News Article: Lebreton talks in mediation to salvage deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If the Ruddy lawsuit does not have merit, what other leverage does Ruddy have, assuming Melnyk is fielding other offers?

ie: why would Melnyk enter into mediation if he had all the leverage?

The only other thing I can think of is that Melnyk is afraid of what Devcore can do if the deadline passes. Which could shift the leverage back to Ruddy, depending on whether he is really willing to walk away from Lebreton.

Basically what I am saying is, I think it's the threat of losing out on 800 mil in profits that is creating a sense of urgency, not the lawsuits.

Once the deadline passes it's over, no leverage will be shifted anywhere. And in preparing a defense for a lawsuit they decided this was the way to go. No matter how much you hate EM this must give you some hint they are worried about it.

Contrary to what the negative Nancy's say the better deal Melnyk gets the more money the team spends. They made money in the playoffs and instantly targeted Duchene, I know the wheels fell off but they did try. Also if he gets all his ducks lined up he just might sell.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
it doesn't benefit either side for it to go back to tender

given Melnyk won't proceed and Ruddy was prepared to, if the mediation is successful then the terms will shift in Melnyk's favour. As someone that wants to see this deal get done I hope they can work this out

I don't think it fell apart solely based on Melnyk's inability to finance his end. I think that if the initial deal was a solid one that the nhl would have supported melnyk in arranging financing if that was the only hold up.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Why would the Ruddy/Bird team do that?

Because Ruddy's lawsuit suggests that was was all a big ploy by Melnyk to pay for nothing. If he makes actual attempts to salvage the deal, and bring a mediator to have a neutral point of view, it will only add to his case when Melnyk balks at anything the mediator says.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Once the deadline passes it's over, no leverage will be shifted anywhere. And in preparing a defense for a lawsuit they decided this was the way to go. No matter how much you hate EM this must give you some hint they are worried about it.

Contrary to what the negative Nancy's say the better deal Melnyk gets the more money the team spends. They made money in the playoffs and instantly targeted Duchene, I know the wheels fell off but they did try. Also if he gets all his ducks lined up he just might sell.

No, it doesn't. The only thing this is hinting at is that Ruddy and Melnyk value securing the Lebreton deal over their respective lawsuits. You can't possibly deduce the strength of either side's lawsuit based on the simple fact they have entered into mediation in an attempt to secure rights to a once in a lifetime $4 billion development deal.

Reactions: Cosmix and pzeeman

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Adding about a million bucks after all the ins and outs of that trade should not be touted as some reason for fans to believe we were going for it. If anything, the money scrimping continued in that deal and we actually lost yet another draft pick because of having Hammond included. That was as much of a #1 C upgrade as it was to kick the financial commitment can down the road one more year instead of just signing Turris.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, it doesn't. The only thing this is hinting at is that Ruddy and Melnyk value securing the Lebreton deal over their respective lawsuits. You can't possibly deduce the strength of either side's lawsuit based on the simple fact they have entered into mediation in an attempt to secure rights to a once in a lifetime $4 billion development deal.

Not only that, but the mutually agreed to arbitration mediation. If one felt their lawsuit was rock solid, they wouldn't agree to mediation unless the deal going through is favourable, but if that's the case, they'd agree to mediation regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Variable26

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Adding about a million bucks after all the ins and outs of that trade should not be touted as some reason for fans to believe we were going for it. If anything, the money scrimping continued in that deal and we actually lost yet another draft pick because of having Hammond included. That was as much of a #1 C upgrade as it was to kick the financial commitment can down the road one more year instead of just signing Turris.

They had a plan to be competitive and resign him, get over it thing happen.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

More money went out than came in on the Duchene trade...They also never replaced Mac, Methot and traded Phaneuf for an LTIR contract shortly after. This also happened in November so I guess your definition of instantly is different than most. Your definition of spending is also what most would call shedding.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

More money went out than came in on the Duchene trade...They also never replaced Mac, Methot and traded Phaneuf for an LTIR contract shortly after. This also happened in November so I guess your definition of instantly is different than most. Your definition of spending is also what most would call shedding.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

What do you mean? "It's over."

The only thing I can see changing after the deadline is that Devcore can make things complicated...but Melnyk still owns the team and IMO the project will still proceed with the team, whether owned by him or not. So this is only bad for Ruddy...which is why I could understand if he has the most urgency to try to get something done now. Maybe the lawsuit plays into it. Maybe he is totally at fault in the lawsuit. My opinion is that at this point the lawsuits, while not nothing, are not nearly as important as being part of the project.

I agree that it could be a positive. But honestly, any development could be a positive depending on where everything ends up. There are multiple routes to several different positive outcomes. But yes, would love if this actually leads to the team being primed for a sale:)

Depends on what "better deal" means. For example: If the only deal that works financially is to keep playing at the CTC for ten years while they try to sell condo's then it might be the best deal for Melnyk, but not as good as a deal with a new owner that was more creative in their project/financing in a way that got the arena built right away, and the same amount of new arena rev onto the ice a lot sooner.

But yes. If Melnyk can get a deal that funnels as much new rev onto the ice as would a deal with any other owner, and gets the arena built as quickly as some other owner would, and the deal also works for the city reasonably well compared to other project plans...then sure, I would not really have any issues with the plan moving forward though I would still hold reservations about EM being able to maximize revenues out of this market. That being said, I will admit that actually pulling the aforementioned off would go a long way towards rebuilding my trust in his ability to successfully operate a the team in this market.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I have based the strength off what I have read, it's not my fault your guys blind hatred wont let you see the shifty business Ruddy tried to pull. Melnyk didn't throw a lawsuit out there for fun, he has a real case.
Anyway if Melnyk is soooo broke and Ruddy knows it, there is zero chance he can or would agree to any deal so that shows how strong Ruddy's case is seeing how that it what it's based on.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Yes once no playoffs were comming money got sent packing. Put the facts together and stop trying to spin everything.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
it doesn't benefit either side for it to go back to tender

given Melnyk won't proceed and Ruddy was prepared to, if the mediation is successful then the terms will shift in Melnyk's favour. As someone that wants to see this deal get done I hope they can work this out

I don't think it fell apart solely based on Melnyk's inability to finance his end. I think that if the initial deal was a solid one that the nhl would have supported melnyk in arranging financing if that was the only hold up.

I keep repeating it but it would be great to just have the number would it. I mean, the gap between he two sides. Is it 50 mil? Is it 150 mil? Is it 5 mil?

What amount do billionaires draw lines in the sand over? lol Billionaire problems.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I keep repeating it but it would be great to just have the number would it. I mean, the gap between he two sides. Is it 50 mil? Is it 150 mil? Is it 5 mil?

What amount do billionaires draw lines in the sand over? lol Billionaire problems.

ya there just isn't enough info available to truly understand the deal. it just recently became clear melnyk wasn't even going to own the rink.

what seems clear to me is I don't think Devcore has any hand at all to force the NCC's hand.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have based the strength off what I have read, it's not my fault your guys blind hatred wont let you see the shifty business Ruddy tried to pull. Melnyk didn't throw a lawsuit out there for fun, he has a real case.
Anyway if Melnyk is soooo broke and Ruddy knows it, there is zero chance he can or would agree to any deal so that shows how strong Ruddy's case is seeing how that it what it's based on.

Lol. Please don't generalize me. I don't have 'blind hatred' for anyone, and I didn't make mention of Melnyk's finances, or lack there of, anywhere in my post. I also reserve a lot of judgement for all of these things until I know more details, because well, that's the logical thing to do. Where as you are instantly jumping to conclusions such as 'Ruddy must be scared of Melnyk's lawsuit, why else would he go to mediation with him'.

[MOD]

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
[MOD QDP]

Nobody is going to pat them on the back for a comically lopsided trade for 1 year of Duchene and a rental trade return at the deadline. The assessment of that trade not being a complete disaster has always hinged on him being re-signed.

Either way, your comment was that it was proof of them willing to spend when that's just flat out not true, especially as it stands now without any extension in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Another idea:

Could both Melnyk and Ruddy have looked at the situation and come to the conclusion that Devcore has a case for getting the chance to negotiate with the NcC immediately? That would mean the bidding process would not start over, which, if it had started from scratch, would have potentially allowed Melnyk and Ruddy to rebid with different partners, no?

Perhaps they realized that this is their only chance to get LeBreton and the revenues associated with it.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
All I want for this project is it to just somehow go straight to negotiating a deal with Devcore. Hey, a man can dream can’t he

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
[MOD QDP]

Nobody is going to pat them on the back for a comically lopsided trade for 1 year of Duchene and a rental trade return at the deadline. The assessment of that trade not being a complete disaster has always hinged on him being re-signed.

Either way, your comment was that it was proof of them willing to spend when that's just flat out not true, especially as it stands now without any extension in place.

What place were they in when the deal was made? It was not comical at the time. And like I staded the plan was to stay in the playoffs and keep Duchene. Personal problems in a locker room turned things upside-down not the owner, not the GM.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol. Please don't generalize me. I don't have 'blind hatred' for anyone, and I didn't make mention of Melnyk's finances, or lack there of, anywhere in my post. I also reserve a lot of judgement for all of these things until I know more details, because well, that's the logical thing to do. Where as you are instantly jumping to conclusions such as 'Ruddy must be scared of Melnyk's lawsuit, why else would he go to mediation with him'.

[MOD]

Sorry good sir, I avoid reading or knowing the names of the posters to avoid personal feelings in my posts,
But as I stated and asked, Ruddy's case is all about Melnyk not having money or being able to pay for anything. How can he justify going ahead with him as a partner if he thought these things to be true?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry good sir, I avoid reading or knowing the names of the posters to avoid personal feelings in my posts,
But as I stated and asked, Ruddy's case is all about Melnyk not having money or being able to pay for anything. How can he justify going ahead with him as a partner if he thought these things to be true?

By changing the parameters of the partnership so that Ruddy accepts more of the financial commitment in return for a greater share of the future profits? That was pretty easy.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
By changing the parameters of the partnership so that Ruddy accepts more of the financial commitment in return for a greater share of the future profits? That was pretty easy.

He was already offered the entire project.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

You may not be wrong. But what other option does ruddy have other than walk away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad