Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With the team 1 game away from jetting off to Germany I wonder what Drai's mindset is right now? Is he pumped? Nervous? The pressure is squarely on his shoulders and as Lucic said, it'll be interesting to see Connor get a break for once with the main focus being on Drai while the team is in Germany. The coaching staff is still trying to find the right mix for Drai on the 2nd line all while trying to salvage Lucic's career, if this team is going anywhere we'll need Leon to be the driver on the 2nd line and Jesse as the driver on the 3rd. Can Leon pull Lucic and other non star players forward on the 2nd line?

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
The last time the Oilers were on free-tv in Germany (~8PM prime time), Drai had one of the worst games I have ever seen from him.

I really hope his form improves asap. The 2nd line as a whole needs to be a threat if the Oilers want to make the playoffs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The last time the Oilers were on free-tv in Germany (~8PM prime time), Drai had one of the worst games I have ever seen from him.

I really hope his form improves asap. The 2nd line as a whole needs to be a threat if the Oilers want to make the playoffs.

I will be in a bar watching the game in Cologne (still do not have a ticket--but still going) so I hope he has a good game--but it is an ex game so no biggy

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
With Rieder stepping his game up, I wonder if he gets another look with Drai. I know it’ll never happen cause of Lucic but a Rieder - Drai - Puju line could do some serious damage if they play like they’re capable of. Solid mix of speed, skill and responsible two way players on that line.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With Rieder stepping his game up, I wonder if he gets another look with Drai. I know it’ll never happen cause of Lucic but a Rieder - Drai - Puju line could do some serious damage if they play like they’re capable of. Solid mix of speed, skill and responsible two way players on that line.
well right now it's Yama with Drai so it is possible. Reider plays both wings.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Seen a quote from the 2 Germans about the preseason so far.

Drai said hes never been good in the preseason

Reider said he thinks that was the first goal he ever scored in preseason lol

Reactions: Aerrol

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Seen a quote from the 2 Germans about the preseason so far.

Drai said hes never been good in the preseason

Reider said he thinks that was the first goal he ever scored in preseason lol

IMO Drai had a lot better preseason last year, he went 3-2-5 in the 4 games he played in that I can find stats for...but then IIRC he was McD's RW for much of preseason in '17 so that probably explains it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With the team 1 game away from jetting off to Germany I wonder what Drai's mindset is right now? Is he pumped? Nervous? The pressure is squarely on his shoulders and as Lucic said, it'll be interesting to see Connor get a break for once with the main focus being on Drai while the team is in Germany. The coaching staff is still trying to find the right mix for Drai on the 2nd line all while trying to salvage Lucic's career, if this team is going anywhere we'll need Leon to be the driver on the 2nd line and Jesse as the driver on the 3rd. Can Leon pull Lucic and other non star players forward on the 2nd line?

Nervous. Uncomfortable. Embarrassed at the attention. We don't really have to surmise as Leon in the past has talked about this and its not really in his makeup to want to be in as much of a primary focus as this. There was an interesting story years ago that one reason Leon played hockey (other than his dad being a player and coach) and put less emphasis on Soccer is he appreciated hockey being more of a dark sport in Germany. Where he wasn't ever in the spotlight. Before Draisaitl hockey didn't get inordinate attention in Germany.

Its not in Drai's makeup to feel too excited about this, much more likely he is stressed and distracted.

Its different, and better, for Drai to play to a NA audience. when he's playing in Germany, or for Germany he feels too much that the attention is focused on him. He's never been entirely comfortable playing for Germany, although he's done well nationally, it makes him feel on edge. These are things he's shared in the past.

Reactions: Duke74

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not entirely relevant to the OP, but I wanted to make sure more people saw Dels excellent post detailing how Drai has always been poor in preseason and fine after:

I wouldn't worry too much about Draisaitl right now. Last preseason was the only time he's put up points.

2014: 2 assists in 5 preseason games

2015: 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 preason games --> 7 goals, 10 assists in first 10 regular season games

2016: 1 assist in 3 presason games --> 2 goals, 4 assists in first 4 regular season games

2017: 3 goals, 3 assists in 5 preseason games --> 5 goals, 7 assists in first 11 regular season games

2018: 1 assist in 3 preseason games

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nervous. Uncomfortable. Embarrassed at the attention. We don't really have to surmise as Leon in the past has talked about this and its not really in his makeup to want to be in as much of a primary focus as this. There was an interesting story years ago that one reason Leon played hockey (other than his dad being a player and coach) and put less emphasis on Soccer is he appreciated hockey being more of a dark sport in Germany. Where he wasn't ever in the spotlight. Before Draisaitl hockey didn't get inordinate attention in Germany.

Its not in Drai's makeup to feel too excited about this, much more likely he is stressed and distracted.

Its different, and better, for Drai to play to a NA audience. when he's playing in Germany, or for Germany he feels too much that the attention is focused on him. He's never been entirely comfortable playing for Germany, although he's done well nationally, it makes him feel on edge. These are things he's shared in the past.

I don't recall hearing about that but I was wondering if he might be full of nerves this pre-season. We need him to ramp his game up this year, hopefully he's back to form soon and that 2nd line can finally become a productive one.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not entirely relevant to the OP, but I wanted to make sure more people saw Dels excellent post detailing how Drai has always been poor in preseason and fine after:

Well, this is the first season he'll be starting out without lining up with an elite talent, so it'd be nice to see him step things up here to at least send the message that he's ready to carry his own line.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well, this is the first season he'll be starting out without lining up with an elite talent, so it'd be nice to see him step things up here to at least send the message that he's ready to carry his own line.

Sure, doing better is always preferred. I just don't see any reason to worry about Leon right now.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai has made the comments. Sometimes in English, sometimes in German. obviously he's been asked about his feelings on going to Germany with the team. its been a distraction for him. He looks stressed this preseason. Overwhelmed, not comfortable or at ease.

It could even be a little bit of German psyche. Most people find it relaxing to go back home to their native land. Germany isn't always that kind of place. it can be a stressful place in the cities that one would as easily avoid. Germany has a certain intensity to it that is easy to avoid. My parents for instance immigrated from Germany, they never went back, they didn't know why they would when they were asked. Drai likes Germany, but not enough to stay there either. If it wasn't for his dad and immediate family I wonder if he'd even be going back in the summers.

Of course you won't hear the latter thoughts from Drai, a German wouldn't be able to state anything like that and toxic reaction if they would, its just what I pick up. Germans quietly leave their native land (and still do in droves) they don't talk about the reasons too much.

Finally, Germany is in an odd place right now, for a lot of reasons we can't go into here. Lots of unrest and uncertainty. The most seen since unification. It doesn't help either that sports wise Germany is at its lowest ebb I've ever noted due to the WC.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

No, he will be really excited.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hopefully he can start to produce on his own line soon, the Oilers need him to produce away from McDavid this season to really have a strong offense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, he will be really excited.

Drai said that last January, a long time from the actual event. He's said other things as well, as I noted.

As the event approaches a level of anxiety would occur. This is different times for the Oilers, for the team. It would be one thing to go to Germany as Stanley Cup Champions. Its a complete other to go back at this worst possible moment when the team doesn't know what it is after last season. I doubt the org would have even scheduled all this had they known they would have missed the playoffs last season and be mired in this uncertainty.

The feel of this would be different if it was in the midst of team success. It isn't.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lucic-Draisaitl will be our boat anchor this season. Split them up.

With that said, Draisaitl is playing like crap. The only positive is his faceoff percentage is still borderline elite. The rest of his game is in pre-pre-season form.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

With that said, Draisaitl is playing like crap. The only positive is his faceoff percentage is still borderline elite. The rest of his game is in pre-pre-season form.
maybe move him up to McDavid line for the game in Germany.

Rieder-Mc-Drai
Yam-RNH-Pulju
Lucic-Strome-Rattie
Khaira-Brod-Kass

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hopefully he can start to produce on his own line soon, the Oilers need him to produce away from McDavid this season to really have a strong offense.

He can. Chemistry-wise, Leon is a finicky type. I'm not sure we have the right type of wingers for him - Yams? JP? Draisaitl prefers the strong cyclers like Maroon, McDavid, etc.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018

I agree with everything in this post.

Drai is talented but I think he needs another puck handler on his line to be most effective. Unfortunately we just don’t have that type of player to put on his line.

With Rieders improved play I think I’d like to see a line of:

Rieder-Drai-Pulj

I get the coaches don’t want to kill Lucic’s Confidence anymore but by putting him on the 3rd line but if Lucic and Drai can’t be effective I hope the coaches break it up pretty early in the season

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, doing better is always preferred. I just don't see any reason to worry about Leon right now.

I'm not worried about his pre-season form. I'm worried about his form away from guys like Hall and McDavid because his track record without that level of player isn't that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad