Legwand tops the SN Trade Tracker

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If he'll take a pay cut and stick around as the third line center, fine, but I don't see him as a long term top line player anymore. If they can move him for a first or a top prospect, great. The offense is getting younger. The team needs more talented youngsters to play with Forsberg.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think a lot depends on how we play between now and the deadline. if we can go on a tear and have a shot at the playoffs, he doesnt go anywhere.

If we are sellers at the deadline, I think he and Poile talk about what his role would be in coming years here, and if Leggy doesnt mind being a 3C(and paid as such) then he probably re-signs.. but if Leggy decides he wants a shot at a Cup this season and/or expects north of 4 million per on his new deal, then I think Poile trades him at the deadline, assuming he will waive his NTC

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I'm a big Leggy fan. I think that, as a whole, he's gone unappreciated by the fanbase. I'd like to see him retire a Pred. However, there have been too many games like last night, where he's a step slow, where his passes that have always been effortless now need a little more effort behind them, and he's simply not adjusting to that. He's still pretty effective, still pretty smart and responsible, but the Preds need a guy like this to be their 3rd line C, and I'm just not sure we can sign him and keep Fish and Cullen, too.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Id' rather trade Cullen and re-sign Legwand.

Im thinking the same thing. Cullen is playing on the 4th line. he does have 20 points but he's just not playing well. Leggy is 2 yrs younger and is are leading scorer. we need to get rid of Cullen. Im slowly appreciating Gaustads game but still think his cap is to high. But back on to the topic. Cullen is the odd man out

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Im thinking the same thing. Cullen is playing on the 4th line. he does have 20 points but he's just not playing well. Leggy is 2 yrs younger and is are leading scorer. we need to get rid of Cullen. Im slowly appreciating Gaustads game but still think his cap is to high. But back on to the topic. Cullen is the odd man out

Would have agreed with you until last 10 games or so. Cullen has played pretty well, but last couple games especially his productivity has been hamstrung a bit by his linemates; skating with Nystrom and Dicky last night, for example, he put a pass out front from behind the goal that most of our Fs woulda' buried (in the net, not the goalies chest) and Nystrom didn't even get a shot off cause hands aren't his thing.

That said, if I had my choice we'd sign Leggy to 3 years at $3mil and move Cullen (or Fish) but if it comes down to what "return" GMDP can get Leggy > Cullen.

kakemono

Dec 27, 2006
He doesn't get the ice time to put up big numbers.

Normalize his points to 20 minutes and he scored the same as Zetterberg and is a couple points behind Taylor Hall and Claude Giroux. He has more points than the Sedins, kopitar, or Eberle.

He is having a great year to get some good return.

Why are we so eager to trade him?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If Fisher retires after next season, I'm not sure who we have at center with Cullen and potentially Legs off the list. That's 3 centers right there.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If Fisher retires after next season, I'm not sure who we have at center with Cullen and potentially Legs off the list. That's 3 centers right there.

Well, you can always keep Spaling as the 3rd-line center. He's good in the faceoff dot and defensively responsible.

There's the possibility of moving Smith and/or Wilson back to center as well. And Watson waiting in the minors, although playing center in the AHL doesn't guarantee a center spot in the NHL.

And there's always free agency. But I think this team really could use a top-end center prospect. Watson doesn't project to be a top-3 forward unless I've missed an update somewhere along the line (which is certainly possible since I'm not in Milwaukee watching the kids play). A center prospect with the same talent level as Forsberg would go a long way toward making me feel better about the long-term competitiveness of the team, though.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Id' rather trade Cullen and re-sign Legwand.

Ditto. Legwand has been more productive than Cullen since the lost season in '05 and has a few years left at 33. As long as we're even close to the playoffs, I don't see us moving Legwand, but I could see us dealing Cullen in the summer to clear a spot for Watson if they think he's ready.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I personally want to see Legwand retire a Predator. He was our very first draft pick and has stuck with us for this long. I say we stick with him until he retires period.

lovemypreds

Dec 23, 2013
Nashville, TN
New poster

I'm new to HF and this is my first post here so I know my place.

I was reading the comments on the 303 link and it looks like Leggy has a No Trade clause in his contract. Is this true? Am I correct in thinking that we can't trade him unless he actually want to be traded? I don't seriously believe Leggy has any intention of going anywhere if he can help it, but I could be wrong.

If that's the case it changes everything. It means he gets resigned or walkes away as a free agent. If this is the case then I would rather resign him providing he doesn't ask for too much.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'm new to HF and this is my first post here so I know my place.

I was reading the comments on the 303 link and it looks like Leggy has a No Trade clause in his contract. Is this true? Am I correct in thinking that we can't trade him unless he actually want to be traded? I don't seriously believe Leggy has any intention of going anywhere if he can help it, but I could be wrong.

If that's the case it changes everything. It means he gets resigned or walkes away as a free agent. If this is the case then I would rather resign him providing he doesn't ask for too much.

Legwand does have a NTC so he is in the drivers seat on this one.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I think whether we trade Legwand or not has everything to do with how well we play over the next 10 games. If we're only a couple points out of a playoff spot, keep him for a late playoff push. If we're 6 or more points out, trade him and continue the rebuild.

There's no rule saying we couldn't re-sign him on July 1st if we want him back. If we lose him to free agency, it could end up being a blessing in disguise.

edit: Yes, obviously the NTC plays a big part. But I have a feeling Leggy will want a Cup run with a playoff team.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I personally want to see Legwand retire a Predator. He was our very first draft pick and has stuck with us for this long. I say we stick with him until he retires period.

Amen!!

Fisher is retiring in a year and Cullen is a dinosaur who's contract is up next year anyways. Trade them both but as it stands leggy is our best centre by far.

What an awful offseason last was,

Cullen - garbage and old

Stalberg - so many were optimistic, like poile I guess, but he has not done anything like I figured he wouldn't.

Nystrom - just stinks and makes average of 2.5 million for four years, that's ridiculous. Possibly worst offseason acquisition and that's saying a lot for a bunch of crap acquisitions that had essentially deflated the fanbase and team lately

Hendricks- stunk and already traded

Reason I rounded all this up, we better not mess up with this legwand situation, this could be very bad for us. Poile better manage assets to his best. Unless we land big time centre, legwand needs to stay, hell even if we do land the star centre finally, keep legwand still, as I said above, fisher done in next year and Cullen same.

Legwand is better than Cullen and fish both anyways.

Legwand needs to stay for so many reasons. We would never get his value back anyways.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If your Poile the conversation has to go like this considering how long he has been with the team.

DP: Do you want to go to a contender, are you happy here, or would you resign in the offseason if we traded you for a pick?

Depending on the answer to that question ( with some clarification so he knows he's not getting 4 mil a year) is how you make your move.

I would like to see him retire here simply because you don't see it that often anymore. That said I have never been one of his biggest fans so if they do trade him I'm not gonna be all tore up over it either.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
You have to think long term and what Legwand could bring you at the deadline for the future.

Legwand gathers points put I don't really see the Pred's being better or worse without him this year or in the future.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Legwand was quoted a while back as saying the team hasn't approached him yet for an extension. So either that is the writing on the wall in that we're looking to trade him if we're out of it, or we're going to wait until the offseason to see if a deal could be made.

Trading Legwand at the deadline could help our rebuild. However the team needs to look and see what they want to do in the coming years. We do not have any centers ready to step in the top two lines in the coming years. Watson will not be a top 6 center. Cullen will be traded before the year is over and Fisher is likely to retire after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad