Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Rookie McDavid = 87 point pace

Current McDavid (this season) = 150 point pace

So no, that's not the same thing. McDavid has elevated his play big time even from one year ago.

McDavid is a much better player today than he was as a rookie, which is normal for players of his caliber (also probably why overreacting to that first season given all the injuries and given that it was just McDavid's first year was probably stupid. The Penguins were also terrible in Crosby's 1st season even though he scored 100+ points).
McDavid in his rookie year could play at that top pace for 6 game stretches too, and longer. You can't take McDavid there as a representative sample. You could also say the difference between his overall production between then and now is that the team around him is more supportive, which is absolutely the case. That's not just considering the players who were added btw, but also the huge amount of injuries that the team had in McDavid's rookie year.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
No one cares that some Oiler fans don't want to hear the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Trades aren't like one bad shift or a ****ing bad game or even a bad season. It's not as simple as saying "OK we lost that one on to the next one" as if things some how reset to 0 the day after. Trades have impacts years afterwards, we are just now feeling the full impact of what happens when you trade away your 2nd best player and then compound that by coming out of the 2015 + 2016 drafts basically empty handed outside of McDavid.

There are repercussions whether you want to deal with them or not. Our repercussion is we now are stuck with a team that can't score without McDavid on the ice.

Asking Leon to push a 2nd line is fair. Asking Leon to push a 2nd line after you trade away all your proven wingers, including a legit line driver, without bringing back a single impact forward and betting the farm on two middling rookies who are in way over their head is NOT fair.

That's something an Evgeni Malkin can do, and there's no shame in not being that tier of player there are only 10-12 of those guys on planet Earth (and there is again obvious irony here for the Oilers).

the problem is you ASSUME things would be better if we hadn't traded our "line driving" winger. it goes deeper than that. there a lot of dynamics and evidence that point towards the fact that the team was and would be worse off with him here. things arent always linear... you can't assume that A) that player would be what he became last year if he stayed here and B) what his overall affect on this team would be if he stayed. you assume too many things. as much as i really want the oil to bring in some quality wingers i would STILL be hesitant to bring that player back.... sometimes a leopard only changes his spots for a short period of time....

why should leon need a line driving winger when he signed for the money he did?? you should be something of a consistent line driver if you're making 7 plus mil. you don't have to be a dominant driver but drive and create offence smartly and consistently and be a responsible player that gives quality effort night in night out. maybe he should have signed for 4.5 to 5 mil if he's playing the way he is. a complimentary winger for connor. and or save 4 mil to sign a co-driver on the second line he can mesh with. i think leon has the ability to potentially drive a line but he's acting like he's pouting doesn't even want to try.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
@Soundwave there is a thread for the GM discussion, feel free to tear a new strip into him there, talk about how the Hall trade excuses Draisaitl from criticism, etc. there. Those that choose to participate in such discussions are very welcome to join in there. The rest of the thread on HF? Nope.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
McDavid has RNH. Way to miss mentioning that.
Hes had a variety of linemates and made all of them better. Even nail Yakupov.

Draisaitl supporters need to stop using the excuse he needs some sort of elite talent to be effective. If he needs that then he isn't an 8.5 million player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lmao. Not one post in the thread saying how Draisaitl is junk, garbage, worst player on his line, worst forward on the team. What f***ing ridiculous nonsense I've had to wade through for the last month.

Doubt I see much crow eating here either.

4 goals/7GP, 47G pace, but he sucks.. suck it

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
lmao. Not one post in the thread saying how Draisaitl is junk, garbage, worst player on his line, worst forward on the team. What ****ing ridiculous nonsense I've had to wade through for the last month.

Doubt I see much crow eating here either.

4 goals/7GP, 47G pace, but he sucks.. suck it
He had a much better game tonight. Was flying, his possession numbers took a metric leap tonight too. Imo he looked much better with Chiasson on his wing than he did with Pulju. Could be cause Chiasson was playing well but I liked the look either way.

Even take away his points tonight and when Drai plays like that, I have zero issues.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He had a much better game tonight. Was flying, his possession numbers took a metric leap tonight too. Imo he looked much better with Chiasson on his wing than he did with Pulju. Could be cause Chiasson was playing well but I liked the look either way.

Even take away his points tonight and when Drai plays like that, I have zero issues.

Wait, but he gave pucks away, looked lazy on a few shifts, was riding off McDavid coat tails, and he should do something himself.

Amiright..

pfffft

A lot of you, you included, have been riding this player since the first exhibition game. Which seemed awfully preloaded commentary to me. There was a chorus of "Draisaitl should get his head out of his ass" comments before the team even got to Cologne. The posting on this player has been a complete joke. I'll bring that to attention.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
First point of the season for Drai tonight.

Too bad that 2nd one didn't count. McDavid factor and all.

Yeah but he was only playing Kessel and Malkin most of the night. I mean f***, he needs to own those guys, doesn't matter if he's playing with 4th liners, he needs to be driving things, he needs to me way more than PPG, I mean f***, what is this..

oh and the other goal doesn't count either because Drai was on for a GA tonight. That can't happen. Even playing against allstars.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wait, but he gave pucks away, looked lazy on a few shifts, was riding off McDavid coat tails, and he should do something himself.

Amiright..

pfffft

A lot of you, you included, have been riding this player since the first exhibition game. Which seemed awfully preloaded commentary to me. There was a chorus of "Draisaitl should get his head out of his ass" comments before the team even got to Cologne. The posting on this player has been a complete joke. I'll bring that to attention.
Draisaitl is literally my favorite player on this team. So his play was dissapointing to me, and being someone who knows his game extremely well it was hard to watch. I know he could be better and he would of known better than anyone that he needed to play better.

This game was much better.

Other games he looked rough outside of his McDsvid time. Tonight he looked good for that majority of the game so I really didn't care where his goals came from.

What's frustrating to me is you refused to acknowledge his bad play and made it seem like he could literally do not wrong.

Reactions: Jamin and belair

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl is literally my favorite player on this team. So his play was dissapointing to me, and being someone who knows his game extremely well it was hard to watch. I know he could be better and he would of known better than anyone that he needed to play better.

Other games he looked rough outside of his McDsvid time. Tonight he looked good for that majority of the game so I really didn't care where his goals came from.

What's frustrating to me is you refused to acknowledge his bad play and made it seem like he could literally do not wrong.

Lets see, whats frustrating to me is coming to a fan board and seeing thousands of posts flaming the 2nd best player on the team. THATS frustrating.

Gosh, imagine I defend a very good player from the bs that has been stated here EVERY f***ing day.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Thank God this game will hopefully shut up the haters that would trade him for a bag of pucks.

What the f*** is up with the narrative that he's feeding off of McDavid anyhow? Who's to say that anyone else finishes those plays or gets the right pass through to McDavid? Doubt many on this team (if any) can.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lets see, whats frustrating to me is coming to a fan board and seeing thousands of posts flaming the 2nd best player on the team. THATS frustrating.

Gosh, imagine I defend a very good player from the bs that has been stated here EVERY ****ing day.
If McDavid had been playing as bad as Draisaitl has he would be getting people frustrated at him too. Draisaitl is the second best player on this team. No debate there. He sure as hell wasn't playing like it.

No one was calling Draisaitl a bad player, just that he needed to start playing like a good one.

Reactions: Jamin

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Agreed, he had a better game tonight.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
First point of the season for Drai tonight.

Too bad that 2nd one didn't count. McDavid factor and all.

That second goal is a perfect example of the type of goals Draisaitl scores on the regular but doesn't get any credit for because of McDavid having a point on it. If anything, McDavid was leeching of Drai there and not vice versa, but haters will only see Drai getting "gravy points" and quickly dismiss his contribution to those type of goals.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
drai has largely been cr@9 without mcdavid for the last 2 years save for a good playoff run. it's not just 6 games. 8.5 mil means you need to at least play better even if the points don't come. drai has look very below avg on his own line.

not sure how you get so attached to some players. like gagner, whom you loved, was garbage and i though it was obvious he was not a good player even in his highest point producing season here.... i'm just not sure what you see in some of these players. this is the problem with just looking at stats. eyeball test will always win out.

ps. obviously drai is far better than gags but he needs to get his head out his a$$.

Please produce your scouting report then Mr. Eyeball test.

Youth:
Guy went 2OA in the 2012 CHL import draft.
Guy went 3OA 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Pedigree: His father was a pro in Europe and currently an active coach in Europe.

Size: 6'2" 220+ lbs

Has done nothing but produce in the NHL, World Cup, and World Champs.
He is currently 22. (can't stress that enough to you guys)
Great passing ability forehand and backhand.
A rare breed as a big, play-making center. He can handle the puck, is strong enough to carry it through traffic and makes smart decisions with it.
Consistently demonstrates a goal-scorers shot at all levels.

As much as I cheer for the Oilers I'd love to see Drai hoist the cup if/when you run him out. In 3-5 years he'll be THE big center every team covets. Meanwhile 1PPG for the 22 year old isn't good enough for Oiler fans.

Cheapo Edmontonians can't get the $8.5 M from Chia past your eyes is all. Just lol at y'all running this guy down and likely out of town like you did Arnott and Ebs. Enjoy Strome btw, looked great in OT last night.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Gosh, imagine I defend a very good player from the bs that has been stated here EVERY ****ing day.

Amen.

It's not that people were criticizing Draisaitl (and he has definitely earned some criticism), it was outright trashing the guy from some posters, especially in GDTs.

It's nice to see games like this from him to give Oiler fans a reminder about how lucky we are to have him. His inconsistency can be a bit maddening at times (people forget how young he still is) but this is a guy that can dominate games like few others.

On another note, Reider looked great last night, didn't he? Amazing skater and good in all zones.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Amiright..

pfffft

So even when people give Drai a good grade after a game you still complain? Shouldn't you be happy? I like Drai so am happy to see him do good and hopefully get the fans off his back. I was expecting you to be jacked after his game last night.

"Drai could get zero points and play like that and I'd be happy"

Not Sure how that statement ruffled you so much since it seems like a compliment to me

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
If McDavid had been playing as bad as Draisaitl has he would be getting people frustrated at him too. Draisaitl is the second best player on this team. No debate there. He sure as hell wasn't playing like it.

No one was calling Draisaitl a bad player, just that he needed to start playing like a good one.
When McDavid had the flu, before they told media he lost ten pounds people were getting on McDavid and some calling him overpaid.

You can be the 2nd best player on the team and still have a bad game

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So even when people give Drai a good grade after a game you still whine?

"Drai could get zero points and play like that and I'd be happy"

Not Sure how that statement ruffled you so much since it seems like a compliment to me
Because you wouldn't know the context of hundreds of caustic posts by the poster deriding Drai, and anybody happening to defend him. I was trading in kind, which I shouldn't. But its the sheer gravity here of inanity that gets daily expressed about Drai, and @McCupofOil has frequently attested to this, that results in the frustration you witnessed from me last night.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Because you wouldn't know the context of hundreds of caustic posts by the poster deriding Drai, and anybody happening to defend him. I was trading in kind, which I shouldn't. But its the sheer gravity here of inanity that gets daily expressed about Drai, and @McCupofOil has frequently attested to this, that results in the frustration you witnessed from me last night.
I edited my post too, re reading it the tone came off worse then I wanted. I do a lot of lurking so saw a lot of the BS but only do post game threads not the game day so I'm sure am missing lots.

I was just hoping this thread would have some positivity. The team lost but I thought Drai looked good, held his own vs Malkin and Kessel and created/cashed in some chances

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Amen.

It's not that people were criticizing Draisaitl (and he has definitely earned some criticism), it was outright trashing the guy from some posters, especially in GDTs.

It's nice to see games like this from him to give Oiler fans a reminder about how lucky we are to have him. His inconsistency can be a bit maddening at times (people forget how young he still is) but this is a guy that can dominate games like few others.

On another note, Reider looked great last night, didn't he? Amazing skater and good in all zones.

Posts like this continue to be appreciated.

heh, nice to see you get on the Rieder train. Impressive speed eh? more impressive because like others, McD, he's not shy about strapping that jet pack on.
But tactically as well theres so much that Rieder does that is well coached. In traffic areas he's low to the ice, maximizing leverage, this makes him more effective in puck battle and in dangerous areas.

He could be the best pk player we got. Also because of the burn speed which can make PP D have to leave zone at times.

Hey, on the message of inconsistency look at Malkins game last night. he was barely noticeable which is a good thing and I'm not convinced much of it had to do with Drai. I think it was just a disengaged night. Kessel was competing but not Malkin. I mention this because it is typical that even star players have dog nights. This seems not well recognized in Edmonton. But I doubt I would see 50 people trashing Malkin in the Pens board because of it. Also interesting is that this was Crosby's 1,2, goals of the season. You have to know he wasn't bringing this kind of bearing down in some of the earlier matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad