Confirmed with Link: Leddy for Panik (50% retained) and a 2nd

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Panik was a much greater offensive threat a few years ago. He’s well past his prime now. I would think they could have gotten someone more effective

He saw much more offensive opourtunities in Chicago and Arizona compared to Washington. He's maybe declining, but he's not way past his prime. He still has the skillset to be fairly productive in a top six role. Not that he's gonna get that chance with the Islanders, though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He saw much more offensive opourtunities in Chicago and Arizona compared to Washington. He's maybe declining, but he's not way past his prime. He still has the skillset to be fairly productive in a top six role. Not that he's gonna get that chance with the Islanders, though.

Change top 6 to top 9 and you’re probably right. He barely cracked our top 6 and we were not good.

Reactions: MJF

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I can't wait for the posts from all the people cheering this deal when they realize it just cleared salary for Cizikas.
Which is my biggest fear. Now is the right time to let Cizikas walk unless he is willing to sign for two years. or so. The most stupid thing is tying CC up to a 5-6 year deal even at a hometown discount. He is at his peak now (probably even past it) and it is much better asset management to let some other team regret the deal he'll be getting.

All this money should be going towards Pelech and Sorokin.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Change top 6 to top 9 and you’re probably right. He barely cracked our top 6 and we were not good.

I mean, yes, but he was playing a top 6 role and PP minutes with Chicago and Arizona. I'm simply stating he didn't have the same role with Washington. He's not going to have that role with the Islanders either, but I don't think he's way past his prime. The hands and legs are still there. He'd still be a threat to score 40-ish points, if he was put in a similar situation to the one he was in with Chicago and Arizona.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Which is my biggest fear. Now is the right time to let Cizikas walk unless he is willing to sign for two years. or so. The most stupid thing is tying CC up to a 5-6 year deal even at a hometown discount. He is at his peak now (probably even past it) and it is much better asset management to let some other team regret the deal he'll be getting.

All this money should be going towards Pelech and Sorokin.

I'm okay with cheap money at a long term for Cizikas. Part of it is the emotion that he should die a New York Islander. But part of it is because of his value. The worst thing you can say about Casey Cizikas is "what he doesn't do" and not what he does. He has a role, he plays it perfectly, we are better with him than without him.

If someone offers him $20 million for five years, then "God Bless you, Casey, we understand" and start working on his video montage.

This is an offseason of hard choices, and it's pretty much "free up the money for Cizikas or sign Zajac to much lower to slot in." And I'll judge which way we go based on the other guys, not Casey.

"We can't spend that much on a fourth line center" is an acceptable reason to not resign him. But if he'll re-sign with us for fourth line center money, then we should do it, because he's the best fourth line center anyone in a salary cap era could ever ask for.

If I'm Ledecky and Malkin, I would call him and say "I know you have to do what is best for you and your family. I just want you to know that after you retire, the job of 'Islanders Ambassador' exists, and is not subject to the salary cap, and I decide what EIGHT-FIGURE salary we pay that position. And I base that salary on tenure, loyalty, things of that nature. If there was someone, who played 14 to 16 years for the Islanders, took a team-friendly contract after he turned 30 and a half... well, I'd practically blank-check that guy to be my ambassador once his career was done."

Reactions: Seph

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Leddy bought back more then I expected. Nice job Lou.

Now let's pawn Ebs off on Seattle, without paying the rumored asking price of a 1st and 3rd.

Are you saying that reputable sources are quoting the cost to take on Eberle, a solid if unspectacular top-six RW, with three years remaining at a relatively fair AAV, is Eberle plus the Isles have to include a first and third rounder?

Because that is insane. Or did you mean that is the rumored cost to move Ladd's contract? Because that I could understand.

Reactions: buud and periferal

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I mean, yes, but he was playing a top 6 role and PP minutes with Chicago and Arizona. I'm simply stating he didn't have the same role with Washington. He's not going to have that role with the Islanders either, but I don't think he's way past his prime. The hands and legs are still there. He'd still be a threat to score 40-ish points, if he was put in a similar situation to the one he was in with Chicago and Arizona.

In the perfect role, sure. I see him as a top 9 though.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
In the perfect role, sure. I see him as a top 9 though.

So do I.

Again, I was simply replying a poster who said Panik is WAY past his prime. It's easy to think that if just looking at his point production. But to me, being past your prime or being on decline, suggests that a player is physically wearing down. That's why I'm saying his hands and legs are still pretty much the same as five years ago. His confidence level, however, is maybe not.

Reactions: kliq

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Panik could play on Pageau’s wing and allow Wahlstrom to play Top 6 minutes or is Wahlstrom not veteran enough for Trotz?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
With Leddy gone, the only 2 reasonable options for Seattle are Eberle and Bellows. Everyone else is a pointless pickup.
So I'm all for protecting Bellows, and forcing them to take Eberle.
If they threaten to take Koivula, I'd offer a second to take Eberle, but no more than that...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'm okay with cheap money at a long term for Cizikas. Part of it is the emotion that he should die a New York Islander. But part of it is because of his value. The worst thing you can say about Casey Cizikas is "what he doesn't do" and not what he does. He has a role, he plays it perfectly, we are better with him than without him.

If someone offers him $20 million for five years, then "God Bless you, Casey, we understand" and start working on his video montage.

This is an offseason of hard choices, and it's pretty much "free up the money for Cizikas or sign Zajac to much lower to slot in." And I'll judge which way we go based on the other guys, not Casey.

"We can't spend that much on a fourth line center" is an acceptable reason to not resign him. But if he'll re-sign with us for fourth line center money, then we should do it, because he's the best fourth line center anyone in a salary cap era could ever ask for.

If I'm Ledecky and Malkin, I would call him and say "I know you have to do what is best for you and your family. I just want you to know that after you retire, the job of 'Islanders Ambassador' exists, and is not subject to the salary cap, and I decide what EIGHT-FIGURE salary we pay that position. And I base that salary on tenure, loyalty, things of that nature. If there was someone, who played 14 to 16 years for the Islanders, took a team-friendly contract after he turned 30 and a half... well, I'd practically blank-check that guy to be my ambassador once his career was done."
I understand all of that but Cizikas will be a hot commodity this summer. I see no reason for him to sign at a discount when this is his one big chance at a big deal. Some team will offer him 5 years @ 4 million surely and that is too much.
Hockey is becoming a young man's game, and I have feeling CC will not age particularly well

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
You don't offer a second to get Seattle to take Eberle, not when that "should" be the cost of moving either of Komarov's or Hickey's expiring deal.

We now have 4 second round picks in the next two drafts and Kieffer Bellows to get rid of (2) of the following (that way it doesn't have to be a third straight year without a 1st rounder):

LW Andrew Ladd (5.5 cap hit for 2 years; $5 million cash owed)
LW Leo Komarov (3.0, 1 final year; $2 million cash owed)
LD Thomas Hickey (2.5, 1 final year)

P.S. I would literally give both our second rounders and Bellows tomorrow to the Kraken if they would take Ladd

Reactions: periferal

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I understand all of that but Cizikas will be a hot commodity this summer. I see no reason for him to sign at a discount when this is his one big chance at a big deal. Some team will offer him 5 years @ 4 million surely and that is too much.
Hockey is becoming a young man's game, and I have feeling CC will not age particularly well

5x4??

I don't see anyone even approaching that number. Casey SHOULD take it if he gets that kind of money

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
You don't offer a second to get Seattle to take Eberle, not when that "should" be the cost of moving either of Komarov's or Hickey's expiring deal.

We now have 4 second round picks in the next two drafts and Kieffer Bellows to get rid of (2) of the following (that way it doesn't have to be a third straight year without a 1st rounder):

P.S. I would literally give both our second rounders and Bellows tomorrow to the Kraken if they would take Ladd

Leo and Hickey can be buried in the minors.

If Ladd can't be put on LTIR, and if Lou could trade him in a package or something similar to what you mentioned, he will get his 3rd straight GM of the year award...

Reactions: JKP

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011

Cizikas will be offered a paycut because he is not worth the money he was making. If someone wants to offer him more, we have to walk away. I love the guy, but it's a no brainer...

Reactions: Throttle

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Leo and Hickey can be buried in the minors.

If Ladd can't be put on LTIR, and if Lou could trade him in a package or something similar to what you mentioned, he will get his 3rd straight GM of the year award...

Even burying both of them it is still a $3.25 million charge. I just soon the entire 5.5 million went away (with 2-3 assets) then attaching an asset to get rid of Eberle

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Even burying both of them it is still a $3.25 million charge. I just soon the entire 5.5 million went away (with 2-3 assets) then attaching an asset to get rid of Eberle
I get it, but Hickey and Leo only have 1yr left. Eberle has 3yrs...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I read somewhere that the Kraken would have to reimburse a team of any player they select who was paid out a signing bonus this past July 1st.

In this case, if they pick Ladd they would have to reimburse the Isles 3m cash. So Ladd would have to be traded to Seattle.

Just a technicality really.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not a fan of Panik, but it's a decently high draft pick and cap space, not to mention the expansion draft issues. Will have to see what other moves get made this summer before I have a real opinion on this one, though, as we now have a glaring hole on LD.

Panik could play on Pageau’s wing and allow Wahlstrom to play Top 6 minutes or is Wahlstrom not veteran enough for Trotz?
Wahlstrom has only 26 fewer NHL games and more pro games than Barzal did when Trotz chose to play him as the first line center.

Last edited:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
DETs 2nd should be high too.

Lets trade Varlamov next and get another pick and even more cap room. Then use that pick to trade Ladd/Komorov and open even more cap room.

Would give us enough room to bring back Cizikas, Palmieri and add Suter and a backup goalie.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
DETs 2nd should be high too.

Lets trade Varlamov next and get another pick and even more cap room. Then use that pick to trade Ladd/Komorov and open even more cap room.

Would give us enough room to bring back Cizikas, Palmieri and add Suter and a backup goalie.

Wrong! It would be Varlamov for a second and 1/2 retention on Greiss to be back-up.

In all seriousness, since it looks like it could now be avoided, I would prefer they hold off on dealing Varlamov until next offseason at the earliest.

Reactions: joekono

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad