Confirmed with Link: Leddy re-signs, 2 Years $2.7M per

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
They are negotiating with other players

The NHLPA has the contract information the minute it is signed, if not before, and a few seconds later every other certified agent. Keeping it from the fans has no impact on other free agents.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The NHLPA has the contract information the minute it is signed, if not before, and a few seconds later every other certified agent. Keeping it from the fans has no impact on other free agents.

No, but if the Hawks feel they're close with Kruger, than they can announce both deals at the same time, with the terms, as well as the QOs for the rest of the RFAs.

I personally don't care for the waiting at this point. We know it's two-years, so the money won't be that large. Likely anywhere from 2.2-2.6M.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
If a team wasn't willing to offer sheet Subban, I doubt they'd touch Leddy.

OS risk is totally over-rated I think, but Leddy and PKS are different in kind of a perverse way. There was no way to get an OS that MTL wouldn't match - PKS was a core player and considered a future Norris trophy winner by MTL at the time (which he did win if fact, even if underserved.), so no one bothered. Leddy is that sweet spot where he might be worth so much more to the signing team than the Hawks that the Hawks might decide to take the compensation, or at least a have to match a much higher cap hit than they wanted. Unlikely, especially after the Bolland and Frolik moves, but maybe enough to scare Bowman a little after having been through the screw-job Wilson put on him in 2010.

But just speculating obviously - we'll see soon enough - but I hope I'm wrong.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I really really don't get the Leddy trashing.... by 22 he has put up a 37 point season, which I believe is as much as 4m4yr Bickell has put up.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I really really don't get the Leddy trashing.... by 22 he has put up a 37 point season, which I believe is as much as 4m4yr Bickell has put up.

because he's not great defensively (yet hopefully) and q sat him in scf

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
OS risk is totally over-rated I think, but Leddy and PKS are different in kind of a perverse way. There was no way to get an OS that MTL wouldn't match - PKS was a core player and considered a future Norris trophy winner by MTL at the time (which he did win if fact, even if underserved.), so no one bothered. Leddy is that sweet spot where he might be worth so much more to the signing team than the Hawks that the Hawks might decide to take the compensation, or at least a have to match a much higher cap hit than they wanted. Unlikely, especially after the Bolland and Frolik moves, but maybe enough to scare Bowman a little after having been through the screw-job Wilson put on him in 2010.

But just speculating obviously - we'll see soon enough - but I hope I'm wrong.

Until it happens. It's rare but it upsets the team's apple cart. It also tends to create ill feelings between GMs and teams. I doubt Stan sends Christmas cards out to Doug Wilson and family.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
The scare of a OS isn't so much of the decision to match or not, it's that you will likely overpay when you match, and the contract won't be in-line with your future cap plans.

Stan Bowman and the Hawks I'm sure have a detailed plan of their future cap and are trying to get Leddy signed into the contract that fits those future plans. If Stan lets Leddy get to the point where an OS comes in it's likely for more years than Stan wants to commit and/or more money throwing a wrench into the future plans - similar to Hjalmarsson's contract. It's not that Stan wouldn't match, but it just didn't fit exactly what Stan was trying to do for the 2010-11 team.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Nick Leddy ‏@ledpipe08 12m
Couldn't be more excited to be back with @NHLBlackhawks for two more years. Best fans in the league!! Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Trashing? I doubt there's a board on HF where the #6 defensemen gets glorified as much as Leddy does here.

Nothingman*

Trashing? I doubt there's a board on HF where the #6 defensemen gets glorified as much as Leddy does here.

I agree with the above. He is decent but by no means a second coming. Two more years to see if he makes any progress on the D side of things.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

That's becuase most #6 d-men are 35 years old on the downside of their career.

Many 22 year old d-men are still playing in the AHL. Keith was.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Good for him for getting paid.

I wonder how the contract is spread out - b/c the value of the second year will impact what they have to qualify him for when the contract expires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad