Legwand tops the SN Trade Tracker

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Ryan Spponer

Talent Analysis

Slick, fast and creative, Ryan Spooner is an offensive-minded, puck-possession player. Masterful at carrying the puck, making defenders miss with paralyzing one-on-one moves and then finding the open man. He’s the kind of player who makes his linemates better. Praised profusely by Boston’s head coach Claude Julien for his intelligence. But in junior has shown a tendency to hot dog and lose focus on his defensive assignments.

How well do you think that will go over with Trotz...Pass.

If we're still worrying over how Trotz will be thinking, there is going to be LOTS of other concerns than what player the preds get for Leggy.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Legwand does have a NTC so he is in the drivers seat on this one.

Technically the team still holds some cards here. With a NTC instead of a NMC they could always threaten to move Leggy to the minors if he doesn't agree to a trade, but this doesn't seem like a situation in which that particular tactic would be used by Poile.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Technically the team still holds some cards here. With a NTC instead of a NMC they could always threaten to move Leggy to the minors if he doesn't agree to a trade, but this doesn't seem like a situation in which that particular tactic would be used by Poile.
That's not going to work with Legwand, he would have to clear waviers to be moved to the minors, which won't happen.

Now a guys like Gastuad and Staalberg, MIGHT clear waivers because of their contract. Hard to say.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
We could get Gretzky, Messier and Kurri in their primes, and they'd all end up as 45 point players. Gretzky would miss half the season because he's getting banged up all the time; Messier would be leading the team in PIM's, and Kurri would have maybe five more goals than Stalberg.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We could get Gretzky, Messier and Kurri in their primes, and they'd all end up as 45 point players. Gretzky would miss half the season because he's getting banged up all the time; Messier would be leading the team in PIM's, and Kurri would have maybe five more goals than Stalberg.

Being here since 2004, I would have expected you to have remembered Paul Kariya's 85 and 76 point seasons. If Eric Nystrom can have five more goals than Stalberg, surely Kurri could do much, much better. There's plenty of criticism that can be reasonably leveled at Trotz without devolving to THAT level of absurdity.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
So Steve Sullivan scores 68 points in 67 games (a career high, BTW) and Gretzky scores 45 with us? Riiiight... More unfounded, exaggerated anti-trotz propaganda.

Can't coach talent if you don't have it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
TBH he couldn't coach it when he did have it. Those teams did what? First round exits.

I think his biggest problem is his mindset, he just stifles offensive creativity. Don't get me wrong, I don't want guys skating around all over the place just to turn it over, or making stupid passes trying to make a play, but burying a guy on the 4th line every time he screws up isn't the way to go about it either.

I often wonder if thats not part of the issue with some of the younger guys, they are so worried about screwing up and being benched or relegated to the 4th line that they do the safe things, dump and chase, slap shots from the blue line, etc.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
TBH he couldn't coach it when he did have it. Those teams did what? First round exits.
We have been favored to win a playoff series twice. Once vs SJ and once vs DET (2012). Both 4v5 seeds.

All that talent you speak of... JP Dumont- not qualified by Buffalo for 2 million. Arnott-- Dallas didn't offer him a contract. Sullivan-- was wavier wire material at one point in his career, subsequently traded for 2nds. Walker-- only got a job because of expansion.

We have never had the talent that true contenders have. Even in the "glory years" above... Trotz was coaching another team's leftovers into a pretty damn good team.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
We have been favored to win a playoff series twice. Once vs SJ and once vs DET (2012). Both 4v5 seeds.

You are missing two more: the other San Jose series, and Phoenix (technically a higher seed, but we had more points)

Trotz has had his share of playoff disappointments.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
You are missing two more: the other San Jose series, and Phoenix (technically a higher seed, but we had more points)

Trotz has had his share of playoff disappointments.
I thought we had were 5 seed vs SJ in one but you are right. However, it should be noted that Vokoun went down prior to that one.

And yes, Phoenix was seeded higher.

Anaheim was 4 seed vs our 5.

Minor disappointment at most in the playoffs. Major overachievement during the regular season as a whole.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
David Legwand is a lifelong Nashville Predator with 951 career games, might he move?

McKenzie: The Predators are shopping Legwand hard. The price is expected to be a first- or second-round pick but keep in mind he has a full no-move clause and he will decide whether or not he wants to be a rental or whether he wants to play out the string with Nashville.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442949

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I thought we had were 5 seed vs SJ in one but you are right. However, it should be noted that Vokoun went down prior to that one.

And yes, Phoenix was seeded higher.

Anaheim was 4 seed vs our 5.

Minor disappointment at most in the playoffs. Major overachievement during the regular season as a whole.

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but the bottom line is we've had little playoff success with Poile and Trotz running the show. Doesn't seem to make a difference if we're the favorite or not (1 out of 4 when we're the favorite, 1 out of 5 when we're not the favorite). Trotz's overachievement powers can't be be replicated in the playoffs, which is a problem.

Back to Legwand, I think shopping him is the right move. It may look like a playoff spot is in reach, but it's further away than it looks. If we're not in a playoff spot on the trade deadline, or within a point or two, we should sell.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think it is the right call to move David Legwand if you can get a first round pick. It will be interesting to see what we do at center if we do move Legwand though.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Poile has to decide on where he sees this team. If he thinks we can still compete, with Weber and Rinne in their prime and 2 more years of Jones on a cheap contract, then trading Legwand is the wrong move. If he sees us as rebuilding and doesn't want to re-sign Legwand, then yes by all means trade him, but realize that we're going to be set back for a few years and we'll waste a few years of prime Rinne and Weber. By that time, it may be too late. I have no faith in Poile to land us a better center through FA or trades. And no, none of our prospects down the middle are ready or can replace Legwand.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Poile has to decide on where he sees this team. If he thinks we can still compete, with Weber and Rinne in their prime and 2 more years of Jones on a cheap contract, then trading Legwand is the wrong move. If he sees us as rebuilding and doesn't want to re-sign Legwand, then yes by all means trade him, but realize that we're going to be set back for a few years and we'll waste a few years of prime Rinne and Weber. By that time, it may be too late. I have no faith in Poile to land us a better center through FA or trades. And no, none of our prospects down the middle are ready or can replace Legwand.
Does Wilson count? The team wants him at center.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site

I'm sure that will be in the PR that is released if we trade Legwand. An opportunity to step up to our young guys. I have my doubts as to the coaching staff giving Wilson that responsibility. And whether or not Wilson has any confidence left offensively.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Doesn't feel like there's alot of trust there. Smith is on the wing, FF is on the wing. Sooner or later this organization has to develop a center AS a center. Watson will soon be flipped to wing. :sarcasm:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Could you trust a Smith-Wilson-Forsberg line?

Also, what's the plan with Watson and Sissons? Are they C's or W?

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I think some big changes are headed for the Predators it has started simmering already with Hendricks and Klein. I can see several moves and a coaching change by next year.
If I was Poile i would want a very good prospect and a 2nd/3rd for Legwand more than being set on a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00