Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I edited my post too, re reading it the tone came off worse then I wanted. I do a lot of lurking so saw a lot of the BS but only do post game threads not the game day so I'm sure am missing lots.

I was just hoping this thread would have some positivity. The team lost but I thought Drai looked good, held his own vs Malkin and Kessel and created/cashed in some chances

Its all good. you're a fair poster and I take feedback from posters that conduct like yourself in an instant. So my apologies for being impacted last night. (but really due to the previous month of viewing here)

I think there are a lot of positive signs but that Chiasson looked like a better fit than anybody we've seen thus far is good and bad. Chiasson is a notoriously up and down player who will have nights like that and then be benched and scoreless after in his doldrums.

We can be optimistic about how one night went, holding our own against a formidable club. But this club is going balls to the wall and maintaining an effort level and using up their big guns to a degree that won't be sustainable. Unfortunately this is a lineup bereft of depth. The best we can hope for is some of the border offensive players like Reider, Strome, Lucic, Pulju heat up. We absolutely require it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've said several times that Leon needs to be better. It's you guys who are dismissing the weak linemate "excuse". It's a legit reason why a playmaking center is struggling.

I'm still waiting for somebody to show me another of his peers that work with so little.
Just because he makes 8.5M, that doesn't mean he can turn water into wine.

I am not dismissing anything. I am simply trying to point out that these excuses about Leons line mates being the reason for his poor play are nonsense.

Case in point....Leon played his best game of the season last night.
Was he playing with more talented wingers...no he wasn't.
He was however playing with a much greater sense of urgency in both ends of the ice and it made a huge difference. Where was this version of Leon in the first 6 games? Nowhere to be found.

In any event it was good to see him elevate his game. Now he needs to maintain some consistency.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't see it that way at all. I think everyone in here who is defending Draisaitl recognizes that he can play better and needs to be better. I think people are just trying to provide context to Drai's struggles. No one is saying he doesn't own any responsibility for his play, but I think you have to be cognizant of the fact that he has not really been put in a situation to succeed with the linemates he's been given either. Just looking at this caphit and then concluding he sucks because he hasn't produced without McDavid is way too simplistic for my taste.

Some posters are in fact pointing the finger at other factors first and Leon second.
They have it backwards IMO.
Last nights game pretty much proved that Leon can elevate his game regardless of who his line mates are.
Its disappointing to say the least that it took him until the 7th game of the season to do this but better late than never.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oilers just need to find the right players for Draisaitl to play with(thanks captain obvious). That isn’t always easy, the Penguins struggle at times to find the right players for Crosby too. Unfortunately I’m not sure those players are on this team, outside of McDavid of course.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Please produce your scouting report then Mr. Eyeball test.

Youth:
Guy went 2OA in the 2012 CHL import draft.
Guy went 3OA 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Pedigree: His father was a pro in Europe and currently an active coach in Europe.

Size: 6'2" 220+ lbs

Has done nothing but produce in the NHL, World Cup, and World Champs.
He is currently 22. (can't stress that enough to you guys)
Great passing ability forehand and backhand.
A rare breed as a big, play-making center. He can handle the puck, is strong enough to carry it through traffic and makes smart decisions with it.
Consistently demonstrates a goal-scorers shot at all levels.

As much as I cheer for the Oilers I'd love to see Drai hoist the cup if/when you run him out. In 3-5 years he'll be THE big center every team covets. Meanwhile 1PPG for the 22 year old isn't good enough for Oiler fans.

Cheapo Edmontonians can't get the $8.5 M from Chia past your eyes is all. Just lol at y'all running this guy down and likely out of town like you did Arnott and Ebs. Enjoy Strome btw, looked great in OT last night.

ya he's a good player but has basically played very mediocre or poor when not with connor. yes he has potential to become what you say he might but it hasn't looked promising in the last two years when he's not with connor outside of a good playoff run. he's 1ppg but what would he be if he had to drive his own line?.... 0.5-0.6ppg? right now he looks like a great sidekick for connor and that's it. i hope he can become much more but he'll have to prove it. i'm not ready to give up on him by any stretch and yes he's only 23 but he'd better start figuring it out soon on his own line.

ps. ebs still sucks .... wouldn't want him back.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Wait, but he gave pucks away, looked lazy on a few shifts, was riding off McDavid coat tails, and he should do something himself.

Amiright..

pfffft

A lot of you, you included, have been riding this player since the first exhibition game. Which seemed awfully preloaded commentary to me. There was a chorus of "Draisaitl should get his head out of his ass" comments before the team even got to Cologne. The posting on this player has been a complete joke. I'll bring that to attention.

he does need to get his head out of his a$$... he had a decent game last night. good. i want to see at least that every night or most nights.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really hope people can start appreciating Drai more. 4 goals last 3 games. McDavid had a point on two of them I believe but had a very negligible impact on those goals. Far from the "gravy points" people love to talk about.

Reactions: Aerrol and Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Another great game from Drai. 2 goals and bloodied face.

Reider-Drai-Chiasson is shaping up real nice right now.

Reactions: ujju2

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What's that? Draisaitl playing well once he gets a winger he has chemistry with and after getting off to his usual slow start (during which he was still putting up PPG?)?

WHO WOULDA THUNK.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's that? Draisaitl playing well once he gets a winger he has chemistry with and after getting off to his usual slow start (during which he was still putting up PPG?)?

WHO WOULDA THUNK.

That's it exactly. You know that I've been saying it since September. Rieder helps Drai, Yama doesn't at all. Did you see the 2 on 1 today with Yama and Drai and Yama completely freezes and screws up the pass across. So awkward.

Play Pulju, Lucic, Rieder with Drai alternating, those are the players that are working with him.

Lucic and Drai are quietly having chemistry this year around the net on bang bang plays. People not noting that much.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That's it exactly. You know that I've been saying it since September. Rieder helps Drai, Yama doesn't at all. Did you see the 2 on 1 today with Yama and Drai and Yama completely freezes and screws up the pass across. So awkward.

Play Pulju, Lucic, Rieder with Drai alternating, those are the players that are working with him.

Lucic and Drai are quietly having chemistry this year around the net on bang bang plays. People not noting that much.

Yamamoto seems to work much better with McDavid's line because his only setting is GO GO GO (basically, Caggiula with less physicality and better hands). He doesn't seem to have a sense for how to vary pace like Draisaitl loves to do.

Agreed about Lucic actually, I wonder if McLellan gives Lucic another shot with Drai despite how painful it has looked every time it's been tried other than the 2017 playoffs. I will note, though, that almost all the beauty Lucic setups to Drai are coming either on the powerplay or when Lucic is still in zone with possession and Draisaitl comes off the bench to finish the play. AKA times when Lucic doesn't have to attempt to keep up with Drai on zone entries, lol. I suspect that might be why these plays are working - Lucic is already there and just has to move the puck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another great game from Drai. 2 goals and bloodied face.

Reider-Drai-Chiasson is shaping up real nice right now.

This was a Rocket Richard type performance. Only better thing would be it happening again in playoffs. Didn't take long for Leon to get back on ice. That was some ugly stiches though. SOOOO close to the eye. That kind of injury can play with a guys head.

Still think Johansson should be suspended. The NHL is saying they protect players, they protect star players. Well, a starring career very nearly ended today. We should be seeing a review and suspension.
Good on the Oilers bench and coaching though being very animated to bring the highstick to the attention of officials and then calling out Leon as he was bleeding to get 4mins. How that wasn't 5 is anybodies guess. That was pure intent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamamoto seems to work much better with McDavid's line because his only setting is GO GO GO (basically, Caggiula with less physicality and better hands). He doesn't seem to have a sense for how to vary pace like Draisaitl loves to do.

Agreed about Lucic actually, I wonder if McLellan gives Lucic another shot with Drai despite how painful it has looked every time it's been tried other than the 2017 playoffs. I will note, though, that almost all the beauty Lucic setups to Drai are coming either on the powerplay or when Lucic is still in zone with possession and Draisaitl comes off the bench to finish the play. AKA times when Lucic doesn't have to attempt to keep up with Drai on zone entries, lol. I suspect that might be why these plays are working - Lucic is already there and just has to move the puck.

Not the topic of the thread but offensively Yama isn't working anywhere. He's blowing countless chances. He's not ready to be getting them. 3mins in he should have scored. If you're on a line with Connor your getting multiple scoring chances/night and he has 2 pts on the year. We need Rattie back.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not the topic of the thread but offensively Yama isn't working anywhere. He's blowing countless chances. He's not ready to be getting them. 3mins in he should have scored. If you're on a line with Connor your getting multiple scoring chances/night and he has 2 pts on the year. We need Rattie back.

The scoring isn't there but you've gotta admit that he's playing really well in a support role.
With that said, I think you move Rattie back to that line and Yama to the 3rd but Cagguila deserves to stay there and Pulju is still sitting in the pressbox so I really don't know what they can do with so many players playing well in their role.

I don't know, I wouldn't tinker with this lineup right now. I'd send Pulju down to Bakersfield for starters because he needs to play in offensive situations and I'm not sure where he fits in this lineup right now especially when Rattie returns. Seriously, where does he slot in? I really don't know. I'm even struggling to find a spot for Rattie right now.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The scoring isn't there but you've gotta admit that he's playing really well in a support role.
With that said, I think you move Rattie back to that line and Yama to the 3rd but Cagguila deserves to stay there and Pulju is still sitting in the pressbox so I really don't know what they can do with so many players playing well in their role.

I don't know, I wouldn't tinker with this lineup right now. I'd send Pulju down to Bakersfield for starters because he needs to play in offensive situations and I'm not sure where he fits in this lineup right now especially when Rattie returns. Seriously, where does he slot in? I really don't know. I'm even struggling to find a spot for Rattie right now.

Pulju slots in with Drai and Rieder, easily. Chiasson is not a consistent answer as a 2nd line forward. Lets not let a few goals entice us. We've seen the career. he was uninvolved today. It was basically the Drai-Rieder show on that line today. With a proper 3rd they would be dominant. Pulju is too good to not be in the lineup and we need to develop him, not Chiasson who is simply a fill player.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I really like Drai and Reider together but 39 needs to go. I would like to see Marody given a shot on that line. He has the smarts and hands to play with 29. 98 would be a good choice but his play is too erratic at this time. Play 98 on 3rd line with Strome.

space321

May 11, 2011
I really like Drai and Reider together but 39 needs to go. I would like to see Marody given a shot on that line. He has the smarts and hands to play with 29. 98 would be a good choice but his play is too erratic at this time. Play 98 on 3rd line with Strome.

Agreed. I remember being really mad when Tambellini traded Reider for Kale Kessy (LOL). I think Reider's good enough to jump up and down the lineup as an excellent utility player. Playing him with Drai feels natural because they're both German lol.

As for Chiasson, I don't expect him to keep up this high level of play, but he wasn't too bad today. He made a good play driving to the net to free up the shot for Leon. Once he cools off however (and hopefully people won't start hating on him for not keeping up top 6 production), I feel like 98 should get back on Leon's wing. With Jesse on his wing, their line didn't look bad at all.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Rieder and Draisaitl look very good together. I know this is the Draisaitl thread but Rieder has been such a good signing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really really liked Draisaitls game today.
He is rounding into form and its great to see. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad