe just turn around.

I think better puck management will happen over time especially with Hitch as his coach. Drai can be better and I think he will be but its going to take some time.
In the mean time he is going to make these dumb passes more than he should be.

Doesnt mean that he should be above being held accountable for it though.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
And he's back from the dead! I missed you @StevenF1919.

While we're at it, how's your #1D and top10 d-man in the league Hamilton doing this year? Guy has 5 fewer points than Klefbom in 4 additional games, while being -13. Elite!

Its hilarious. But even Snet is no better. Drai is the Oiler player of the game tonight, easily. Get a goal and an assist, even some pk time, very physical, solid 200ft game, neither of the goals happen without him, and Connor is the default Oilers star, like always, even though Drai was driving as much as the action and scored.

But lets recap

First goal. Drai is double teamed along the boards on a PP, somehow eludes two defenders, saves the possession, and dumps a perfect pass off the boards (the only place he could put it) right on McD's stick. Because 3/4 Nucks on the ice were focused on Drai Nuge is wide open parked in the slot. Really not even a difficult pass for McD to make. Drai made the play, even the telecast acknowledged.

2nd Goal. Only Drais shot on this team scores that goal walking in and just hammering it into a corner. Both benches going holy f***. Got all of that one.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That corsi though....

It's fun to look at his ice time too. For a #1D he sure isn't playing much.

17:26 tonight, 5th most TOI for the Canes, only TVR played fewer minutes. And 3 of those 17 minutes were on the PP.

Game before that he only played 15:41 against the Bruins, again the least minutes except for TVR.

The guy is being deployed as a 3rd pair defenseman and he's not even getting the prime minutes on the PP, he is on the 2nd unit.

Elite #1D my ass :laugh:

Guess you can't judge players from excel sheets after all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a game from #29 last night. Hell of a one timer, wicked backhand goal and then he nearly potted the game tying goal late. Watching Connor, Leon and Nuge has been awesome this season, we just need a 4th high end guy to help Nuge on the 2nd line. When Drai is on, he is straight up dominant.

Reactions: Duke74

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
On pace for 45 goals and 105 points at almost exactly the half-way mark of the season and 8th in scoring in the entire league.

Anyone still want to argue that he is not worth his contract?

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
McDrai should be kept together at least as long as there are no real top 6 wingers in the team. Team seems to always play the best when they are together and whenever separated that usually lasts only for a short while.

Playing two AHL players aside them and hoping they carry the junk just doesn't work as well.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Lol that even Snet chronically underestimates Leon. He was the best player on the ice last night, it could only even be argued that McD was equal or slightly better, but theres the 3 stars and Drai isn't one. Its Connor, Koski, and Kass. Drai scores a beautiful deflection goal and creates the winning goal with a great curling shot pass up ice to an open area that only he could do. He created the odd man rush, the breakout. Not only does he have the vision, but he has the technique to make this play. Kass is able to work it to McD who does the rest.

On the night Drai setup McD and Kass lots with a sublime one touch pass to Kassian wide open in the slot. So many transition plays and great setups he makes they hardly even get noticed.

This is no knock on Kassian, I knew he would be good on the day but to snub Drai as a star on a goal and assist night is typical.

In the telecast Quinn didn't even credit Drai for the pass. They announced the goal from McD and "Kassian with the assist" On two other instances Drai controls and clears the puck in own zone and Quinn says Manning did it instead.

I wouldn't even comment on such things but that its so common with the broadcasts to not even mention what Drai does out there.

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lol that even Snet chronically underestimates Leon. He was the best player on the ice last night, it could only even be argued that McD was equal or slightly better, but theres the 3 stars and Drai isn't one. Its Connor, Koski, and Kass. Drai scores a beautiful deflection goal and creates the winning goal with a great curling shot pass up ice to an open area that only he could do. He created the odd man rush, the breakout. Not only does he have the vision, but he has the technique to make this play. Kass is able to work it to McD who does the rest.

On the night Drai setup McD and Kass lots with a sublime one touch pass to Kassian wide open in the slot. So many transition plays and great setups he makes they hardly even get noticed.

This is no knock on Kassian, I knew he would be good on the day but to snub Drai as a star on a goal and assist night is typical.

In the telecast Quinn didn't even credit Drai for the pass. They announced the goal from McD and "Kassian with the assist" On two other instances Drai controls and clears the puck in own zone and Quinn says Manning did it instead.

I wouldn't even comment on such things but that its so common with the broadcasts to not even mention what Drai does out there.
He was also snubbed the All-star game IMO. Hes 8th in the league for bloody sake.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->