Legwand tops the SN Trade Tracker

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
Legwand was quoted a while back as saying the team hasn't approached him yet for an extension. So either that is the writing on the wall in that we're looking to trade him if we're out of it, or we're going to wait until the offseason to see if a deal could be made.

Trading Legwand at the deadline could help our rebuild. However the team needs to look and see what they want to do in the coming years. We do not have any centers ready to step in the top two lines in the coming years. Watson will not be a top 6 center. Cullen will be traded before the year is over and Fisher is likely to retire after next season.

I agree the team needs to take a look at what they want to do in the coming years. I think Watson will be a 2nd or 3rd line center. Are you saying that Watson will never be a top 6 center or not for a little while? I think his upside would be a 2nd line center.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
If the team really wanted to keep Legwand they would have approached him last summer for an extension. They are on the fence with him which is why they haven't done anything yet. They signed Cullen in case they lost Legwand and they'd have another year to see if Watson is ready or get another center or move Wilson or Smith to center. Legwand is the only UFA asset they've got to sell. Fisher saying he may retire after next season also has to come into their decision.

If we are out of the playoff contention Legwand is getting traded. We need to get at least a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a center prospect. Leggy may walk in the summer anyways so you better get something from him.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
DP has always been proactive in re-signing players. Have to wonder where the roadblock is here Leggy or DP. But at this point you have to think a deadline move.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
DP has always been proactive in re-signing players. Have to wonder where the roadblock is here Leggy or DP. But at this point you have to think a deadline move.
DP is not always proactive in signing players. Like when Weber was named captained, publicly expressed interest in singing a long-term deal, and Poile said "call him old-fashion but he prefers to do meetings face to face" when referring to working out an extension with his agent.

And when Suter was soon to UFA, and DP told them media he was too busy to deal with Suter because he had been working on the Weber arbitration case.

Legwand already approached mgmt about an extension after he went on his streak. He was denied. Both Poile and Trotz have expressed disappointment in Legwand publicly since he signed his last contract. He's not the first-born golden child in their eyes. I doubt he's resigned unless it's a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal. I think they are ready to move on.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
I agree the team needs to take a look at what they want to do in the coming years. I think Watson will be a 2nd or 3rd line center. Are you saying that Watson will never be a top 6 center or not for a little while? I think his upside would be a 2nd line center.

He had pretty bad junior numbers. Watson looks like a hard-working third line center who can chip in goals. Lacks top 6 talent. Maybe can fill in with injuries.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Especially a "Predator-type player" like Legwand. If true that Legwand's camp has been seeking an extension, it would seem that they're either looking for much more than Poile wants to commit to, or else it was already determined he isn't in the plans going forward. Or Poile's dragging his feet. Who knows? :laugh:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Suter and Webers contracts were completely different. Even then DP tried to sign them before they went to FA and RFA. Suter as we know now wanted out. Weber??????? But as for Leggy If it were possible he would be signed now to an extension.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
per custance of ESPN and mynhltraderumors.com

Craig Custance of ESPN: The Predators haven’t asked David Legwand to waive his no-trade clause. If they are to look at trading him, the Ducks could make a pitch for him. Legwand may prefer to stay closer to home, so the Red Wings or Blackhawks could interest him if they are interested. The Blackhawks are looking for a 2nd line center, and he could be a good fit there. Custance thinks he could get the Predators a 1st round pick.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
per custance of ESPN and mynhltraderumors.com

Craig Custance of ESPN: The Predators haven’t asked David Legwand to waive his no-trade clause. If they are to look at trading him, the Ducks could make a pitch for him. Legwand may prefer to stay closer to home, so the Red Wings or Blackhawks could interest him if they are interested. The Blackhawks are looking for a 2nd line center, and he could be a good fit there. Custance thinks he could get the Predators a 1st round pick.
A first rounder in the 20-30 range? Meh...

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
yeah, but thats not that bad. that's better than trading him for a 2nd or 3rd or some **** prospect that we will only see for like 10 games over his career as a Pred.

or think of it as another pick we could throw in a trade package for something else.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What about something like this

Morin + Pirri for Legwand (Salary retained enough for Hawks to afford him)

Pirri and Morin can step right into Preds lineup

Sorta like the Florida deal the Hawks move a few prospects who simply will never get chance with Hawks

Last edited:

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

Sorta like the Florida deal the Hawks move a few prospects who simply will never get chance with Hawks

ya know, i was thinking about what custance said earlier. for me, if i was looking at it from a management stand point my order of business would be

1st choice) Legwand to DET for a 1st
-they are currently out of the playoff race so the 1st would be high teens or early 20's (not too bad of a draw), though it'll be close if they make it or not and they are in the east now, so no chance of seeing Leggy during the season. not a big deal but still.

2nd choice) Legwand to ANA for a 1st
-they are pacific

3rd choice) Legwand to CHI for a 1st
-rival and in the central.

otherwise, i was thinking Legwand to Chicago for Pirri + just didnt know what the + would be. Thinking about your offer above of Pirri + Morin, it's actually a good proposal. Pirri + 2nd wouldn't be too bad either.

It would just be difficult for me to see Leggy with the Hawks, division rival, long-time pred, i dk. just strange. but it's always about the return...

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009

I like Pirri, not as sure about Morin (lack of knowledge on my part). I like the idea of this kind of trade though.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
its about time Wilson goes. I've tried to stick with the kid forever now, but he's just disappointing more and more. if he didn't have that 4 point game his numbers would be 5g 14a i believe (off the top of my head) should be close though.

that's awful considering this kid was supposed to be our greatest offensive threat for so many years.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
its about time Wilson goes. I've tried to stick with the kid forever now, but he's just disappointing more and more. if he didn't have that 4 point game his numbers would be 5g 14a i believe (off the top of my head) should be close though.

that's awful considering this kid was supposed to be our greatest offensive threat for so many years.

I don't think playing with Hornqvist is good for his game. I wish Trotz would put him on a line with Smith and see what happens.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If the Preds are out of the playoffs then acknowledge it's a rebuild and do it properly. Trade Legwand to milk the trade-deadline drunk-fest and get something, a 1st and/or prospect package. If having him next season is still desired, then sign him in the off-season if possible, otherwise use the cap space to upgrade. Either way, get something now, and fill in the roster slot in the off-season.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Big fan of Morin. He, at one point, was one of the Thashers top prospects. Why hasn't he panned out?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

That's a hell of a deal. I'd do it.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Some hack from Bleacher Report suggested we flip Leggy to Boston for Ryan Spooner and a 2nd.

Ryan Spponer

Talent Analysis

Slick, fast and creative, Ryan Spooner is an offensive-minded, puck-possession player. Masterful at carrying the puck, making defenders miss with paralyzing one-on-one moves and then finding the open man. He’s the kind of player who makes his linemates better. Praised profusely by Boston’s head coach Claude Julien for his intelligence. But in junior has shown a tendency to hot dog and lose focus on his defensive assignments.

How well do you think that will go over with Trotz...Pass.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Ryan Spponer

Talent Analysis

Slick, fast and creative, Ryan Spooner is an offensive-minded, puck-possession player. Masterful at carrying the puck, making defenders miss with paralyzing one-on-one moves and then finding the open man. He’s the kind of player who makes his linemates better. Praised profusely by Boston’s head coach Claude Julien for his intelligence. But in junior has shown a tendency to hot dog and lose focus on his defensive assignments.

How well do you think that will go over with Trotz...Pass.

haha if trotz read that, he'd easily ask poile if he was crazy haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad