Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Sestito might get claimed.

The Flyers placed two players on waivers Thursday – forward Tom Sestito and goalie Michael Leighton.

Leighton has been sidelined for three weeks with a badly bruised ring finger but appears to have been beaten out for his backup spot by his replacement Brian Boucher.

As for Sestito, he certainly has more value to a lineup because of his size, but he has had a hard time staying healthy since arriving in Philadelphia.

His most recent injury, a severe charley horse, was suffered during a conditioning assignment with the Phantoms last week. While he’s been skating since, he has said he doesn’t feel great on the ice just yet, which has made him unavailable to Laviolette for several games.

If they go unclaimed by the other 29 teams in the NHL by Noon tomorrow, the Flyers have the option to keep the players on their roster or send them to the Adirondack Phantoms of the AHL.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=14712

Last edited by a moderator:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Tommy Sestito... Thanks for the win against Tampa, but you were pretty useless apart from that. Also, does anyone know how well Chaput has been playing? From just the stats, it seems like he's put up a pretty respectable rookie year in the AHL. Good thing Homer traded him for waiver fodder.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If they get claimed, yes

Though I don't think Leighton gets claimed. Sestito? Maybe

Gotcha, thanks. Leighton has to feel like he's in the twilight zone. Isn't this the second time he's been signed only to be waived? On the flip side though, he keeps getting paid by an awful goalie.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Since the SCF, Leighton has been paid $4M and has played in four games. Giving up 13 goals on 91 shots for a .857%. Good riddance, and please never come back to the NHL.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
dont worry Leighton fanboys he will be back. No one is going to claim him and he will be back when Boucher has a "lower body injury".
Sestito probably gets claimed by the Isles or someone.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Leighton won't get claimed. The guy was on his way out of the NHL for good in 2010 when a perfect storm in Philly bought him extra time. No team is in a similar situation now. We're stuck with the guy, as incapable as he is at performing on an NHL level. Thanks, Homer.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Sestito will probably be claimed, which may mean that a move is coming. Otherwise, I see no reason to "give" Sestito.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
No big loss if Sestito gets claimed. It's not as if he did anything important in Philadelphia. Hard to believe Holmgren gave up a pretty decent prospect for a guy who was waived a few years later. Good asset management there.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I hate Leighton as a goalie in the NHL so much, I'd rather trade him for Dipietro just so he doesnt have a shot in a Flyers uniform again. Amnesty Dipietro at seasons end.

Hands are washed clean. :naughty:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for Tampa Sestito.

He'll probably get claimed. Homer is the only person who wants Leighton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad