Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
i hope he's not overrated but he's shown me in his time in the nhl that he's a very up and down player with not much consistency and potential issues with his mental game and effort. he may never be a great player year in year out but more one of those guys thta CAN have great years but also some very unimpressive years.

? I think hes been very consistent, which is what I am complaining about.

I think he consistently cheats on D for O.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Go give me a list of players that can "score" with two mediocre other players (bonus marks for mediocre + slow) and I'll show you a list of players that are all going to be paid $10-11+ million on their next contract.

And GMs need to know how to build a roster.

I respectfully disagree with you.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bull**** excuse and stop pandering the same crap. You sound like a broken record stuck inside a horse ass.

Everyone gets that we lost the Hall trade, but it's done and unless you own a deLorean that uses a flux capacitor, there is nothing you can do about it.

Draisaitl makes 8.5 per year because he proved (albeit in a tiny sample) that he can totally dominate a game. If he was playing hard nosed 2 way hockey and his linemates were ****ting the bed, then there wouldn't be any argument, but he's not. He's proven how good he is and I'm sure he will again, but right now he's not playing at a 8.5 per year level.

And please for the love of Jebus give it up with how bad Chiarelli is, you sound like he stole your lunch money, bought your mom dinner with it, slept with her and then never called her again.
oq4U68w.gif

Reactions: NeverForget06

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Then get a GM that can build a proper team around said player. And don't tell me they had no options to do so.

They could have any one of Barzal, Hall, Connor, Boeser, DeBrincat, or Tkachuk next to Leon today. Every single one was available to the Oilers, they chose out of their own free will to go in a different direction multiple times.

lol, it's so funny you assume that those players would have developed into what they are now if they were here. wouldn't be surprised if at least 4 of those 6 players would be at the same stage as yama or pooly now if here. that being said i was heavily in favor of the oil drafting tkachuk over pooly that draft year. tho they disappointed me in taking pooly there's no guarantee the oil would have properly developed tkachuk as the flames seem to have thus far. also i guess i MIGHT be wrong in being in favor of drafting bennett over drai in their draft year. who knows... bennett may never have drai's upside but may he develop to be a more useful overall player in terms of winning hockey?...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
lol, it's so funny you assume that those players would have developed into what they are now if they were here. wouldn't be surprised if at least 4 of those 6 players would be at the same stage as yama or pooly now if here. that being said i was heavily in favor of the oil drafting tkachuk over pooly that draft year. tho they disappointed me in taking pooly there's no guarantee the oil would have properly developed tkachuk as the flames seem to have thus far. also i guess i MIGHT be wrong in being in favor of drafting bennett over drai in their draft year. who knows... bennett may never have drai's upside but may he develop to be a more useful overall player in terms of winning hockey?...

Isn't it a whopping coincidence that incompetent GMs that can't build competent rosters and lo and behold players develop poorly in bad teams?

And then magically they seem to find their game in many cases in other teams?

It's almost as if putting players in situations where they are set up to fail isn't a great idea.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bull**** excuse and stop pandering the same crap. You sound like a broken record stuck inside a horse ass.

Everyone gets that we lost the Hall trade, but it's done and unless you own a deLorean that uses a flux capacitor, there is nothing you can do about it.

Draisaitl makes 8.5 per year because he proved (albeit in a tiny sample) that he can totally dominate a game. If he was playing hard nosed 2 way hockey and his linemates were ****ting the bed, then there wouldn't be any argument, but he's not. He's proven how good he is and I'm sure he will again, but right now he's not playing at a 8.5 per year level.

And please for the love of Jebus give it up with how bad Chiarelli is, you sound like he stole your lunch money, bought your mom dinner with it, slept with her and then never called her again.

Hate to break it to you but just because a "trade is over" doesn't mean the impact of the trade is over.

Many trades, especially when you're trading your freaking 2nd best player, can have impact that is only felt 2-3-4 years fully afterwards. That's why you can't judge many trades right off the instant they happen, even the damn Gretzky trade, some people circa June 1990 were saying "hey maybe that wasn't such a bad trade", but even though the Oilers won a Cup again, the reality is doing that trade probably also cost them 2-3 more Cups and ultimately sent the franchise down into a toilet spiral.

A team that trades their line driving 2nd best player away is now complaining two years later that they don't have secondary scoring or a 2nd line driver. Ironic.

This is not a coincidence nor is it unconnected, this is the full impact of that trade now coming back home to roost for the Oilers.

Leon is not a freaking Shawn Horcoff either, he's not going to play a "2 way game", you don't ask a Ferrari to be a pick up truck. That's not his game and that's not how he's going to play. This franchise needs to get him something to work with on that 2nd line or they can reap the mediocre results from their mismanagement. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Hate to break it to you but just because a "trade is over" doesn't mean the impact of the trade is over.

Many trades, especially when you're trading your freaking 2nd best player, can have impact that is only felt 2-3-4 years fully afterwards. That's why you can't judge many trades right off the instant they happen, even the damn Gretzky trade, some people circa June 1990 were saying "hey maybe that wasn't such a bad trade", but even though the Oilers won a Cup again, the reality is doing that trade probably also cost them 2-3 more Cups and ultimately sent the franchise down into a toilet spiral.

A team that trades their line driving 2nd best player away is now complaining two years later that they don't have secondary scoring or a 2nd line driver. Ironic.

This is not a coincidence nor is it unconnected, this is the full impact of that trade now coming back home to roost for the Oilers.

Leon is not a freaking Shawn Horcoff either, he's not going to play a "2 way game", you don't ask a Ferrari to be a pick up truck. That's not his game and that's not how he's going to play. This franchise needs to get him something to work with on that 2nd line or they can reap the mediocre results from their mismanagement. Simple as that.

You just spout the same crap in every thread, it's like you're trying to give yourself a catchphrase. There are plenty of people that are negative around here, but at least they have decent hockey knowledge. No one cares what you think about a 3 year old trade.

And everyone on the ice is expected to play defense, learn how hockey works before you try sounding like you know anything about it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You just spout the same crap in every thread, it's like you're trying to give yourself a catchphrase. There are plenty of people that are negative around here, but at least they have decent hockey knowledge. No one cares what you think about a 3 year old trade.

And everyone on the ice is expected to play defense, learn how hockey works before you try sounding like you know anything about it.
This is a pretty damn good lesson for the front office. Maybe they should bring in some actual NHL defensemen so McDavid and co aren't drowned by AHL scrubs and hasbeens.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
This is a pretty damn good lesson for the front office. Maybe they should bring in some actual NHL defensemen so McDavid and co aren't drowned by AHL scrubs and hasbeens.

I agree, the D needs work, I don't understand why they haven't found a use for Sekera's LTIR savings.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How did the Chiarelli thread move from one thread to the other? The discussion over there has actually been tolerable. The majority of the past three pages here are probably going to be deleted.

Is it really that necessary to rehash the same shit over and over?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

No one cares that some Oiler fans don't want to hear the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Trades aren't like one bad shift or a f***ing bad game or even a bad season. It's not as simple as saying "OK we lost that one on to the next one" as if things some how reset to 0 the day after. Trades have impacts years afterwards, we are just now feeling the full impact of what happens when you trade away your 2nd best player and then compound that by coming out of the 2015 + 2016 drafts basically empty handed outside of McDavid.

There are repercussions whether you want to deal with them or not. Our repercussion is we now are stuck with a team that can't score without McDavid on the ice.

Asking Leon to push a 2nd line is fair. Asking Leon to push a 2nd line after you trade away all your proven wingers, including a legit line driver, without bringing back a single impact forward and betting the farm on two middling rookies who are in way over their head is NOT fair.

That's something an Evgeni Malkin can do, and there's no shame in not being that tier of player there are only 10-12 of those guys on planet Earth (and there is again obvious irony here for the Oilers).

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Draisaitl should be able to drive a line with the wingers he's been given. Maybe giving him a truly great winger like how Malkin got Kessel would put us over the top in terms of going deep into the playoffs, but Drai should absolutely to turn any line into a net positive and push us to a wild card spot as long as the D and goaltending hold up, and the top line is doing well.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
No one cares that some Oiler fans don't want to hear the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Trades aren't like one bad shift or a ****ing bad game or even bad seasons. It's not as simple as saying "OK we lost that one on to the next one" as if things some how reset to 0 the day after. Trades have impacts years afterwards, we are just now feeling the full impact of what happens when you trade away your 2nd best player and then compound that by coming out of the 2015 + 2016 drafts basically empty handed outside of McDavid.

There are repercussions whether you want to deal with them or not.

Asking Leon to push a 2nd line is fair. Asking Leon to push a 2nd line after you trade away all your proven wingers, including a legit line driver, without bringing back a single impact forward and betting the farm on two middling rookies who are in way over their head is NOT fair.

That's something an Evgeni Malkin can do, and there's no shame in not being that tier of player there are only 10-12 of those guys on planet Earth (and there is again obvious irony here for the Oilers).

Unless you are a member of Oilers management, what the hell is the point of still caring about a trade that can't be changed. It happened, move on. You sound like a guy who can't get over his ex after she left you for your dad. Move the hell on with your life, all you do is get in the way of people having actual conversations about hockey.

And if anyone is saying Drai needs to be Malkin, they're on crack. He just needs to play a solid game on both ends of the ice, like the Nashville game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl should be able to drive a line with the wingers he's been given. Maybe giving him a truly great winger like how Malkin got Kessel would put us over the top in terms of going deep into the playoffs, but Drai should absolutely to turn any line into a net positive and push us to a wild card spot as long as the D and goaltending hold up, and the top line is doing well.

No he shouldn't.

Lucic is washed up and can't process the game on the level Draisaitl can. He destroys plays by bobbling pucks or blindly throwing them away into the middle. We needed at least 4 good seasons from this scrub, and we probably won't even get 2.

Puljujarvi is a gangly, awkward, (as of right now) low hockey I.Q. player that has no clue where he's going on the ice and poor finishing ability. Any one of a multitude of forwards that the Oilers could've taken in the 2015 or 2016 drafts (Barzal, Connor, Tkachuk) look miles better than him. He honestly should be in the AHL.

Yamamoto is a 5 foot freaking 7 and 22nd overall pick playing his 15th NHL game.

Reider is a career 3rd/4th liner.

It's not reasonable to trade away all of Hall, Eberle, Maroon and then say "hey Leon this should be good enough for you". That is bull shit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless you are a member of Oilers management, what the hell is the point of still caring about a trade that can't be changed. It happened, move on. You sound like a guy who can't get over his ex after she left you for your dad. Move the hell on with your life, all you do is get in the way of people having actual conversations about hockey.

And if anyone is saying Drai needs to be Malkin, they're on crack. He just needs to play a solid game on both ends of the ice, like the Nashville game.

It's not about caring about it. It's about accepting REALITY. We screwed up on that trade and a few other key situations.

We *NOW* have to deal with that. This is part of dealing with that, understanding that our secondary offence is going to suck for a bit. We are going to have to be a one line team for a while most likely.

That shouldn't be something Leon Draisaitl is scape-goated for incessantly. That's not his fault. Put the blame where it belongs. He should not be blamed for a crap situation that he didn't create.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No he shouldn't.

Lucic is washed up and can't process the game on the level Draisaitl can. He destroys plays by bobbling pucks or blindly throwing them away into the middle.

Puljujarvi is a gangly, awkward, (as of right now) low hockey I.Q. player that has no clue where he's going on the ice and poor finishing ability.

Yamamoto is a 5 foot freaking 7 and 22nd overall pick playing his 15th NHL game.

Reider is a career 3rd/4th liner.

It's not reasonable to trade away all of Hall, Eberle, Maroon and then say "hey Leon this should be good enough for you". That is bull ****.
Your opinions on our wingers are wayyyy extreme. There's been plenty of great things about those players so far, and more often than not it's been Draisaitl that's been the problem. It's also not like I gave some ridiculous high standard. I have a high opinion of Draisaitl, but I only said his line should be a net positive, and that's as long as everyone else on the team is doing at least passable.

And btw, I doubt this is going to be an issue. I will be redeemed in this when Drai does get up to full speed and he shows his line can excel with the wingers we have for him. edit: It's not like there's a Kessel trade in our future, so he'll have to make due, and he will.

Reactions: Missing smitty

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your opinions on our wingers are wayyyy extreme. There's been plenty of great things about those players so far, and more often than not it's been Draisaitl that's been the problem. It's also not like I gave some ridiculous high standard. I have a high opinion of Draisaitl, but I only said his line should be a net positive, and that's as long as everyone else on the team is doing at least passable.

And btw, I doubt this is going to be an issue. I will be redeemed in this when Drai does get up to full speed and he shows his line can excel with the wingers we have for him.

No they're not extreme at all.

This forward group has 1 f***ing goal in 6 full games (+2 OTs) without McDavid on the ice. That is freaking so pathetic. That is extreme.

This is *worse* than even I would have predicted. It is a f***ing issue. It will be an issue. Put the blame where it deserves to be. All these people saying "line driver" this and that, gimme a break. Leon isn't the one putting the roster together, I'm pretty sure if you ask him he'd like to be playing with Hall or Barzal or Kyle Connor or even DeBrincat and giving the Oilers 65-70 points.

That hockey gods gifted the Oilers multiple oppurtunities to at minimum have two great lines, and they whiffed on every single one of those chances, it should not be Leon who now gets the bulk of the blame when that is the root of the issue.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No they're not extremely at all.

This forward group has 1 ****ing goal in 6 full games (+2 OTs) without McDavid on the ice. That is freaking so pathetic.

This is *worse* than even I would have predicted. It is a ****ing issue. It will be an issue. Put the blame where it deserves to be.
Yes there are problems early on, but at the same time we are 3-3-0. That McDavid streak of points did point out that the team needs him too much, but the team has lots to work out and has some new coaches. Give it a little time.

Like I added to the other post, there won't be a major trade any time soon. The team has to play this out as it is. If it's all about firing the people who put this team together... I mean sure that's possible but a new GM won't make that big trade yet either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes there are problems early on, but at the same time we are 3-3-0. That McDavid streak of points did point out that the team needs him too much, but the team has lots to work out and has some new coaches. Give it a little time.

Like I added to the other post, there won't be a major trade any time soon. The team has to play this out as it is. If it's all about firing the people who put this team together... I mean sure that's possible but a new GM won't make that big trade yet either.

They are 3-3-0 because McDavid is playing like 1985 Wayne Gretzky. If he lowered his play even a notch down to a "just a 100 point McDavid", you're likely looking at a 2-4 record or worse.

Lets be real.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
They are 3-3-0 because McDavid is playing like 1985 Wayne Gretzky. If he lowered his play even a notch down to a "just a 100 point McDavid", you're likely looking at a 2-4 record or worse.

Lets be real.

Let's be real. You just copy/paste the same crap into every thread, you haven't had an original idea since Hall was traded.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Lets be real.
perhaps but it's not so simple. I don't think one player can carry a team. Not even McDavid. In McDavid's rookie year, he was as good or close to it. He had the incredible stats and yet the team lost games like it was 2011. It's a team sport. McDavid can elevate the team but he can't keep it from being 31st. We have 3 wins because McDavid has been great, but also because of Talbot, RNH, and because of some good performances from the defense. I'm probably missing a few other factors.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
perhaps but it's not so simple. I don't think one player can carry a team. Not even McDavid. In McDavid's rookie year, he was as good or close to it. He had the incredible stats and yet the team lost games like it was 2011. It's a team sport. McDavid can elevate the team but he can't keep it from being 31st. We have 3 wins because McDavid has been great, but also because of Talbot, RNH, and because of some good performances from the defense. I'm probably missing a few other factors.

Rookie McDavid = 87 point pace

Current McDavid (this season) = 150 point pace

So no, that's not the same thing. McDavid has elevated his play big time even from one year ago.

McDavid is a much better player today than he was as a rookie, which is normal for players of his caliber (also probably why overreacting to that first season given all the injuries and given that it was just McDavid's first year was probably stupid. The Penguins were also terrible in Crosby's 1st season even though he scored 100+ points).

Reactions: oilWILDcountry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad