Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Under the Holmgren tenture:

-JVR didn't hit the main club for 2 years.
-Sbisa, yeah, thrown into the NHL and things didn't go great.
-Couturier--played well enough in camp that Lavy wanted him. Definitely could've stayed down, but it's worked out.
-Laughton--given a look, despite being potentially NHL ready...was sent down
-Morin--had a solid camp, sent back for seasoning.

Two players thrown into the fire (though Couturier impressed his way there,) out of five. I think the Flyers are definitely more willing to consider the recent 1st round picks for the NHL, but I don't see the trend of them really being fast tracked directly into it.

JVR not being on the Flyers after 1 year was his decision. Holmgren tried desperately to sign him and get him out of college, and JVR didn't want to. That is what started the rumors that did eventually lead to him being traded.

Fast-tracking I consider to be without a season in the AHL, not simply directly out of the draft. Laughton would have stayed too, and was only sent back as to not burn a year of his ELC on the lockout season. Holmgren has not wanted 1st round picks to fiddle around in the AHL, especially given the Phantoms success in general

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I don't think we see Couturier until last season if Blair Betts knees hold up. I don't know if that would be for better or worse, but we usually do better when we let guys cook.

Morin has some things to learn. He's getting better with his footwork, and he's getting his shot off faster.

I think Ghost and Hagg will jump quickly. Hagg is meant for NA ice. Ghost might not be big, but he's a big game player.

But I think Hexy lets them all linger for a bit. I think he's going for the Detroit model, and I hope he is. All this talk about contracts and trades is worthless if the club can't develop some plug-in players.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'll admit I was harsh, but he does get pushed around pretty easily. I can't remember Hextall saying anything about Ghost specifically. He has said he likes the kids on D, but he wants them to develop.

he has never been known to be a physical player ever since he came to NA at 18 but hes a very good skater, is good with the puck on his stick and is above average defensively. I like him a lot. Holmgren asked for him in the Richards deal and LA said no obviously.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
Voynov is a young player. I don't want to pigeon-hole him, because I'm sure he's going to grow. I was definitely too harsh with the useless comment, but he probably gets ripped to shreds on most teams other than the Kings. I'd like him on the Flyers too, but do you think he preforms better than Streit did last year? I don't. He was getting attacked constantly during the playoffs. He's the Kings defensive weak link. That doesn't mean he won't be a stalwart 2-3 years from now.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
I don't think we see Couturier until last season if Blair Betts knees hold up. I don't know if that would be for better or worse, but we usually do better when we let guys cook.

Morin has some things to learn. He's getting better with his footwork, and he's getting his shot off faster.

I think Ghost and Hagg will jump quickly. Hagg is meant for NA ice. Ghost might not be big, but he's a big game player.

But I think Hexy lets them all linger for a bit. I think he's going for the Detroit model, and I hope he is. All this talk about contracts and trades is worthless if the club can't develop some plug-in players.

Thought it was his perpetually dislocated shoulder that did him in here?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I think it is crucial we start to integrate our prospects into the team. Of course if they are not ready then let them develop, but from what I have seen from Alt and Ghost should be ready to step in next year. I would be very happy to see both of them in the lineup and then the following year we try to integrate two of Hagg, Morin, Sanheim.

#IsItOctoberYet

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Where do you guys think Sanheim will be ranked in our top 10 prospects?

Just thinking that myself. I figure he'll start off behind the top 3, but I expect him to jump somebody by year's end next year. I think he will be close to a PPG guy next year in Calgary. He will have a big role now that they have a few of their big guys moving on.

GoingTopShelf

Aug 1, 2012
Would be awesome if both Sanheim and Morin makes the WJC squad.

Do you guys who knows the CHL a lot better than me thinks there's a chance of that happening?

----
Invited to summer camp:
Chris Bigras, Owen Sound, OHL (Colorado Avalanche)
Madison Bowey, Kelowna, WHL (Washington Capitals)
Aaron Ekblad, Barrie, OHL (Florida Panthers)
Haydn Fleury, Red Deer, WHL (Carolina Panthers)
Ben Harpur, Guelph, OHL (Ottawa Senators)
Dillon Heatherington, Swift Current, WHL (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Roland McKeown, Kingston, OHL (2014 draft eligible)
Samuel Morin, Rimouski, OHL (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joshua Morrissey, Prince Albert, WHL (Winnipeg Jets)
Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL (Edmonton Oilers)
Travis Sanheim, Calgary, WHL (Philadelphia Flyers)
Shea Theodore, Seattle, WHL (Anaheim Ducks)

-----
Ekblad is pretty much a look to be in NHL, Morrisey might make the Jets (?) depending on what they do with Bogo and/or Buff.
My picks in bold. Any kid not invited who could make it?

Im counting on Hägg to be with the Phantoms full time 14/15, so would be nice if they release him to the swedish squad.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
So now our D pipeline is looking excellent while we have jack **** in terms of forwards. Greeeeat

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Would be awesome if both Sanheim and Morin makes the WJC squad.

Do you guys who knows the CHL a lot better than me thinks there's a chance of that happening?

----
Invited to summer camp:
Chris Bigras, Owen Sound, OHL (Colorado Avalanche)
Madison Bowey, Kelowna, WHL (Washington Capitals)
Aaron Ekblad, Barrie, OHL (Florida Panthers)
Ben Harpur, Guelph, OHL (Ottawa Senators)
Dillon Heatherington, Swift Current, WHL (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Roland McKeown, Kingston, OHL (2014 draft eligible)
Samuel Morin, Rimouski, OHL (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joshua Morrissey, Prince Albert, WHL (Winnipeg Jets)
Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL (Edmonton Oilers)
Travis Sanheim, Calgary, WHL (Philadelphia Flyers)
Shea Theodore, Seattle, WHL (Anaheim Ducks)

-----
Ekblad is pretty much a look to be in NHL, Morrisey might make the Jets (?) depending on what they do with Bogo and/or Buff.
My picks in bold. Any kid not invited who could make it?

Im counting on Hägg to be with the Phantoms full time 14/15, so would be nice if they release him to the swedish squad.

Wow he plays football too!!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Him & Morin should be favorites for two of the spots as of now.

Not sure I would say favorites. A lot of lefties among the group invited to the summer camp. Morin should make the team, but you never know. It's hard for 18 year olds to make the team.

Bigras
Nurse
Morrissey
Theodore
Fleury

Two returnees and one that should have been on the team last year. One or two might be in the NHL, but I would be a little more confident if they were RHD.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
So now our D pipeline is looking excellent while we have jack **** in terms of forwards. Greeeeat

To be fair, Schenn and Couturier are fairly young players and they're already on the big team. And it's not like the cupboard is empty - we already had Laughton and Leier who looked promising, and now we're adding in Aube-Kubel and Lindblom who sound like they could be players someday if things go right.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Bigras was incredibly close to making the Avs this year; I think he'll make it this upcoming year.

We'll see. Colorado had some guys step up last year and Bigras didn't exactly light up the OHL. I know he's not known for his offense, but I imagine they thought he would pick it up a bit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not saying it means anything, but after the discussion raised on Morin, interesting Hextall took two defensemen listed under 6'.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Not saying it means anything, but after the discussion raised on Morin, interesting Hextall took two defensemen listed under 6'.

Sure, in the 3rd & 7th rounds. His first pick is 6-3.

Hextall said:
“Some people talk about small puck movers and stuff, and that’s the way to build a team, but if you look at the best defensemen in the league, they’re not small puck movers. They’re bigger guys that you have some physical play, you have puck movers, you have smart guys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, in the 3rd & 7th rounds. His first pick is 6-3.

no i get it, and i like the guys he drafted, but i'd figure he'd take a couple more defensemen in the 6'2"-6'4" area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad