Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I really like Drai and Reider together but 39 needs to go. I would like to see Marody given a shot on that line. He has the smarts and hands to play with 29. 98 would be a good choice but his play is too erratic at this time. Play 98 on 3rd line with Strome.

39 has 3 goals in 3 games and has provided a solid 2 way game.
So if you move Marody to the 2nd line and Pulju to the 3rd line, what do you do with Chiasson, Cagguila (2 players who have earned their spot in the top 9) and Rattie when he returns?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So if you move Marody to the 2nd line and Pulju to the 3rd line, what do you do with Chiasson, Cagguila (2 players who have earned their spot in the top 9) and Rattie when he returns?

The poster is correct though. Chiasson is actually not doing much in sync with the line. Today was really pretty bad game for him. Chaisson is never productive for long. That's his downside. Very streaky.

Willing to see more but I want Pulju back in the lineup and back in that spot. WE can't lose sight of the importance of developing him and he will have success with the Drai-Rieder dyad. They can pull the train.

space321

May 11, 2011

Send Marody back to AHL. Rattie, Jesse, Yams for 1/2/3 RW. Rest of them can rotate.

Trust me, Chiasson will not keep up top 6 production. It's fine to reward him for getting hot, but let's not bet on him scoring 20 this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The big man is back up to speed. He's played 3 really good games in a row and is now looking like the line driver that we need him to be.

Reactions: Throttlehead

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Solid reply, my dude. Look at this Strome guy though, 0 in 9. Ripe for the trading.

Just as a side note. The guy he was traded for?

9134-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He is tenth on his team for scoring. He has less points than such offensive giants as Casey Cizikas and Scott Mayfield. Two of his four points are on the PP.

He has the third worst +/- on the team. No intangibles.

All this for the low low price of 6 million dollars.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Its very nice to see Draisaitl playing like he did against Nashville, he was moving his feet all game. I honestly dont think it matters a ton who his wingers are when he plays like he can. I hope he continues, we need him to do this badly in order to make the playoffs.

Great game by the whole team in that game :)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just as a side note. The guy he was traded for?

9134-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He is tenth on his team for scoring. He has less points than such offensive giants as Casey Cizikas and Scott Mayfield. Two of his four points are on the PP.

He has the third worst +/- on the team. No intangibles.

All this for the low low price of 6 million dollars.

And after 82 games he will still be around 25 goals and 60 points. Eberle has been one of the most consistent point producers since he entered the league and I think he is top 5 or at worst top 10 in RW points during that time. But yes, let’s bash Eberle because he played bad in the only year he made the playoffs....

dem

Mar 17, 2002
6 PPP this year compared to 11 all of last season..

Good sign for the team.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
And after 82 games he will still be around 25 goals and 60 points. Eberle has been one of the most consistent point producers since he entered the league and I think he is top 5 or at worst top 10 in RW points during that time. But yes, let’s bash Eberle because he played bad in the only year he made the playoffs....

I don't need to bash him.

His stats speak for themselves.

It was a good trade.

Reactions: ujju2 and HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its very nice to see Draisaitl playing like he did against Nashville, he was moving his feet all game. I honestly dont think it matters a ton who his wingers are when he plays like he can. I hope he continues, we need him to do this badly in order to make the playoffs.

Great game by the whole team in that game :)

One thing. Drai cannot score goals when he's not getting adequate feeds or transition or puck support to even be in the offensive zone.

When Drai has more suitable linemates, like Rieder, Lucic, Pulju, of course better results are possible. Yesterday for example he's getting some great feeds and scoring goals. The pass from Rieder was well executed and of course the goal doesn't come without the pass. The pass from Lucic was the kind of pass Drai needs to score.

I'm not sure how anybody can state that any goal scorer does not need adequate service. Drai was not getting that early in the season. Now he's getting it and performing better.

If your theory is correct, and it doesn't matter who Drai's wingers are than why is he more successful with wingers that can work with him? Of course it matters.

We have the best shot on the team here and he was getting setups maybe 2-3 times a night and only 11sog first 5 gp. He's getting many more now as his linemates, particularly Rieder are able to carry the puck and find Drai lurking into a spot. With Yama specifically, that kid hardly ever has the puck and didn't seem at all comfortable with it. He was rarely making any passing plays because he wasn't holding on to the puck long enough. Look how Rieder stops up and delays and creates the passing lane. Heads up play. That's what contributes to a goal.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
One thing. Drai cannot score goals when he's not getting adequate feeds or transition or puck support to even be in the offensive zone.

When Drai has more suitable linemates, like Rieder, Lucic, Pulju, of course better results are possible. Yesterday for example he's getting some great feeds and scoring goals. The pass from Rieder was well executed and of course the goal doesn't come without the pass. The pass from Lucic was the kind of pass Drai needs to score.

I'm not sure how anybody can state that any goal scorer does not need adequate service. Drai was not getting that early in the season. Now he's getting it and performing better.

If your theory is correct, and it doesn't matter who Drai's wingers are than why is he more successful with wingers that can work with him? Of course it matters.

We have the best shot on the team here and he was getting setups maybe 2-3 times a night and only 11sog first 5 gp. He's getting many more now as his linemates, particularly Rieder are able to carry the puck and find Drai lurking into a spot. With Yama specifically, that kid hardly ever has the puck and didn't seem at all comfortable with it. He was rarely making any passing plays because he wasn't holding on to the puck long enough. Look how Rieder stops up and delays and creates the passing lane. Heads up play. That's what contributes to a goal.

Because he played like dog crap until the Pittsburgh game.

Can't take you seriously until you recognize that fact.

Reactions: HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because he played like dog crap until the Pittsburgh game.

Can't take you seriously until you recognize that fact.

Fortunately I don't require you to take me anyway, or even to dinner;)

We'll disagree, which is fine. I'll want the asparagus side and you'll want the Korean Fried Cauliflower which I can't stand..;)

Happily the world accommodates differing tastes and opinions.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Fortunately I don't require you to take me anyway, or even to dinner;)

We'll disagree, which is fine. I'll want the asparagus side and you'll want the Korean Fried Cauliflower which I can't stand..;)

Happily the world accommodates differing tastes and opinions.

I prefer my cauliflower either with cheese or as a puree thank you very much.

Asparagus is good for you. Sauteed in Butter and garlic goes a long way to reaching the delicious train. At the very least you do have good taste in food. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
They mentioned Trotz put him with Barzal and I forget the other guy. But that was the line that did good last year so wouldn't be surprised if his scoring picks up

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I don't need to bash him.

His stats speak for themselves.

It was a good trade.

bingo. ebs produces in down times (has a knack for popping some easy points when the game isn't on the line or when it's out of hand) but he disappears when the going gets tough and you need him to produce. no jam.

he's one of those players that are "stats pretty" but is overall fugly when it comes to how much he contributes to winning.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

no doubt drai has some serious talent, but yes he had played like crap until a few games ago. i missed the preds game yesterday but looch was looking a whole lot more confident away from drai. i think drai needs to build chemistry with the right guys and hopefully that'll get his feet moving and energy up through a lot more games than not. i just get disappointed when things don't go drai's way he starts to pout and not move his feet, cheat, poor effort and stupid hope passes. i think he can be better but he needs to show it consistently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^ 3 of Lucic's points this season are tied to Drai. Just on PP, not on line, but they have worked well on line before, who can forget 16-17 and playoffs?

Lucic is one of those players, that when he's on, can be on a similar page to Drai, and I think Drai likes playing with him. This version of Lucic is helpful. Fortunately this is more the player Lucic usually is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some posters are in fact pointing the finger at other factors first and Leon second.
They have it backwards IMO.
Last nights game pretty much proved that Leon can elevate his game regardless of who his line mates are.
Its disappointing to say the least that it took him until the 7th game of the season to do this but better late than never.

This is exactly what I had been saying for the first 6-7 games of the season and oh boy the Drai-hards were having none of it. The difference in his effort and level of individual play is night and day.
Hopefully next year he doesn’t use the first 2-3 weeks of the season as preseason. No excuse for the way he played to start the season, glad he’s back to playing like the Drai I was saying he could be all along.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
^ 3 of Lucic's points this season are tied to Drai. Just on PP, not on line, but they have worked well on line before, who can forget 16-17 and playoffs?

Lucic is one of those players, that when he's on, can be on a similar page to Drai, and I think Drai likes playing with him. This version of Lucic is helpful. Fortunately this is more the player Lucic usually is.
It's a team game and points are always linked to teammates even if you are McDavid.
Drai's goals have also been tied to great passes from McD, Rattie and even Lucic.
Drai is putting the pucks in but still need to be much better handling the puck and skating.
Let's hope he gets his fist ES assist of the season in the 10th game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is exactly what I had been saying for the first 6-7 games of the season and oh boy the Drai-hards were having none of it. The difference in his effort and level of individual play is night and day.
Hopefully next year he doesn’t use the first 2-3 weeks of the season as preseason. No excuse for the way he played to start the season, glad he’s back to playing like the Drai I was saying he could be all along.
Some players are just slow starters. Iginla was one of those and he was a much better player than Drai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad