Leo Komarov hit on Gostisbehere

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Its a pretty bad hit, if Ghost wasn't able to get back up, Komarov gets suspended.

But jeeeesuuus, does the NHL need someone to hold refs accountable for shit calls.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Definately should have been a 5 and a game. As for the suspension, it could have gone both ways, this time it wen't this way.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Even as a fan of Komarov, and from Finland, I think he should've been suspended for that. Dangerous and unnecessary check from behind right into the boards.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why cant the league be consistent?

Good question. The league is wildly inconsistent with how it handles hits from behind.

When they're suspending guys they often point out "he could see numbers the whole way" but the reality is the league allows players to hit each other from behind regularly in games. There's just an unspoken accepted way of doing it. You either ride the guy into the glass, or you can give him a shove but not "too hard."

Then when it goes bad like this one, it suddenly becomes suspension worthy (I do think the hit warranted a penalty and a fine).

I can completely understand why people think it should be a suspension or certainly at least a penalty, but I can also understand why Komarov saw it as nothing but routine.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
What is the league thinking with their decision here? Even as a leaf fan, thats absolutely suspendable..

Reactions: mmvvpp

pomx

May 15, 2014
They gave Gudbranson a major and a game suspension and this dirty hit gets nothing. DPoS is run by monkeys. Good to know Toronto still getting special treatment.

Reactions: Curufinwe

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
needed to be a major. Would have been fine with that but the fact it wasn't it should be a suspension

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I can kinda see it both ways. Leo hit him right in the numbers with a BIG head start so he should have received a boarding major. On the other hand, no contact with head (?) so league let it go. It's not really a question of a Leafs getting off, Kadri has been suspended many times for them.

Would have given Leo two games myself. Maybe one, not sure about his suspension record.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I can kinda see it both ways. Leo hit him right in the numbers with a BIG head start so he should have received a boarding major. On the other hand, no contact with head (?) so league let it go. It's not really a question of a Leafs getting off, Kadri has been suspended many times for them.

Would have given Leo two games myself. Maybe one, not sure about his suspension record.
my feeling behind this is the league doesn't wanna go against the officials. It sets a bad precedent as now they have to agree with the calls and it avoids getting the proper solution. With other suspensions for boarding penalties there should be consistency. The fact that neither a fine or a suspension was given is poor decision. Frankly a fine would be a cop out but then it shoulds the league condemns dangerous hits rather than do nothing and hide behind a lack of criticism for refs. I wish they had as much accountability as the players as it will make the league better.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The ref cam you can clearly see how quick it goes and how Ghost really turned his back on Komarov who had already committed to the hit. A couple of feet from the boards that's pretty dumb. Still a bad hit and should have been a penalty on the ice. Not suspension worthy though.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Tap another player's stick with yours, and you're in the box. Same if you don't execute a faceoff the exact right way.

But plow another player from behind, face first into the glass? Nah, we're cool with that. Carry on.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He should have been suspended. This is just the league protecting the officials. Suspending him would mean that the officials were wrong and the league doesn't like doing that. I hate that. Officials should be held accountable for errors and praised for good calls.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. Definitely should have gotten a boarding call, but the league shouldn't go out of their way to make up for the missed call by suspending a player on a nothing play that went wrong because a player badly executed a cutback and failed to protect themselves against routine contact.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Dangerous and needless hit. I was surprised there was no call and I wouldn't complain if he got suspended a game. Not sure what he was thinking. Also very frustrating watching all of these faceoff infractions and stick tap penalties yet they can't even see an obvious call right in front of them. NHL officiating is more perplexing than ever right now.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Tap another player's stick with yours, and you're in the box. Same if you don't execute a faceoff the exact right way.

But plow another player from behind, face first into the glass? Nah, we're cool with that. Carry on.

This needs to be quoted and spread across the land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad