Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
What is funny about the Leighton circus is that some people said it was a waste of energy to talk about a guy who was going to play 10 games maybe......what an understatement considering he's only played 1 game and been waived :laugh:

Michael Leighton
GP GA GAA SA PCT
1 5 5.08 26 .808

The sad part about this is, that Boosh isn't any better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What is funny about the Leighton circus is that some people said it was a waste of energy to talk about a guy who was going to play 10 games maybe......what an understatement considering he's only played 1 game and been waived :laugh:

Michael Leighton
GP GA GAA SA PCT
1 5 5.08 26 .808

In fairness that is just one start. Had it been better and I used that one start to assert that he was doing a good job, I would be flamed beyond belief.

I think Homer may have just been appeasing Leighton (I hope he is but yeah have my doubts)....it's really kind of Lavi's call anyway. Lavi is big on rewarding goalies with playing time for their "body of work" in practice like he had done with Bob. All indications are that Leighton was no better than a cardboard tutor shooter cutout in practice...

Yeah I think this accurate. I don't think Holmgren would tell him, sorry buddy, you will never see the NHL again. Or maybe he did, but Leighton won't come out and say, well Homer said I am toast. Goodnight.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
In fairness that is just one start. Had it been better and I used that one start to assert that he was doing a good job, I would be flamed beyond belief.

Yeah I think this accurate. I don't think Holmgren would tell him, sorry buddy, you will never see the NHL again. Or maybe he did, but Leighton won't come out and say, well Homer said I am toast. Goodnight.

Sure it's one start but he looked like he didn't belong that whole game..his positioning etc was poor. I remember Meltzer saying the same thing but he also said in fairness he hadn't played since the last leap year or something.

The thing is that supposedly in practice he wasn't very "challenging." Then he got a paper cut on his finger or whatever...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Sure it's one start but he looked like he didn't belong that whole game..his positioning etc was poor. I remember Meltzer saying the same thing but he also said in fairness he hadn't played since the last leap year or something.

The thing is that supposedly in practice he wasn't very "challenging." Then he got a paper cut on his finger or whatever...

Oh I know. I am not saying that he should be given another shot to get the backup role or anything like that, just pointing to his line from this season thus far is not a fair criticism. He looked like crap. That is fair criticism. Pointing to his numbers in such a small sample size is dubious at best. Like I said, if that one game was a shutout then he got injured, I would get laughed out of here I posted that exact same post only with the hypothetical stats.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I hadn't heard about the practice comment. What's the source? If true, it would be a very good indication (not that he needed much!) of why Laviolette kept Leighton nailed to the bench.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In the past few weeks, Brodeur, Anderson, Khabibulin, Harding, Kiprusoff, and now Ward (after the fact), all got hurt, while Dallas hasn't been able to keep any of their goaltenders healthy. Leighton still wasn't claimed.

RJ8812*

In the past few weeks, Brodeur, Anderson, Khabibulin, Harding, Kiprusoff, and now Ward (after the fact), all got hurt, while Dallas hasn't been able to keep any of their goaltenders healthy. Leighton still wasn't claimed.

and yet Holmgren thought he was worth $950,000

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I'm quite certain Michael Leighton will not prove himself worthy of an NHL job like Craig Anderson has...

I mean the fact that he can't even prove himself in practice pretty much confirms my belief...

Hindsight is 20/20. Do you think that the 3 GM's that waived Anderson in 2006 thought that he would have proved himself worthy of an NHL job and be one of the top netminders 6 years later?

All I am saying is that you posted that Leighton was waived a bunch of times. So was Anderson (ironically both were with the Blackhawks and played together in the AHL) so one truly never knows what can happen.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hindsight is 20/20. Do you think that the 3 GM's that waived Anderson in 2006 thought that he would have proved himself worthy of an NHL job and be one of the top netminders 6 years later?

All I am saying is that you posted that Leighton was waived a bunch of times. So was Anderson (ironically both were with the Blackhawks and played together in the AHL) so one truly never knows what can happen.

This is a ludicrous analogy ..it's a false equivalency. We know what has happened with Leighton time and time again..huge sample size. Leighton has been given a ton of opportunities to prove himself in the NHL compared to Anderson and has been waived over a dozen times. I mean for the life of God..Leighton had the opportunity of a lifetime to prove himself in a Cup Final and crapped the bed. There are tons of players let alone goalies who never even get that chance....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is a ludicrous analogy ..it's a false equivalency. We know what has happened with Leighton time and time again..huge sample size. Leighton has been given a ton of opportunities to prove himself in the NHL compared to Anderson and has been waived over a dozen times. I mean for the life of God..Leighton had the opportunity of a lifetime to prove himself in a Cup Final and crapped the bed. There are tons of players let alone goalies who never even get that chance....

I think that is why he was talking about hindsight. Yes he was given all these chances and blew them but when he was signed after being waived all those times, it was possible for him to turn out to be better than what those waiving teams thought they were waiving. Clearly that was not the case, but I believe what he was saying is that just because you sign someone that got waived (even multiple times) it doesn't mean that the guy is going to be waived again in the future or that it is a per se bad signing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think that is why he was talking about hindsight. Yes he was given all these chances and blew them but when he was signed after being waived all those times, it was possible for him to turn out to be better than what those waiving teams thought they were waiving. Clearly that was not the case, but I believe what he was saying is that just because you sign someone that got waived (even multiple times) it doesn't mean that the guy is going to be waived again in the future or that it is a per se bad signing.

With Leighton the "possibility" was like humans figuring out how to travel at the speed of light. In any case, if we limit it to the Flyers..they should have cut off ties with him after the Finals and when he wasn't forthcoming with his back injury. Unfortunately, he was resurrected like Lazerus for a critical game in the playoffs that nearly got the Flyers ousted in the first round. He went AWOL after that outing and had some kind of nervous breakdown supposedly. To add insult to injury...Holmgren actually considers him to be an option at backup after Bryz had a terrible season last year. It just baffles the mind that this Leighton caricature continues to get chances at the NHL level after he has proven time and time again more so than Anderson that HE DOES NOT BELONG!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad