Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers

Hearing the Oilers may be interested in claiming Tom Sestito off waivers. He isn't 100 percent healthy right now, though.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Ok... defend that move. It made no sense at the time, and it certainly looks even crappier now.

I'll go out on a limb and say they liked Sestito more than Chaput so they made the trade. Not much more to say than that. I would add that Sestito's 2 goals were worth a player who was never going to play for the Flyers.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I liked Sestito but we have enough guys that can drop the gloves on this team, especially now that Rinaldo resembles a real 4th line hockey player now instead of just a goon. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ok... defend that move. It made no sense at the time, and it certainly looks even crappier now.

Uhh, the kid was never going to play for the Flyers. He, like Sestito, will probably be waived at some point if he ever makes the NHL. Chaput has 21 points in 49 games in the AHL and he's a month shy of 21. The year the Flyers got Sestito he had 35 points in 57 games in the AHL at the ancient age of 23.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
i hope they both get claimed but we all know Leighton will still be with the organization. My dislike for Sestito may be considered irrational by some but i just don't like him. I hope the rumors of oilers looking to pick him up are true, frees up a contract spot.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Uhh, the kid was never going to play for the Flyers. He, like Sestito, will probably be waived at some point if he ever makes the NHL. Chaput has 21 points in 49 games in the AHL and he's a month shy of 21. The year the Flyers got Sestito he had 35 points in 57 games in the AHL at the ancient age of 23.

Chaput wasn't drafted to be a scorer though. Chaput was drafted because he was one of the better defensive players in junior hockey. The fact he had some success offensively was a bonus. He was to be a true 3rd line centerman who can win those key faceoffs and chip in with 10 to 15 goals a year and head up a top PK unit. He's being groomed as a third line center and he's actually played quite well in the AHL so far this year.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Chaput wasn't drafted to be a scorer though. Chaput was drafted because he was one of the better defensive players in junior hockey. The fact he had some success offensively was a bonus. He was to be a true 3rd line centerman who can win those key faceoffs and chip in with 10 to 15 goals a year and head up a top PK unit. He's being groomed as a third line center and he's actually played quite well in the AHL so far this year.

That's fine, not losing sleep over it when we have Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, Cousins and Talbot down the middle for at least the next 2-3 years. Chaput wasn't going to play.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
i hope they both get claimed but we all know Leighton will still be with the organization. My dislike for Sestito may be considered irrational by some but i just don't like him. I hope the rumors of oilers looking to pick him up are true, frees up a contract spot.

Sestito really offered nothing that this club didn't already have. In terms of fighting, Rinaldo can fight and can fight quite well. Rinaldo can also skate and has shown that he's becoming more comfortable in his role and is starting to find where his edge is and what he can and can't do. I agree that I hope some other organization picks him up and that contract is no longer in the Flyers hands.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
That's fine, not losing sleep over it when we have Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, Cousins and Talbot down the middle for at least the next 2-3 years. Chaput wasn't going to play.

If he's good enough, you make room for good players. Sestito obviously isn't good enough to force the Flyers hands to make room for him. Chaput probably would have forced the Flyers to make room for him in the bottom six. Oh well, such is life.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

He's a two-way forward that is good at faceoffs. That sounds like something that any team could use in their system. And those are very good numbers for a rookie in his first year of professional hockey.

Sestito was pretty well pegged to be a fourth line fringe guy before we even got him. He further proved that when he only played in twenty-one games in two seasons with the Flyers while only putting up three points and being a liability for a stupid penalty on any shift. He's always been sub NHL quality.

Chaput actually has some talent and could be in the NHL one day. Even if only as a fourth line center, that's a hell of a lot more valuable than a Sestito type.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Never thought I'd see a thread where people were up in arms about trading future superstar Michal Chaput.

Homer traded him.

That's fine he wasn't drafted to be a scorer. He may very well be a third line center some day. Some day. Let's see...do the Flyers have anyone who could play third line center? Oh yeah, that guy Couturier may be there because of the log jam. If not There is this other guy Laughton. Then there is that guy Cousins. And the Flyers probably won't draft anyone this year that could possibly be a fringe third line center. It probably would have been better to just let him play in ADK for a couple years then let him walk. Then everyone could complain that Homer let such a stud go for nothing!

He's a two-way forward that is good at faceoffs. That sounds like something that any team could use in their system. And those are very good numbers for a rookie in his first year of professional hockey.

Sestito put up similar numbers, and like Chaput, was not drafted to be a scorer. When you have a number of guys that can play the role Chaput is slated to play (better than Chaput can play it), wouldn't you rather have a guy like Sestito who is putting up similar points, but plays a totally different game than anyone in your organization? Of course not! If there is one thing this team needs it is third line centers!

Sestito was pretty well pegged to be a fourth line fringe guy before we even got him. He further proved that when he only played in twenty-one games in two seasons with the Flyers while only putting up three points and being a liability for a stupid penalty on any shift. He's always been sub NHL quality.

I don't think anyone expected Sestito to do anything more than he did. You, on the other hand, have pretty high hopes Chaput.

Chaput actually has some talent and could be in the NHL one day. Even if only as a fourth line center, that's a hell of a lot more valuable than a Sestito type.

So a guy who COULD be in the NHL ONE DAY as a FOURTH LINE CENTER is more valuable than a guy who also ONE DAY may be in the NHL as a FOURTH LINE WINGER? One who already has played in the NHL.

Last edited:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
If he's good enough, you make room for good players. Sestito obviously isn't good enough to force the Flyers hands to make room for him. Chaput probably would have forced the Flyers to make room for him in the bottom six. Oh well, such is life.

Guys, seriously, just stop. Sestito is nothing, and neither is Chaput. He'd be like 9th on the depth chart at center for this team. Maybe some day he'll be a 4th liner somewhere, sweet good for him, who cares?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Homer traded him.

That's fine he wasn't drafted to be a scorer. He may very well be a third line center some day. Some day. Let's see...do the Flyers have anyone who could play third line center? Oh yeah, that guy Couturier may be there because of the log jam. If not There is this other guy Laughton. Then there is that guy Cousins. And the Flyers probably won't draft anyone this year that could possibly be a fringe third line center. It probably would have been better to just let him play in ADK for a couple years then let him walk. Then everyone could complain that Homer let such a stud go for nothing!

Sestito put up similar numbers, and like Chaput, was not drafted to be a scorer. When you have a number of guys that can play the role Chaput is slated to play (better than Chaput can play it), wouldn't you rather have a guy like Sestito who is putting up similar points, but plays a totally different game than anyone in your organization? Of course not! If there is one thing this team needs it is third line centers!

I don't think anyone expected Sestito to do anything more than he did. You, on the other hand, have pretty high hopes Chaput.

So a guy who COULD be in the NHL ONE DAY as a FOURTH LINE CENTER is more valuable than a guy who also ONE DAY may be in the NHL as a FOURTH LINE WINGER? One who already has played in the NHL.

Actually, Sestito only had one year of juniors where he put similar numbers to what Chaput did for three years. His numbers are also on pace to be much better than Sestito's AHL numbers. That also doesn't account for the fact that he's a much better defensive player and can actually win some faceoffs. It would be nice if we could draft and develop a long term solution for the fourth line center role instead of overpaying free agents like Talbot or bringing in washed up guys like Fedotenko. If Chaput could turn into a Blair Betts/Jim Slater type, he would be much more valuable long term than Sestito.

Actually, I'm not even mad at this trade, it's just another example of Homer blowing assets that he didn't need to. It's not in the category of the Eminger trade/first Gagne trade/Hyka incident, but it is something.

Even if Chaput developed and we couldn't find a spot for him, they could, you know, use him as an asset in a trade to actually improve the roster. Whatever though.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eh, as someone who watches the Jackets after the Flyers, Chaput might have a chance of cracking the team during this season. Kid is a STUD on faceoffs (+60% at every level) and a really good defensive forward. Wouldnt be surprised if he turns into a Blair Betts type of forward. Always on the PK, and out there to win faceoffs.

I always Chaput but its really not that big of a deal, but to say that Chaput hasnt been good this season in the AHL means one doesnt know anything about the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00