Player Discussion Lee Stempniak

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why? Because it costs nothing and provides veteran depth. Something that we might need come playoff time. We have 3 of our top 6 guys out right now, so yeah this is the type of scenario that brings in Stempniak. He is playing less than 8 minutes a night in his 2 games and provides a safe and reliable player that can step in. I have no issues with him getting a few reps in Boston to get his speed back up before the playoffs. He might be needed.

We aren't talking about #13 on the depth chart here. We are talking about someone who is likely behind Frederic, JFK on the depth chart. I don't mind him getting some reps to get his game speed up. It could prove valuable in the playoffs. Especially if we get hit with some injuries.

What good is "veteran depth" when that veteran is a liability on the ice because he can't keep up.

^%%&& Stempniak can't keep up to the pace of the regular season, what chance does he have keeping up in the playoffs?

He doesn't even have much of playoff history. He's only made the playoffs 4 times in his 13 prior seasons. Bruins were on their way to making the playoffs in 2016, then Stempniak arrived and down they went. This guy has never played for a good NHL team in his life.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
At least he gives Providence some good depth for a playoff run (assuming they make it). He's mediocre though and not an NHLer at this point. Bruins needed to see what he could bring since they signed him, but he obviously doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, anymore. I'd still rather have Kuhlman up at this point.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's awful. Plan or not, Senyshyn not being up here instead is very concerning.

I don't see how he could even practice with the team for seemingly months on end and yet Sweeney and Co. could still look at him and think there is still an NHL caliber player there. We can't even blame the pro scouts on this one this is clearly on management for giving this player an opportunity he quite frankly shouldn't be getting.

Reactions: since76

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how he could even practice with the team for seemingly months on end and yet Sweeney and Co. could still look at him and think there is still an NHL caliber player there. We can't even blame the pro scouts on this one this is clearly on management for giving this player an opportunity he quite frankly shouldn't be getting.

quite disturbing that management can look at this type of player and think that he can provide something to the Bruins. It takes about 2-3 shifts in an NHL game to know he is nowhere near ready to compete in this league.

Reactions: BruinDust

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Did not think Stempniak was going to be that awful. Too slow and was out of position numerous times. No threat at all. Time to send him down and bring up a Providence player. Might as well see what Senyshyn can do. We know he hasn't been great in Providence, but at least give him a chance. At least we would know if he is an option or a possible Black Ace.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
We have so many better options then slow washed up Stempniak, he is nothing but a major drag on whatever line you put him on.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't think he was particularly slow or bad either. :dunno:

Of course I'm curious about some of the kids in Providence but sadly more injuries will happen so we'll see them soon enough. I'd rather see them now, though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
quite disturbing that management can look at this type of player and think that he can provide something to the Bruins. It takes about 2-3 shifts in an NHL game to know he is nowhere near ready to compete in this league.

The whole Stempniak saga reeks of the same type of crappy player this organization brought in hand-over-fist back in the mid-90s and early 2000s.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I didn't think he was particularly slow or bad either. :dunno:

Of course I'm curious about some of the kids in Providence but sadly more injuries will happen so we'll see them soon enough. I'd rather see them now, though.

He was not horrible I agree, but not good either. He looks like a placeholder out there. I would prefer to be seeing Kuhlman in that spot- if nothing is going to get done in that roster slot, at least let it go towards helping a young player grow his game. Stemp is waste of space and money.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seriously though how big of a hockey loser is Lee Stempniak?

10 freakin' teams and you only make the playoffs 4 times in 13 attempts. Matter of fact, only ONCE in his entire NHL hockey career has Lee Stempniak made the playoffs for a team he started the season with (2011 with Arizona).

The other 3 times he actually made the playoffs he was a deadline rental.

He's played a grand total of 6 games outside of the 1st round.

Just brutal. What an awful resume of failure for such a "veteran" player.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Did not think Stempniak was going to be that awful. Too slow and was out of position numerous times. No threat at all. Time to send him down and bring up a Providence player. Might as well see what Senyshyn can do. We know he hasn't been great in Providence, but at least give him a chance. At least we would know if he is an option or a possible Black Ace.
Has Senyshyn play been that bad that he hasn’t warrented a look at with the Bruins,you would think with where they drafted him,when he wasn’t even picked to go till much later in the draft ,you would think the Bruins brass would want to show that they new what they were doing when they picked him.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He was not horrible I agree, but not good either. He looks like a placeholder out there. I would prefer to be seeing Kuhlman in that spot- if nothing is going to get done in that roster slot, at least let it go towards helping a young player grow his game. Stemp is waste of space and money.

I also want to see more Kuhlman. I've been impressed with his speed and tenacity. I hope we don't see Stempniak in the playoffs.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Seriously though how big of a hockey loser is Lee Stempniak?

10 freakin' teams and you only make the playoffs 4 times in 13 attempts. Matter of fact, only ONCE in his entire NHL hockey career has Lee Stempniak made the playoffs for a team he started the season with (2011 with Arizona).

The other 3 times he actually made the playoffs he was a deadline rental.

He's played a grand total of 6 games outside of the 1st round.

Just brutal. What an awful resume of failure for such a "veteran" player.

What did Lee do to you? :laugh:

Reactions: BruinDust

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It really is.

It's not like Providence has no talent. And they got guys who have a decent amount of NHL experience. I'm not sure their injury situation, but I'd recall every single one of these guys before looking at Suitcase.

Frederic
JFK
Senyshyn
Fitzgerald
Kuhlman
Hughes
G.Smith
Carey
Blidh
Szwarz

That list sucks. But I'd probably rather have everyone on it rather than Stempniak AND Backes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad