News Article: Lebreton talks in mediation to salvage deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm guessing they realized during the lawsuit defense preparations that Melnyk's claim had more merit than most people (including myself) thought.
ya that's my take too....but I didn't want to throw it out there

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You left out the $1 lease part....wonder why?

This is absolutely horrible news for the Sens and city of Ottawa. This would allow Eugene to continue for a couple more years and increase the value of his franchise which right now is at an all time low. The Devcore plan with or without the team was superior in almost every way, it was a place that would draw tourists, arts and somewhere people want to go. RendezVous is building condos and a rink, it's disgusting really

The $1 lease part, was the "opening offer" in EM ham handed way of negotiations, and doubt this will be accepted should there be an agreeable path forward, through mediation.

Getting an Arena built, at Lebreton Flats, and having the Senators playing there ASAP, is the best thing that could happen for Senator fans, and the City of Ottawa........ not for EM haters though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My opposite hot take is reaching out and offering medication shows you have been trying in good faith to get this done all along. As opposed to... you know who.

Melnyk was over the moon with the liver prescription, and who knew that was what it took to get the ball rolling!

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
The $1 lease part, was the "opening offer" in EM ham handed way of negotiations, and doubt this will be accepted should there be an agreeable path forward, through mediation.

Getting an Arena built, at Lebreton Flats, and having the Senators playing there ASAP, is the best thing that could happen for Senator fans, and the City of Ottawa........ not for EM haters though.

A lot of hidden ifs in that statement.

IF the arena gets built
IF this means it gets built sooner than every other scenario
IF the project provides more to Ottawa long-term than the other projects

It's quite obvious that the profits from this project are barely enough (and maybe not enough) to cover the arena, and leave enough of a return that if the project goes a bit sideways, there will still be a return.

Regardless of where the chips fall with these parties, I honestly don't see anyone being in a hurry to start building the arena because of the condo risk, because the simple way to mitigate the risk is to simply wait until most of the condo's are sold before building the arena. Agreed?

Therefore, I agree a quick, properly designed project would be best for everyone just because it would allow the city and team to move forward. But we don't know if that's actually what is going to come out of this. It could be that a new owner with deeper pockets and a different plan might be able to justify building the arena sooner, even if it takes a little longer to sign the deal.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
All of Eugene Melynk's fans will be thrilled, though.

There are no EM fans here, or pretty much anywhere in Ottawa.

This is great news, for Senator fans, the team, the players, the franchise.

The owners come and go, but the team has stayed, and will be still here when the next owner(s) own the franchise.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All of Eugene Melynk's fans will be thrilled, though.
It's as if we're supposed to believe that a new arena will somehow stop this organization from being run in to the ground.

Will they clean house and increase the budget enough to finally hire some competent people? I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: topshelf15

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
It's as if we're supposed to believe that a new arena will somehow stop this organization from being run in to the ground.

Will they clean house and increase the budget enough to finally hire some competent people? I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah, the only way this can be positive is if Melnyk is somehow bought out in the process.

With Melnyk running things, the team will continue to be a joke and will never be competitive as he just doesn’t have any money.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

No.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah, the only way this can be positive is if Melnyk is somehow bought out in the process.

With Melnyk running things, the team will continue to be a joke and will never be competitive as he just doesn’t have any money.
Yup. Dorion has been as much of the problem as Melnyk and as long as he's making the decisions, this thing is not turning around, nor do I have faith in Melnyk to replace him adequately.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
ya that's my take too....but I didn't want to throw it out there

If the Ruddy lawsuit does not have merit, what other leverage does Ruddy have, assuming Melnyk is fielding other offers?

ie: why would Melnyk enter into mediation if he had all the leverage?

The only other thing I can think of is that Melnyk is afraid of what Devcore can do if the deadline passes. Which could shift the leverage back to Ruddy, depending on whether he is really willing to walk away from Lebreton.

Basically what I am saying is, I think it's the threat of losing out on 800 mil in profits that is creating a sense of urgency, not the lawsuits.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
There are no EM fans here, or pretty much anywhere in Ottawa.

This is great news, for Senator fans, the team, the players, the franchise.

The owners come and go, but the team has stayed, and will be still here when the next owner(s) own the franchise.

That was the joke. Several times you referred to the "EM haters" as if there are actually two sides to Eugene Melnyk's popularity in this city, or anywhere across the league.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is just not normal.

How could these parties only realize the importance at this stage?!

Anyways, I hope for a successful outcome but ultimately one variable needs to be removed from the equation imho

Everything is always last minute because that is how you extract the most concessions out of the other party.

It's a brutal way to do things but it's how the game is played.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If the Ruddy lawsuit does not have merit, what other leverage does Ruddy have, assuming Melnyk is fielding other offers?

ie: why would Melnyk enter into mediation if he had all the leverage?

The only other thing I can think of is that Melnyk is afraid of what Devcore can do if the deadline passes. Which could shift the leverage back to Ruddy, depending on whether he is really willing to walk away from Lebreton.

Basically what I am saying is, I think it's the threat of losing out on 800 mil in profits that is creating a sense of urgency, not the lawsuits.

I think Melnyk AND Ruddy can hear the "footsteps" from Devcore and are giving this one last kick at the can. Doesn't benefit either one of them to see this thing become an open competition again. I don't have high hopes that EM can play nice with anyone, but at least the potential of losing this deal got both sides back to the table.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I think Melnyk AND Ruddy can hear the "footsteps" from Devcore and are giving this one last kick at the can. Doesn't benefit either one of them to see this thing become an open competition again. I don't have high hopes that EM can play nice with anyone, but at least the potential of losing this deal got both sides back to the table.

Oh, for sure I can see Ruddy's incentive. But I also agree with you that I don't see Melnyk agreeing to anything that isn't totally in his favor, only because I believe he is the type to always think there is a better deal. Which there very well may be...but I think it tanks any deal at this point with Ruddy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm guessing they realized during the lawsuit defense preparations that Melnyk's claim had more merit than most people (including myself) thought.

Lawsuits take a long time and are a massive drain on ressources. Both parties should want to avoid litigation, no good will come of it.

I'm not sure that mediation being on the table means one party feels their position is weaker than they initially thought. On the cynical side, it's easier to make the case that you made an honest effort by going through mediation; refusing it makes you look real bad.

Reactions: Cosmix and Samboni

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Even for those who want to see Melnyk leave, this is a good thing.

If the arena gets built at Lebreton with a sweetheart deal, that helps the value of the franchise which means Melnyk might get an offer he's willing to consider.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They’ve gone to mediation to force the NCC to reconsider and not cancel their bid and go to Devcore. They’ll announce they are making progress but need more time and will ask for an extension to delay - common legal strategy until they can allow the NHL to work something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad