Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Sestito really offered nothing that this club didn't already have. In terms of fighting, Rinaldo can fight and can fight quite well. Rinaldo can also skate and has shown that he's becoming more comfortable in his role and is starting to find where his edge is and what he can and can't do. I agree that I hope some other organization picks him up and that contract is no longer in the Flyers hands.

Rinaldo won't fight the big guys, though. Even though it's not really needed in today's game, it would be nice to have some protection besides Shelley. Since Sestito could actually take a regular shift and be a factor out there I don't like this move at all. Sestito was actually someone the opposition had to look out for, he was pretty violent on the forecheck.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Wouldn't it be awesome if some loser team grabbed Leighton? Oh, a girl can dream!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Actually, Sestito only had one year of juniors where he put similar numbers to what Chaput did for three years. His numbers are also on pace to be much better than Sestito's AHL numbers. That also doesn't account for the fact that he's a much better defensive player and can actually win some faceoffs. It would be nice if we could draft and develop a long term solution for the fourth line center role instead of overpaying free agents like Talbot or bringing in washed up guys like Fedotenko. If Chaput could turn into a Blair Betts/Jim Slater type, he would be much more valuable long term than Sestito.

Now Talbot is overpaid? And I think most people will agree that Juniors numbers mean little to nothing. For example, Max Talbot scored over 100 points in juniors. But if we are to compare Chaput and Sestito, Sestito scored at nearly an identical pace as Chaput at the same age in their final season in Juniors. In their rookie season in the AHL, Chaput is on pace to outscore Sestito, but not by much. You also have to look at their styles of play, these are two very different players. An enforcer who can put up roughly the same amount of points as a projected third line center, may very well be more valuble to an organization who is flush with third line centers who can put up far more points than an even lower regarded third line center.

Actually, I'm not even mad at this trade, it's just another example of Homer blowing assets that he didn't need to. It's not in the category of the Eminger trade/first Gagne trade/Hyka incident, but it is something.

Even if Chaput developed and we couldn't find a spot for him, they could, you know, use him as an asset in a trade to actually improve the roster. Whatever though.

Lol. You are really grasping at straws here. You would rather hold on to a guy who maybe one day possibly will be able to get more of a return than Tom Sestito? Or maybe that same guy will never do anything and will get away for nothing. Then you would be saying I can't believe they didn't trade this guy when he had promise and the Flyers had 137 other Centers on the team! It was clear he would never play here and getting something would be better than getting nothing! Move on.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
You can get those type of players pretty much any off-season via FA or for minimal trade value.

At age 21? Im talking about this season or next.

Sesitito type players you can get at any level of all ages.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
Only Chaput busting turns this into a potential wash for Holmgren in history's eyes. I hope Sestito doesn't have to go to the Blue Jackets.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Since the SCF, Leighton has been paid $4M and has played in four games. Giving up 13 goals on 91 shots for a .857%. Good riddance, and please never come back to the NHL.

That made my day, thanks. :nod: I really doubt he'll ever be back with the Flyers after this. Boucher is fine as the back up. Seeya! Sesito could be claimed by any number of teams. Wellwood and Harry Z are more than capable 13th forwards.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The main issue is asset management. Chaput is worth more than Sestito. Sestito is being waived, Chaput is not. I know its a minor trade, but it is still a decrease in asset value. Even if Chaput is able to be traded for a 6th rounder, that has more value than a waived player. It bugs me because it makes no sense.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Only Chaput busting turns this into a potential wash for Holmgren in history's eyes. I hope Sestito doesn't have to go to the Blue Jackets.

How do you define a third round bust? If anything, I would say the only way this turns out to be anything other than a wash is if Chaput turns into something other than a fourth liner/borderline third liner.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The main issue is asset management. Chaput is worth more than Sestito. Sestito is being waived, Chaput is not. I know its a minor trade, but it is still a decrease in asset value. Even if Chaput is able to be traded for a 6th rounder, that has more value than a waived player. It bugs me because it makes no sense.

:facepalm:

Are you kidding me? A sixth rounder is worth more than a player who has played in NHL games in what world???

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Since the SCF, Leighton has been paid $4M and has played in four games. Giving up 13 goals on 91 shots for a .857%. Good riddance, and please never come back to the NHL.

Only one thing on this earth is more painful than that fact.

Excuse me, I'm going to lay my head on the railroad tracks and wait for the Acela Express.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i've gotta tell ya, ive been a fan of Leights since the magical 2010 season, he really re-sparked my love of the Flyers and staying more in touch with the team, then just watching for scores in the next days paper..

but tbh, being a Leighton fan has seriously been like being a fan of being kicked in the nuts..Hahahah

/facepalm

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Considering he's an extra forward and healthy scratch type player, yes.

Doesn't really matter though considering its a non issue.

Honestly though, how many 6th round picks even make it to that level lol. This entire back and forth is just baffling. I can't believe people actually care about Michael freakin Chaput.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Honestly though, how many 6th round picks even make it to that level lol. This entire back and forth is just baffling. I can't believe people actually care about Michael freakin Chaput.

I am surprised that some folks think that Homer woke up this morning, got out of bed on wrong side and decided to wave Sestito.

I can not be sure, but I would hope that he had tried to trade him first. And waived him after finding no suitors.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

We dont have to since he isnt our player :laugh:. I can tell you though that CLB fans do.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
We dont have to since he isnt our player :laugh:. I can tell you though that CLB fans do.
Yeah, Chaput is going to be an NHL regular sooner than later. Big strong kid. Smart. Character. He's very comparable, in his favour, to McGinn in every way - and younger. I thought it was a good draft pick, and also worth trading him for something the big club needed when Sestito came over.

At this point, Sestito has failed to crack the roster after many attempts. We've got guys the coach likes better for the 4th line. In fact, with no other deletions and after Read comes back, the 4th line will be comprised of 3 of: Talbot, Fedotenko, McGinn, Rinaldo, Knuble, HarryZ.

There is never going to be room for Sestito in our top 6 lines, so there is no point worrying if someone picks him up. Waivers were designed so guys who can play in the league eventually get a chance instead of being buried in the minors forever.

It would also free up a contract spot for us to pick someone else UP too....

As far as Leighton goes, he'll be a Phantom until they need him, the team clearly likes having Boosh around.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

The chance is minute but I'd still rather have the chance then gain a healthy scratch player we ended up waiving.

Guys like Datsyuk, Hornqvist, Etc. we're late picks. It's minute but still.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Considering he's an extra forward and healthy scratch type player, yes.

Doesn't really matter though considering its a non issue.

So you think having a pick that hopefully maybe some day might get to the NHL is better than having a guy that is already there? Having a pick that is more likely to produce a player never to see the NHL than it is to produce even a fringe NHL player is better than having a player who under the age of 25 is already up and down between the NHL and AHL, that is what you are telling me. Essentially a bird in hand is worth less than two in the bush.

Of course there are situations when a high pick is worth more than an NHL player to a club (like a deadline deal or trading a player who won't get to the NHL on your club), but to say Homer made a mistake because Chaput could have fetched a sixth rounder one day is ridiculous (which is what the other guy said, not necessarily you). If that is the case, then I can just as easily say he is a genius because he may have also gotten nothing if he waited.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
So you think having a pick that hopefully maybe some day might get to the NHL is better than having a guy that is already there? Having a pick that is more likely to produce a player never to see the NHL than it is to produce even a fringe NHL player is better than having a player who under the age of 25 is already up and down between the NHL and AHL, that is what you are telling me. Essentially a bird in hand is worth less than two in the bush.

Of course there are situations when a high pick is worth more than an NHL player to a club (like a deadline deal or trading a player who won't get to the NHL on your club), but to say Homer made a mistake because Chaput could have fetched a sixth rounder one day is ridiculous (which is what the other guy said, not necessarily you). If that is the case, then I can just as easily say he is a genius because he may have also gotten nothing if he waited.

You seem unable to grasp that he's an extra forward. That means he barely plays. Actually, he's not even an NHL player right now because he's been waived. Not exactly worth anything. You also seem to have missed the part where I said its a non issue.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You seem unable to grasp that he's an extra forward. That means he barely plays. Actually, he's not even an NHL player right now because he's been waived. Not exactly worth anything. You also seem to have missed the part where I said its a non issue.

Oh ok. Good point. Homer made a mistake because he could have had a pick that could have turned into a guy who is an extra forward. Instead he got a player that was an extra forward. Thanks for clearing that up for me. But it is a non-issue so by saying that it makes your statement even more true and helps clear up this problem I am having with valuing one fringe NHLer extra forward against a pick that hopefully maybe one day possibly will be a fringe NHLer extra forward.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Oh ok. Good point. Homer made a mistake because he could have had a pick that could have turned into a guy who is an extra forward. Instead he got a player that was an extra forward. Thanks for clearing that up for me. But it is a non-issue so by saying that it makes your statement even more true and helps clear up this problem I am having with valuing one fringe NHLer extra forward against a pick that hopefully maybe one day possibly will be a fringe NHLer extra forward.

I'm saying it is bad asset management. If I pay one dollar for a brownie and turn around and sell it for 80 cents, that is bad management. You act like a 6th round pick is worthless. It mostly is. But it is not always. Many players have been successes in late rounds - Halak, Elliot, Tocchet, Rinne, Alferedsson, et al. Sure it's rare, but it is still posible. You act like these picks are meaningless.

There were people that didn't mind getting rid of a first rounder for Steve Emminger because we already had one that round. That logic baffles me. Chaput is nothing special. He may play in the NHL he may not. That possibility is still greater than a player who is not in the NHL. Holmgren exhibits bad asset management more than I'd like him too - the Versteeg deal for example. I recognize that Chaput will never be an All-Star. But he COULD end up being serviceable. I just wish Holmgren managed assets better. Many rich people are rich because they value every dollar. There is something to be said for that. Buy low sell high. It's basic business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad