Player Discussion Lee Stempniak

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
to all the people who were like "well they needed to see him play to see where he fit"

no. they didn't. because they didn't need to sign him in the first place. I respect the guy for trying to prolong his NHL career but he wasn't a good fit from the get go.

Senyshyn is coming up on 4 years since his draft year & still hasn't played an NHL game. Even if he's not ready to be a full-timer yet, I'd have much rather used this 2 game "try out" on him than on a guy like Stempniak if for no other reason than to give Senyshyn a taste of the NHL & hopefully kick his development into another gear. I'm sure Heinen would tell you that 8 game stint he had before his rookie year helped him in his overall development. IMO it's time for Senyshyn to get an NHL look. It's also time for Leach to stop dicking around and playing prospects in the bottom 6 while 30 year old career AHLers get top 6 minutes, but that's another discussion entirely.
Yeah you would think after picking the guy way before anyone but the Bruins had him in the Draft that they would be anxious to have a look at the guy,has he been that bad in Providence.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Amazing the fire directed at this guy - who cost the team nothing, was called up for 15 min and didn’t even play poorly.

I don't think no one is directing fire at Stempniak its more at Sweeney and Company for making the decision of calling up Stempniak in favor of more deserving players down in providence and players who are hopefully going to be the future of the Boston Bruins down the road.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Yeah you would think after picking the guy way before anyone but the Bruins had him in the Draft that they would be anxious to have a look at the guy,has he been that bad in Providence.

I dont think that is it at all. This team is aiming for the cup, not trying to be competitive and develop for next year. That means going for home ice advantage in the first and third round. Have to put the best chance to win out there every night, not roll the dice and develop a prospect.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I don't think no one is directing fire at Stempniak its more at Sweeney and Company for making the decision of calling up Stempniak in favor of more deserving players down in providence and players who are hopefully going to be the future of the Boston Bruins down the road.
None of us, I repeat NONE OF US know if Stempniak was a worse choice for promotion than any other player. I hear Cassidy all the time state “if we need someone from Providence they will tell us who is playing well and deserves to be brought up”. They took a flyer on Stempniak, and opportunity popped up with an opportunity to give him a look, being on a nineteen game point streak, good management if you ask me, not when you are fighting for your playoff lives. Nothing ventured nothing gained now they know and he is back in Providence.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I notice you didn't say played well, but rather "didn't even play poorly". I'd argue that what we saw out of Kuhlman was better than what we saw out of Stempniak.

Do you think he has a spot on this team when one of Pasta, DeBrusk or Mojo come back?
Of course not - he’s an emergency call up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
just curious do you really believe that stempniak is playing anywhere in the same atmosphere as Nordstrom average game .

Nordstrom is literally nothing more than a JAG. His whopping 7 points in 57 game this year have made a huge contribution. Definitely deserving of the 14 minutes per night he's getting.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
None of us, I repeat NONE OF US know if Stempniak was a worse choice for promotion than any other player. I hear Cassidy all the time state “if we need someone from Providence they will tell us who is playing well and deserves to be brought up”. They took a flyer on Stempniak, and opportunity popped up with an opportunity to give him a look, being on a nineteen game point streak, good management if you ask me, not when you are fighting for your playoff lives. Nothing ventured nothing gained now they know and he is back in Providence.

Did you watch the last two games? Kuhlmann in his short stint alone showed way more than Stempniak.

Stempniak proved it himself, that their were better choices as he clearly proved he didn't belong. I actually call it bad asset management, before I would good management.

Fighting for your playoff lives against who? The Belliville Senators and no matter who they called up he was going to fill a depth role not a significant one that would cause them too lose their playoffs lives. So why not see what one of the kids can do? Instead of an ageing vet who hasn't played an NHL game all season and who's skating has never been his strength.

Stempniak who Sweeney had just signed on a pro-rated 650,00 dollar contract and had a measly 3 goals in 37 games a year ago and has only been skating during practices with the bruins and a few AHL games under his belt this year over Kuhlmann/Smith/Frederic/Fitzgerald Senyshyn/ or Hughes who all have been working their tails off all year to have a shot with the parent club. Is bad asset management!

Last edited:
Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
to all the people who were like "well they needed to see him play to see where he fit"

no. they didn't. because they didn't need to sign him in the first place. I respect the guy for trying to prolong his NHL career but he wasn't a good fit from the get go.

Senyshyn is coming up on 4 years since his draft year & still hasn't played an NHL game. Even if he's not ready to be a full-timer yet, I'd have much rather used this 2 game "try out" on him than on a guy like Stempniak if for no other reason than to give Senyshyn a taste of the NHL & hopefully kick his development into another gear. I'm sure Heinen would tell you that 8 game stint he had before his rookie year helped him in his overall development. IMO it's time for Senyshyn to get an NHL look. It's also time for Leach to stop dicking around and playing prospects in the bottom 6 while 30 year old career AHLers get top 6 minutes, but that's another discussion entirely.

Sweeney hasn't call up Senyshyn yet. Not even for a game.

I think that pretty much speaks volume.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney hasn't call up Senyshyn yet. Not even for a game.

I think that pretty much speaks volume.

He is playing on the 3rd line down at prov and lost from what Iam reading on the prov forum

His chance to be a nhl player doesnt look promising

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He is playing on the 3rd line down at prov and lost from what Iam reading on the prov forum

His chance to be a nhl player doesnt look promising
@BruinsNetwork has consistently said he's making steady positive progress in his game & is far from lost. He's probably the guy I trust most to give opinions on Providence players here.

A whole other conversation can & should be had about why they keep using him as a 3rd liner

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
@BruinsNetwork has consistently said he's making steady positive progress in his game & is far from lost. He's probably the guy I trust most to give opinions on Providence players here.

A whole other conversation can & should be had about why they keep using him as a 3rd liner

Guessing to strengthen up his defensive game

Plus if the other 6 guys ahead of him is playing better 2 way or "detail" hockey

You have seen how Cassidy favors Nordstrom even though he is scoreless now in like 20 games

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Did you watch the last two games? Kuhlmann in his short stint alone showed way more than Stempniak.

Stempniak proved it himself, that their were better choices as he clearly proved he didn't belong. I actually call it bad asset management, before I would good management.

Fighting for your playoff lives against who? The Belliville Senators and no matter who they called up he was going to fill a depth role not a significant one that would cause them too lose their playoffs lives. So why not see what one of the kids can do? Instead of an ageing vet who hasn't played an NHL game all season and who's skating has never been his strength.

Stempniak who Sweeney had just signed on a pro-rated 650,00 dollar contract and had a measly 3 goals in 37 games a year ago and has only been skating during practices with the bruins and a few AHL games under his belt this year over Kuhlmann/Smith/Frederic/Fitzgerald Senyshyn/ or Hughes who all have been working their tails off all year to have a shot with the parent club. Is bad asset management!
You need to read my post again, I never said they were “fighting for their playoff lives”. LMFAO at people who say give the kids a chance, well they have all year long. Certainly not a bad decision to bring Stempniak in and see what he had to offer at this level. Also don’t read into the fact he has been sent back down, he was an emergency recall therefore if DeBrusk is back tomorrow Stempniak had to go back to the Providence Bruins.

To me in two games, pretty small sample size, he showed as much as Smith, Fredrick or Kuhlmann, the others you mentioned have never had a sniff at the NHL level. They likely wanted to see, and show him, where he is at with his speed, timing and such. He is a vet that the team obviously believes, if needed, may be able to help.

Not concerned in the least about the choices management has made. If this team wasn’t number 2 overall in a league of 31, I may be, but certainly not at the moment. When they get DeBrusk, Johansson and Pasta back you won’t have to worry about Stemphnaik, they will be solid all the way through the lineup.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd imagine the coaching staff wanted to see if Stempniak had anything to contribute at this point.

I assume they found out what they needed to know.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Senyshyn is far from making positive progress.
Senyshyn also struggles with consistency, And his hockey IQ.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Senyshyn is far from making positive progress.
Senyshyn also struggles with consistency, And his hockley IQ.

The last thing he needs is a bad 5 game spell in Boston to put the nail in his coffin (if that hasn't already happened.)

I remember a couple years ago seeing him in the preseason and thinking 'oh shit that guy SUCKS' its a shame but sometimes you miss. I had thought he might be a Paille type good fourth liner but I don't see that happening. Acciari and Wagner both have hit 10 goals in that role which I think is hard to do don't see Senny doing that.

But honestly we would be looking at a Blackhawks tear down next year if we made the correct picks.

Next year call him up why not maybe he has a good offseason and can score in Prov next year.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Nordstrom is literally nothing more than a JAG. His whopping 7 points in 57 game this year have made a huge contribution. Definitely deserving of the 14 minutes per night he's getting.

Well I am sure stempniak would have more points than him if he played all the games so I guess in your eyes he is better. I take it you think Coyle is useless . Far more than points when rating a hockey player .

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well I am sure stempniak would have more points than him if he played all the games so I guess in your eyes he is better. I take it you think Coyle is useless . Far more than points when rating a hockey player .

Ugh. Okay, let's back this up. What does Nordstrom do that you like? Again, not about points. Just what does he do that makes him irreplaceable in your eyes?

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Ugh. Okay, let's back this up. What does Nordstrom do that you like? Again, not about points. Just what does he do that makes him irreplaceable in your eyes?
he skates hard? he needs to be out of the lineup.... on another note.. you bring up freddy for a couple games and let him play 3c.. and you put coyle with krejci.. you HAVE to see if that works. coyle has been a possession monster and i think that will work really well with krejci's playstyle..

Reactions: TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad