Confirmed with Link: Leddy for Panik (50% retained) and a 2nd

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Last night, I wasn’t keen on the notion of signing Greene for the sake of exposure. Even if the likelihood of him getting chosen is next to nil.

I can now see it being done if the Isles have already worked out with Seattle on who is getting selected.
They would be signing Greene anyway. Not just for exposure, but to actually play.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I remember the day we traded for both Leddy and Boychuck and it was perhaps Snow's finest moment as GM. Brought instant respectability to the team and revamped the defence. I've always liked Leddy but this deal was a great trade by Lou. Getting a 2nd and decent 4th line guy as well is good business.

I except to see Greene resigned in the morning and then maybe another trade as well to clear a bit more space.
Delete

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Change top 6 to top 9 and you’re probably right. He barely cracked our top 6 and we were not good.
I get the feeling Panik will either not be an Islander by the time training camp opens or end up our 13th forward in place of Leo Komarov.

Reactions: kliq

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's not about putting the team over the top, it's about getting an even swap in production but a better fit, at a cheaper price. I'm not advocating for Eberle to go, but it's not about Palmieri being an upgrade on Eberle, it's just about the cap space.

We've also seen enough of Eberle to know he's not a good playoff performer the later the rounds get. He can't hang when there is less space available.

Im never going to be the one to defend Eberle. That said he did outscore Palmieri in the playoffs.

All I’m saying is we can, and should, do better than both of them.

Reactions: joekono

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Palmieri can play up and down the lineup, is more of a shoot first guy, is physical, and drives to the net. Eberle can float around the perimeter and rack up points that way. They're going to give similar production but bring different skills. If Palmieri can be brought in to replace Eberle, but on a cheaper deal than the one Eberle is on, then it's a no brainer to bring him in (if a different upgrade isn't available).
This ^^^

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Panik could end up being a usable player. He has size, plays physical, not a bad skater. He has the tools to play the Trotz system, if he buys into it. If not, he's on the Port Jeff Ferry.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's not about putting the team over the top, it's about getting an even swap in production but a better fit, at a cheaper price. I'm not advocating for Eberle to go, but it's not about Palmieri being an upgrade on Eberle, it's just about the cap space.

We've also seen enough of Eberle to know he's not a good playoff performer the later the rounds get. He can't hang when there is less space available.
Eberle is a similar story as Matt Moulson, a player who got exposed in the playoffs as too one-dimensional. You don't continue on with a player like that, especially when salary concerns are holding the team back from making real talent upgrades.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it’s a realistic move closer, but definitely not a sure fire “over the top” move.

Palmieri is just a more traditional shoot first winger on a pass ad nauseam team. Better two-way and better fit moving down the lineup as HOPEFULLY Wahlstrom moves up the lineup.

But it all of course depends on the deal. But if they can get him at shorter term than Eberle (unlikely) or same term but lower hit (possible)… then it’s another win.

Assuming he gets 3 years (same as Eberle now) I’d rather Palmieri playing second or third line in year three than Eberle.
If Palmieri were a football player, you'd think of him as ground and pound. In our system and division/conference he is a better fit than Jordan Eberle and could come with a cheaper pricetag.

As @PKCronin alluded to in the past, with the Isles it's all about being built for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud and CupHolders

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Im never going to be the one to defend Eberle. That said he did outscore Palmieri in the playoffs.

It doesn't have to be a straight Eberle out-Palmieri in 1 for 1. The improvement on Eberle could come after more moves are made, either today or before the entry draft next week.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
They would be signing Greene anyway. Not just for exposure, but to actually play.

I fully understand that. I also like Greene and want him to return. I just think it’s bad form to be all…

“Hey Greenie do us a solid and sign now instead of later, so you fulfill our exposure requirements. But don’t worry there’s NO WAY they want you!”

I’d rather they sign him under the knowledge that assurance have already been offered by Seattle.

Besides I still think the Isles should do a simple CAP clearing deal with Seattle. One that doesn’t require the exorbitant rumored prices of course.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I feel that Palmieri struggling against Tampa is overstated. He was getting plenty of grade A chances against them. If you watch the highlights, you will see that Palmieri clearly led the Isles in robbed opportunities against the world’s best “padded” goalie.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I feel that Palmieri struggling against Tampa is overstated. He was getting plenty of grade A chances against them. If you watch the highlights, you will see that Palmieri clearly led the Isles in robbed opportunities against the world’s best “padded” goalie.

Palmieri had 7 goals in the playoffs - tied for the team lead and 6 of those 7 either gave the team the lead or tied the game- including OT winner.

I’ll take that over a couple more secondary assists during the playoffs.

Reactions: CupHolders and buud

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am surprised that people are actually looking at the numbers for Eberle vs Palmieri. For the system we employ and when it comes to actually winning the Cup? Palmieri is the better fit here and the better player in general.

Reactions: CupHolders and buud

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Am I the only one who was rather underwhelmed by Palmieri? Surely, he had a good stretch but also disappeared for long periods. His numbers are also declining so signing him to a multi year deal at lots of money is rather stupid. Tbe Isles have to learn how not to get caught in a cap squeeze again, and not overpaying fir UFAs is the first thing you do

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Am I the only one who was rather underwhelmed by Palmieri? Surely, he had a good stretch but also disappeared for long periods. His numbers are also declining so signing him to a multi year deal at lots of money is rather stupid. Tbe Isles have to learn how not to get caught in a cap squeeze again, and not overpaying fir UFAs is the first thing you do

See I disagree here. The Islanders need to win the Cup. Everyone kept saying how this offseason was going to be a cap squeeze and now we are talking about the possibility to add Tarasenko to this roster. We cannot tell the future but we do know there will be opportunities.

Reactions: PWJunior

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It really seams like people have different definitions of "disappeared" because Palmieri was still playing hard when he wasn't getting points. When a player "disappears" for me, it means they aren't noticeable in any way and they've deviated from their game. That never happened with Palmieri, he just stopped being as productive once Pageau was hurt.

Nobody is talking about signing Palmieri for more money or more term, it's about replacing what Eberle brings for less money and less or the same term.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I look more at last season as an aberration with a very bad Devils team and then being stuck on a third line (as well as getting accustomed to Trotz system and new group of guys, etc) before labeling it as a "decline". Dude averaged 30 goals a season (per 82) the FIVE seasons before that, including 25 in 65 in 2019-20.

His usage was way down in the regular season (even less on the Isles). A career low 16:34 overall and a very surprising (to me) 14:10 when he came on board with us.

That went up a little (15:35) in the postseason and now settled he scored 7 in 19 games (back on that 30 per 82 pace).

Decline seems premature at best...

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Good deal for Lou here. I liked Leddy and it might be tough to replace what he did, however there was a very good chance he was going to get selected by Seattle anyway.

So instead of potentially losing him and clearing $5.5 million in cap space for nothing, we cleared $4.125 million for a 13th forward and a 2nd rounder or cleared $5.25 million for a 2nd rounder if he winds up being buried in the minors. Not bad for someone we were likely to lose anyway and even if Seattle wasn't going to take him it certainly gives us more cap flexibility.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad