Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So he is MacDonald?
And Ghost is Streit.
And Morin is good Coburn(the one with the mean streak)
And Sanheim is Kimmo with size

So are they much better than what we have had the past 2 years?

You have zero clue how each of them will turn out so making these comparisons make no sense. If you're saying that's they're styles, then fine, but it seems like you're trying to say they'll end up as the same thing that we already have.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You have zero clue how each of them will turn out so making these comparisons make no sense. If you're saying that's they're styles, then fine, but it seems like you're trying to say they'll end up as the same thing that we already have.

My point was that in SHORT TERM, they will be similar to what we have. But in PRIME, it could be a great defense.

Prime Kimmo with size is a great dman
Prime Coburn that is mean is a hellish guy to play against.
Prime Streit is a 50-60 point guy.
Prime MacD is a mid pairing guy who plays lots of minutes.
That's a great top 4.
I also just saw Meltzer's blog where a a Western scout compared Freidman to Carle.

If all the kids developed into those guys, we will be very lucky. But to expect it in 2 years when Coburn, a Schenn and Grossmann are UFA's and Kimmo is gone is unrealistic.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My point was that in SHORT TERM, they will be similar to what we have. But in PRIME, it could be a great defense.

That's a great top 4.
I also just saw Meltzer's blog where a a Western scout compared Freidman to Carle.

If all the kids developed into those guys, we will be very lucky. But to expect it in 2 years when Coburn, a Schenn and Grossmann are UFA's and Kimmo is gone is unrealistic.

I'd be happy with that short and long term. Short term we basically the same D for MUCH cheaper and long term we have much better D and it'd probably still be cheaper than the current crop. I think within 3 years all of those guys are on the team, unless there's trades. I just hope we can get at least on of them on the roster this year... both to save money and give them experience, plus I think it'd make our defense better as far as puck moving and skating is concerned.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

That's a great top 4.

Prime Kimmo with size is a top 5 defenseman. When we got him, Timonen was top 15 or possibly even a top 10 defenseman. That was his best, but adding size is deadly.

Prime Coburn with a mean streak is...well playoff Coburn. Playoff Coburn is a beast. We've all seen how he plays Pittsburgh.

Prime Streit is a top 15 defenseman and in the running for the top offensive defenseman in the league.

Prime MacDonald is a steady two-way defenseman who can log heavy minutes on the back-end, play the first pass well, and help out offensively.

If that is our top 4 in 5-6 years time, we have an elite defense, not just a good or great one.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Coburn with offense is a #1 defender in this league. Even if he isn't physical a guy who plays 23 minutes a night and puts up 40 points or more is perfect in my book. That's a stud right there. Of course I want Sanheim to be more physical but Morin is already there with that so we don't have to worry so much about our defense being soft.

Just want to say I hate comparisons too. Hopefully in 5 years people are comparing new draftees with our defense!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know it's not that easy, but with all the defensive prospects we have and the way they all have SO MUCH potential, I have to think at least one of them ends up a #1. Morin, Ghost, and Sanheim have the potential to be amazing, hopefully one of the puts it all together, the good news is that the team is clearly dedicated to taking their time with them and doing it right.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know it's not that easy, but with all the defensive prospects we have and the way they all have SO MUCH potential, I have to think at least one of them ends up a #1. Morin, Ghost, and Sanheim have the potential to be amazing, hopefully one of the puts it all together, the good news is that the team is clearly dedicated to taking their time with them and doing it right.

Yup. And Hextall certainly doesn't sound like he wants to rush anyone. Let them develop and hopefully have an impact when they do arrive as opposed to just filling a roster spot because we have no one else.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Coburn with offense is a #1 defender in this league. Even if he isn't physical a guy who plays 23 minutes a night and puts up 40 points or more is perfect in my book. That's a stud right there. Of course I want Sanheim to be more physical but Morin is already there with that so we don't have to worry so much about our defense being soft.

Just want to say I hate comparisons too. Hopefully in 5 years people are comparing new draftees with our defense!

I'm annoyed by coburn. And that hit a peak in the last playoff game. The guy just isn't good enough. He should be a #4 guy. I'd like to trade him for another cheaper piece. I think hextall would like to straighten out this **** D but is stuck with certain things until our prospects come up. Hoping ghost alt and Hagg are ready to go by mid late next season!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm annoyed by coburn. And that hit a peak in the last playoff game. The guy just isn't good enough. He should be a #4 guy. I'd like to trade him for another cheaper piece. I think hextall would like to straighten out this **** D but is stuck with certain things until our prospects come up. Hoping ghost alt and Hagg are ready to go by mid late next season!

Coburn's a 2/3 on nearly every team in the league. There are very few teams where he'd be the 4.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 7m
#Flyers have qualified Akeson, McGinn, Manning and Gustafsson. That means they will hold Gustafsson's rights if returns from KHL.

David Strehle ‏@DStrehleTFP 7m
Sound like they've not sent offers to Cal Heeter, Kyle Flanagan, Tyler Brown, M A Bourdon, Cullen Eddy, & Tyler Hostetter. All will be UFAs

I'm happy Akeson will stay, don't really care about the losses, and I'm kinda annoyed that McGinn is gonna stay because that means I'm gonna have to hear people want him on the roster and see him get called up over more deserving people....

RJ8812*

I'm happy Akeson will stay, don't really care about the losses, and I'm kinda annoyed that McGinn is gonna stay because that means I'm gonna have to hear people want him on the roster and see him get called up over more deserving people....

:laugh:

I just checked the comment on the Flyers FB page :facepalm:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I doubt it happens but if McGinn can refined his game pre-Mike Brown breaking his face than he's not a bad player. It certainly doesn't hurt to retain him at this juncture however I do think he's down to his last chance here to prove something.

Pretty much all those guys are down to their last chance for that matter even Akeson since I doubt he clears waivers.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
McGinn just doesn't stand out to me. He's supposed to be a powerforward but ain't good along the walls. The only thing he does well is be at the right place and time for an easy tap in rebound.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Have any other teams had this many d prospects with promise but no big time stud? I want to see where we will be in few years. No way all of them workout

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I just saw this reported... Lindblom and Hagg will be at the u20 Lake Placid summer deal for Sweden. Fazleev will be there for Russia.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Have any other teams had this many d prospects with promise but no big time stud? I want to see where we will be in few years. No way all of them workout

Buffalo has Ristolanien, Zadorov, McCabe, & Pysk. New York (I) has Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pelech, & Mayfield. Edmonton has Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, Musil, & Gernat. Unless I'm missing someone else the Flyers along with these three teams have the best defensive prospects in the league.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Chicago, with Keith, Seabrook, & Hjalmarsson? Is that what you mean? They did have Campbell though. Nashville with Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, etc. is another, though they had Timonen.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Same here. Happy for Akeson and annoyed by McGinn. Also very glad Bourdon will not be qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino