Confirmed with Link: Leddy for Panik (50% retained) and a 2nd

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Im never going to be the one to defend Eberle. That said he did outscore Palmieri in the playoffs.

All I’m saying is we can, and should, do better than both of them.
Agreed. I just think if Eberle and Bailey are your top 2 RW- You are only going so far. I am not a Bailey hater by no means as we know what he brings and can play anywhere. Bottom line both players and their price tag.......Isles should look for an upgrade and expose at least one, possibly both.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
This one's pretty simple for me....

You don't leave your 4th leading scorer on the team exposed in an expansion draft unless you have a replacement for him first.

I know you mentioned Palmieri as a replacement, but I actually think Eberle is better (he outscored Palmieri in both the regular season and playoffs).

Personally I want no part of Palmieri. If we're going to get rid of Eberle I'd like it to be for a real improvement - Not a sideways move at best.

When it comes down to it Wahlstrom really should be on the top line and as was mentioned Palmieri's game gives you more options to move up and down the line up than Eberle's, In addition you have to take into consideration what they produced with who. Eberle played primarily with Barzal, something Palmieri did very little of. Palmieri was on a crappy Devils team and did take awhile to get going, but produced very well with Pageau, before Pageau got hurt. Even though he stopped producing, Palmieri was still a solid player for once, but you really can't compare production on a line with Barzal to a line with an injured Pageau even taking into consideration the anchor that is Uncle Leo.

FWIW, this really isn't a shot against Eberle, but just don't think it is a fair to compare production when one played with Barzal and the other rarely did.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
If ever there was a time for this question I think it is now, since NOTHING would help our cap hell more than to rid ourselves finally of Andrew Ladd's contract.

Two years left at 5.5 million towards the cap (or 8.8 million if buried) and only owed $5 million in cash.

What would Seattle want in a trade and for what player being left unprotected? My guess is they would want to select Bellows.

So what of these "assets" would you part with <on top of him> to get them to take Ladd off our cap (which would all but eliminate our cap problems):

1. 2022 1st round pick*
2. 2023 1st round pick*
3. D Robin Salo*
4. LW Kieffer Bellows (proposed selection)
5. 2021 2nd round pick #52 (DET through EDM)
6. 2021 2nd round pick #60 (COL)
7. D Samuel Bolduc
8. D Bo Wilde
9. 2022 2nd round pick (NYI)
10. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
11. RW Simon Holmstrom
12. LW Otto Koivula
13. D Sebastian Aho

Personally, I would let them have Bellows and any combination of two choices between 5-13 (although I would rather not lose both 7 and 8)

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
I feel that Palmieri struggling against Tampa is overstated. He was getting plenty of grade A chances against them. If you watch the highlights, you will see that Palmieri clearly led the Isles in robbed opportunities against the world’s best “padded” goalie.
Been saying this for years now and the NHL does nothing about it. Trotz should hire a suit tailor armed simply with a mesuring tape and right before the game, measure Vassy's pads. Vasy's gonna make a great father, should be due soon:laugh:. I posted this before but this pic is ridiculous, same size but Vasy is 5 lbs more:
main_resized_730x380_60e852bbc4c80_364099.jpg

Reactions: danteipp

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If ever there was a time for this question I think it is now, since NOTHING would help our cap hell more than to rid ourselves finally of Andrew Ladd's contract.

Two years left at 5.5 million towards the cap (or 8.8 million if buried) and only owed $5 million in cash.

What would Seattle want in a trade and for what player being left unprotected? My guess is they would want to select Bellows.

So what of these "assets" would you part with <on top of him> to get them to take Ladd off our cap (which would all but eliminate our cap problems):

1. 2022 1st round pick*
2. 2023 1st round pick*
3. D Robin Salo*
4. LW Kieffer Bellows (proposed selection)
5. 2021 2nd round pick #52 (DET through EDM)
6. 2021 2nd round pick #60 (COL)
7. D Samuel Bolduc
8. D Bo Wilde
9. 2022 2nd round pick (NYI)
10. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
11. RW Simon Holmstrom
12. LW Otto Koivula
13. D Sebastian Aho

Personally, I would let them have Bellows and any combination of two choices between 5-13 (although I would rather not lose both 7 and 8)

Seems a little pricey.

We shouldn't forget that Seattle is likely in discussions with basically every team in the league.

You're just not going to be able to maintain an overview of everything being offered and discussed.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This one's pretty simple for me....

You don't leave your 4th leading scorer on the team exposed in an expansion draft unless you have a replacement for him first.

I know you mentioned Palmieri as a replacement, but I actually think Eberle is better (he outscored Palmieri in both the regular season and playoffs).

Personally I want no part of Palmieri. If we're going to get rid of Eberle I'd like it to be for a real improvement - Not a sideways move at best.

I hear you, to me Eberle is an extremely streaky player who is only contributing when scoring. I still have nightmares about when Eberle was badly misfiring in that Philly series last year.

I would definitely prefer a ckear, significant improvement but, I would take Palmieri for four years at $4.25 million AAV over Eberle at three years and a $5.5 million AAV.

Palmieri contributes physically, even when not scoring.

Then the cap savings can be used elsewhere, towards say a Suter or other valuable player.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I hear you, to me Eberle is an extremely streaky player who is only contributing when scoring. I still have nightmares about when Eberle was badly misfiring in that Philly series last year.

I would definitely prefer a ckear, significant improvement but, I would take Palmieri for four years at $4.25 million AAV over Eberle at three years and a $5.5 million AAV.

Then the cap savings can be used elsewhere, towards say a Suter or other valuable player.

Bingo. Unless you're a consistent 30/30 guy, you have to contribute something else when you're not scoring (great forechecking, defensive play, a hit, something).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
IDK if anyone mentioned this, but DET is probably a pretty good destination for Leddy all things considered. It's relatively close to home for him, it's probably an organization on the upswing with Stevie Y, and he should get plenty of minutes in the year he'll be playing for his last contract. So maybe Lou did him a solid.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's about as good as Lou can do, but no way was Ladd going out the door for just a 2nd (much less with Hickey).

Definitely!

This is a fantastic move - and we don't even know what we "get" as part of it.

Could it be the Dman we need to expose?

EDIT:
Nope, it's just officially "No return".

Cap space is the gain.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou has killed it this offseason! Like to thank Leddy for his contributions to the team, but there are better options that his salary could have been allocated to.

Reactions: Olliemets

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

The thing with Eberle that has been identified as the Isles have gone deeper into the playoffs, is when the game gets tighter and the opponent has more depth, he struggles to contribute.
So, for PIT and BOS those teams lacked the depth and lots of times the matchup favored the Isles. He was able to take advantage of those teams own breakdowns. However, TB doesn’t play that way. So, the Isles either have to play a different opponent or Eberle needs to find a way to contribute in those situations.

I’m all in favor of Eberle sticking around, if there’s no other way to improve, but it seems like Lou sees what’s missing in the postseason with him and maybe wants to make a change there, if he can. Hopefully, he does and may be a regular season sacrifice for those stat lovers. This is all about shaping this team to get over the hump, not the regular season stats.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One thing that may be overlooked in this deal is a salary retained Panik, I can see him being an agitating 3rd line winger for the Isles if he is not picked up in the draft. He fits the Isles style of play, he plays heavy, get the puck into the corner, he is hard to knock off the puck.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
One thing that may be overlooked in this deal is a salary retained Panik, I can see him being an agitating 3rd line winger for the Isles if he is not picked up in the draft. He fits the Isles style of play, he plays heavy, get the puck into the corner, he is hard to knock off the puck.
Panik will be a fine backup player in case of injuries, at least better than Czarnik.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad