Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Asking a talented player to lift a team that's woefully, poorly constructed is not a fair ask.

You guys did the same thing to Taylor Hall, Justin Schultz, Devan Dubnyk. Blame them because they couldn't lift a team that was horrendously built around them.

And how did that work out? Who got the last laugh? New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota did.

Maybe for ONCE the blame can be put on the management for putting these players in situations where they're destined to fail? Can we try that ONCE?

Leon Draisaitl is not being asked to "push a 2nd line" so much as he is being asked "to make up for Chiarelli's dumb decisions that have gutted the forward depth, now YOU fix it Leon by carrying a bunch of scrubs and underwhelming or rushed draft choices that we've developed poorly for good measure".

Thats the job you accept when you sisgn for the money he did.

Reactions: HK97

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can't argue with that, the problem is that we need him playing like an $8 million player now based on our teams make up.

Then get a GM that can build a proper team around said player. And don't tell me they had no options to do so.

They could have any one of Barzal, Hall, Connor, Boeser, DeBrincat, or Tkachuk next to Leon today. Every single one was available to the Oilers, they chose out of their own free will to go in a different direction multiple times.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Milan Lucic: 2 points in 6 games
Kailer Yamamoto: 1 point in 6 games
Jesse Puljujärvi: 1 point in 6 games

Leon Draisaitl: 2 more points than the other three combined. Is apparently the worst of the bunch.

and how many of drai's 6 points are gravy points from playing with connor? he's obviously not worse than any of those players but damn he has not looked good away from connor at all. it's one thing to not be able to produce because your linemates are iffy but just the way drai's played is very discouraging. the lack of effort, the lack of smart plays, the non chalantness defensively and idiotic givaways. he even makes poor puck decisions when playing with connor on the PP. horrendous giveaways trying to thread the needle or make stupid blind behind the back no look hope passes. basically he needs to get his head out of his a$$.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If his line mates are so bad why are they all playing better than him?

In what way, elaborate how they have been better. I'm not seeing that on the ice. Pulju was better in reg season but we're still waiting. Lucic has pretty much guilted himself into adequate play this season after being horrible last year.

I could accept criticism of Drai but I don't know that 3-4 players have been better. I would say McD, Nuge, Talbot, maybe Nurse have been better. Nobody he's had on his line has been better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thats the job you accept when you sisgn for the money he did.

No it's not. No amount of salary absolves the manager from his responsibility of building a reasonably talented team around the player.

Like I said above, they had every opportunity to have any one of the following 2nd lines

Hall Draisaitl - Chose Lucic/Larsson instead
Draisaitl Barzal - Chose Reinhart instead
Tkachuk Draisaitl - Chose Puljujarvi instead
DeBrincat Draisaitl - Chose Benson instead
Draisaitl Boeser - Chose Reinhart instead
Draisaitl Kyle Connor - Chose Reinhart instead

Every single one of those scenarios gives them a great 2nd line with good scoring from Leon.

They chose every single time to go in a different direction. That's not Leon's fault. Don't tell me they didn't have options here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Milan Lucic: 2 points in 6 games
Kailer Yamamoto: 1 point in 6 games
Jesse Puljujärvi: 1 point in 6 games

Leon Draisaitl: 2 more points than the other three combined. Is apparently the worst of the bunch.

Yeah, I don't even...

See, I know whats coming. Somebody saw some shot effects or metrics and are using that as carte blanche. Without considering that every other player on that line has also had their share of easy minutes, Drai has had none, on an again listing ship. Of course your advanced stats metrics will have the illusion of looking better if half or more of your mix has been playing against considerably easier QOC.

But I bet people run with one metric or two, and throw that out like gospel after 6 GP. None of which is valid. The sample isn't even valid. Advanced stats mean nothing at this point.

The other factor people bring up is the -7. Without apparently realizing 4 of that is empty net goals. But the same thing gets recirculated, dispelled, circulated, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Aerrol

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Of course, the player is always the problem to you.

Scapegoat the talented player with no context, no fair questioning of whether or not the management has given them a fair deal to work with.

This franchise did this to Hall (Hart Trophy Winner), Schultz (2 Time Stanley Cup Winner), Dubnyk (Vezina Trophy candidate) ... put them in positions to fail with woeful roster building, scape goat the player, trade them off for peanuts, and then 2 years later come back crying that you now don't understand why the team doesn't have talent and how they could really use attributes like say a fast, offensive winger or a right shot offensive d-man or a good goalie. Well gee. Hmmmmmm.

And now the same exact thing is being done to Leon. Same ****, different day.

schultz is still garbage. i wouldn't take him back. a rehabbed hall... maybe but sometimes the rehab doesn't stick.

if drai maybe hadn't asked for so much (8.5 mil) maybe chia would have had money to spend on a complimentary player like elias lindholm etc. but when you take that kind of cash knowing how much is left in the coffers then you're basically saying "don't worry, i got this, i can drive a line with anyone". and drai has thus far failed miserably. unfortunately the same kind of goes for connor. he could have taken a discount for ~10 mil a year. and i get it it's completely ok for someone like connor to demand much more but he has to live with the consequences of maybe not being able to afford better offensive depth in doing so. cannot pin it all on chia (i'm not an apologist and i woulnd't mind seeing him go but...).... players have to think more big picture and more for the team. a couple mil doesn't make a difference for someone like connor with all his endorsements.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
schultz is still garbage. i wouldn't take him back. a rehabbed hall... maybe but sometimes the rehab doesn't stick.

if drai maybe hadn't asked for so much (8.5 mil) maybe chia would have had money to spend on a complimentary player like elias lindholm etc. but when you take that kind of cash knowing how much is left in the coffers then you're basically saying "don't worry, i got this, i can drive a line with anyone". and drai has thus far failed miserably. unfortunately the same kind of goes for connor. he could have taken a discount for ~10 mil a year. and i get it it's completely ok for someone like connor to demand much more but he has to live with the consequences of maybe not being able to afford better offensive depth in doing so. cannot pin it all on chia (i'm not an apologist and i woulnd't mind seeing him go but...).... players have to think more big picture and more for the team. a couple mil doesn't make a difference for someone like connor with all his endorsements.

Yeah keep dreaming about all the magic your dummy GM could do with a whopping $1 million in extra cap room.

You think Leon was gonna take $6 per? Get real, even as a winger, the price is $7 minimum, Lucic and Eberle are $6 per and they both got gifted plenty of time with McDavid and none were close to 77 points.

Factoring in cap inflation, factoring in your dummy GM always gifting an extra $500k or so because he can't negotiate, and the insistence on a 8 year deal from the GM, the price was always going to be 7.5 or higher.

So you'd have at best an extra million in cap room. Whoopity freaking doo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't argue with that, the problem is that we need him playing like an $8 million player now based on our teams make up.

Well we want him too, I guess we need him to, but this is a position of apple cart hauling need that shouldn't be there. In 1993 we needed Jason Arnott to haul a team around on his back . It doesn't ever work out well. For him, McD, Drai, none of these guys.

For me is I know who is at fault for where the team is at. I just won't be blaming the star players on this team when the forward core is so small and that we have passengers and non starters.

Brodz has been disappointing, Rieder not as good as he can be either. I'll give the additions some time but this lineup is in trouble. We're lackng a bonafide target scorer to grab some offense. But we can't afford it. Kovalchuk would have been a useful add. He's about the only thing going in LA right now. Maybe they'll realize they are in full rebuild and start casting some players off. That's long range hope.

This lineup needed a Hoffman, a Kovalchuk, a bonafide goal scorer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
like the context that connor basically gifted drai 5 or 6 gravy points out of the 6 points he has thus far?

Because of every one of Drais pts all year will come from McD. yup...

Its 6 games folks. Its ironic, perhaps, that I'm the one saying that as I have my own penchant for panic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where's Lucic's "5 or 6" gravy points from McDavid by the way? Doesn't he also get all the PP time with McDavid?

How come RNH only has 1 extra point over Leon despite getting to play basically 3x the time with McDavid?

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well we want him too, I guess we need him to, but this is a position of apple cart hauling need that shouldn't be there. In 1993 we needed Jason Arnott to haul a team around on his back . It doesn't ever work out well. For him, McD, Drai, none of these guys.

For me is I know who is at fault for where the team is at. I just won't be blaming the star players on this team when the forward core is so small and that we have passengers and non starters.

Brodz has been disappointing, Rieder not as good as he can be either. I'll give the additions some time but this lineup is in trouble. We're lackng a bonafide target scorer to grab some offense. But we can't afford it. Kovalchuk would have been a useful add. He's about the only thing going in LA right now. Maybe they'll realize they are in full rebuild and start casting some players off. That's long range hope.

This lineup needed a Hoffman, a Kovalchuk, a bonafide goal scorer.

They should've just traded for Hoffman and passed on vanilla turds like Strome and spending $2.5 mill on a freaking no experience KHL goalie that Todd will only play 6 times.

Who cares if his wife has issues.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They should've just traded for Hoffman and passed on vanilla turds like Strome and spending $2.5 mill on a freaking no experience KHL goalie that Todd will only play 6 times.

Who cares if his wife has issues.
It wasn't Hoffmans wife anyway. This has been corroborated by multiple sources. it wasn't her accounts that were making the online comments. The Karlssons were wrong. False accusations. So not only was Hoffman available the alleged baggage turned out to be bogus. Both of them will love being in a new place though. I wonder how long before something negative happens in SJ. I'd give it a year or two. Karlsson isn't the rock solid team guy people think.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Where's Lucic's "5 or 6" gravy points from McDavid by the way? Doesn't he also get all the PP time with McDavid?

How come RNH only has 1 extra point over Leon despite getting to play basically 3x the time with McDavid?

sure, drai is a great complimentary player to connor, that's awesome. but you don't get paid 8.5 mil to be that. 8.5 mil means you can drive your own line or at least LOOk like you're capable of it. drai does not, at this point look like he can. if he was playing well and driving things and consistently creating, making smart plays, play hard defensively etc etc i could easily overlook the lack of production away from connor and blame the wingers.... but drai's play is very underwhelming especially for 8.5 mil.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Love that in this day and age, Kurri would be called a great complementary player and that his wage would be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad