News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Except that it is, at the right dose

Of plants, if you start pumping CO2 at high enough concentrations into the maternity ward at the Ottawa hospital, see how long it takes for you to get arrested

what is your logic here? plants and newborn babies are not the same thing. Plants breath CO2, newborn babies breath Oxygen….

You know, as does everyone, concentrations of CO2 required to poison. Someone does NOT occur naturally in the atmosphere, and therefore no deaths of humans have occurred as a result of high CO2 levels in the atmosphere….. and there have been times in the past, that the CO2 count in the atmosphere have been much higher than they are today.

bottom line, the poster I replied to, implied CO2 was a poisonous gas, and for some reason you seem to feel obligated to respond on his behalf, and he has yet to respond.

1690284127971.png

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
what is your logic here? plants and newborn babies are not the same thing. Plants breath CO2, newborn babies breath Oxygen….

You know, as does everyone, concentrations of CO2 required to poison. Someone does NOT occur naturally in the atmosphere, and therefore no deaths of humans have occurred as a result of high CO2 levels in the atmosphere….. and there have been times in the past, that the CO2 count in the atmosphere have been much higher than they are today.

bottom line, the poster I replied to, implied CO2 was a poisonous gas, and for some reason you seem to feel obligated to respond on his behalf, and he has yet to respond.

View attachment 731004
Just correcting your inaccuracies, seems you've come around and acknowledged poison is in the dose, baby steps I guess.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Haven't read too much into it but is Watson primarily responsible for the LRT mess?

He was the one in charge. The buck stopped with him. He signed off on it even though testing was failing and incomplete. And he should be in prison for the way he failed the city. His palms must have been greased to sign off on it. There's no other explanation.

Assen na yo!

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Haven't read too much into it but is Watson primarily responsible for the LRT mess?
Some 17-18 years ago, when Sutcliff was hosting his show. It was election night and O'Brian was on his way to wining. Sutcliff had a panel on. One guest (an older Franco Gentleman, whose name I have forgotten/ he was big in local politics) spoke about the LRT and uttered these FANATSTIC statements

"we need mass transit in east/west fashion, we could not have that. So, we opted for North/south!!!! and he meant that as a positive. I almost fell off my chair.....

Since then, the city has been under tremendous pressure to have an east/west mass transit system..

They scraped the first system (it was idiotic to prioritize North/South) and focused on an east/west.

All the while costs grew and pressure mounted. Tons of money had already been spent and we were looking like a banana republic.

So, in the same way as Murray signed Bobby R and Dorion traded for the Cat and signed Mat Murray... Watson/ et all, got pushed into unwise decisions.

Politics and sports are identical. Both rely heavily on quality decisions made in the past and both live and die by immediate success.

The Sens got screwed by the poor drafting and deals of 2010-2017
The city got screwed by poor decision from 1990-2005

The Sens need 18000 plus to pack the place to pay bills... The Mayor needs ~ 130,000 votes to secure his/her election

You can appreciate, that forces hands and leads to DBC trades, Matt Murray signing, etc... And to a rushed, done on the cheap LRT.

When this city was doing well financially in the1990's. That was the time for a large scale civil project. That was the time for a slow, methodical mass transit build.... Missed and now we patch holes.

It is only fitting that Jim Durrell left the Mayor's office to become President of the Sens....

Watson was facing a new season with only 5,000 season tickets sold. He needed a DBC trade. (metaphorically speaking)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He was the one in charge. The buck stopped with him. He signed off on it even though testing was failing and incomplete. And he should be in prison for the way he failed the city. His palms must have been greased to sign off on it. There's no other explanation.

Assen na yo!
He signed off on it knowing that testing was failing and incomplete. It wasn't just a case of incompetence.

Yes, imo he should be in prison. As Canadians we're going to continue to receive shitty returns on public investment dollars until there are consequences for decision makers.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Just correcting your inaccuracies, seems you've come around and acknowledged poison is in the dose, baby steps I guess.

you’re not correcting any inaccuracies in my response to the original poster I was asking for clarification. He said we’re pumping poisonous gases into the atmosphere and I asked if he meant or was including CO2… which it is not.

you’ll go to some ridiculous extremes to try and make a point, such as you equating newborns in a nursery with tomatoes is a greenhouse….

CO2 in the atmosphere is not the same as any gas in a confined space, and that was what we were discussing, CO2 in the atmosphere, as anyone who has taken confined spaces training.

If anyone is in need of correction it was you, when you falsely said there is arsenic in apples, when in fact it is cyanide in the seeds of apples.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
you’re not correcting any inaccuracies in my response to the original poster I was asking for clarification. He said we’re pumping poisonous gases into the atmosphere and I asked if he meant or was including CO2… which it is not.

you’ll go to some ridiculous extremes to try and make a point, such as you equating newborns in a nursery with tomatoes is a greenhouse….

CO2 in the atmosphere is not the same as any gas in a confined space, and that was what we were discussing, CO2 in the atmosphere, as anyone who has taken confined spaces training.

If anyone is in need of correction it was you, when you falsely said there is arsenic in apples, when in fact it is cyanide in the seeds of apples.
Actually both arsenic and cyanide are present, though I was thinking of cyanide wrt the seeds.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I shared those exact same sentiments. The flexibility of having buses would eleviate almost any worry about the system crashing.

The type of LRT system we are building has the exact same problems in relation to weather as other cities who share the same climate. It's going to get worse.
Andy Haydon tried to warn us, but the local media, except for Lowell Green, wouldn’t’ t listen, they were all onboard the LRT bandwagon

Facebook.png

Reactions: DJB

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The reality is that RBT was not a 30 year solution. Rail was the correct decision, the problem was the implementation of the correct decision.

As of today, if you take into account the cost, the unreliability and no foreseeable end to the issues plaguing LRT…. Constructing the tunnel and expanding and improving the BRT system that was already in place, would have been the proper choice…. Oh, and less commuters using the system with the workforce moving increasingly to remote work.

I know for a fact that on the old system, prior to the conversion to LRT, it took one bus from Greenboro to Tunneys, and with the LRT, it added time to the commute by virtue of having to make transfers off the bus, onto the LRT…. So billions spent, to increase the commute time…when the system is actually working.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Edmonton (Is a LRT system), New York area (MNR, LIRR, NJT), Buffalo (LRT), Calgary (LRT), suburban Chicago (METRA), Montreal (AMT, 25 kV), Boston (portions of MBTA) and Philadelphia are electric propulsion systems in North America that operate in cold weather climates that use catenary (OCS) systems that operate above ground.

SEPTA (Philadelphia) operates in tunnels and above ground and is a overhead contact 25kV catenary system. That is one example of catenary systems that operate in systems that have both above and below ground operation.

Passenger and freight rail in Russia uses above ground catenary systems. Russia is the world leader in electrification in terms of the volume of traffic under the wires. Korea, a cold climate uses catenary rail systems. Electrified railways using overhead contact systems are used Sweden, Finland and Norway. All of these operate in cold weather climates.

The NEC rail corridor between Washington, DC and Boston carries the most amount of intercity rail traffic in North America and is also used by several commuter rail agencies in the northeast U.S. It is a 25kV catenary system. Some small sections (under the Hudson and into Penn Station) are underground but the ROW is largely (vast majority) above ground.

It's time to abandon this topic. Cheers.
I never said electric was bad just the type we put. Half the cities you include, as in the big ones primarily rely on subways to more the majority of their commuters. They are either diesel or electric, as in 3rd rail. In Russia they have a reliable system due to the fact the employ a large number of workers to clean the tracks after every snow fall.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
One of those rare times Lowell made a great point by having Andy on all those years ago. I remember those interviews.
To be fair, Lowell had a pretty good batting average on the various topics he covered over a long career…. Time have changed since his departure from local radio… pretty much nothing of substance is covered on what is on the air (talk radio) as everyone is afraid to accidentally offend someone, or some group, or someone who defends another group they’re not even a part of.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
To be fair, Lowell had a pretty good batting average on the various topics he covered over a long career…. Time have changed since his departure from local radio… pretty much nothing of substance is covered on what is on the air (talk radio) as everyone is afraid to accidentally offend someone, or some group, or someone who defends another group they’re not even a part of.
For sure, he was a old school, politically correct racist. lol I enjoyed his show because he had some great topics but would never admitt when he was wrong or wouldn't conceede to someone who was more informed than him. On many occasions he was checked and found a way to weasel his way out of it by telling someone to Bugger off. It happened to me many times. Hey, but now we get mindless radio from sunrise to sunset unless you listen to Rob Snow or the talk back hour with David Smith. I love call in shows.

Reactions: ColinM

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
For sure, he was a old school, politically correct racist. lol I enjoyed his show because he had some great topics but would never admitt when he was wrong or wouldn't conceede to someone who was more informed than him. On many occasions he was checked and found a way to weasel his way out of it by telling someone to Bugger off. It happened to me many times. Hey, but now we get mindless radio from sunrise to sunset unless you listen to Rob Snow or the talk back hour with David Smith. I love call in shows.

I would not consider him racist…. If he was, he would have taken off the air decades ago. Listened to him for years, and never heard a racist statement from him, so it’s puzzling to hear you say that.

Sure he was set in his ways, and stood his ground on some issues.

I too am a big fan of call in shows, but kinda stopped listening to Rob, when they moved him to 6am or whenever his show starts….. I get my talk show fix from podcasts nowadays, as you listen to them anytime, anywhere….. Listened to Rush for many years while travelling the highways of the USA… always entertaining.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I never said electric was bad just the type we put. Half the cities you include, as in the big ones primarily rely on subways to more the majority of their commuters. They are either diesel or electric, as in 3rd rail. In Russia they have a reliable system due to the fact the employ a large number of workers to clean the tracks after every snow fall.

Russia has about 130,000 km of track and about half of is electrified under wire. They're not "shoveling" snow off the OCS/conductors after every snowfall. The point of my post was to show that there are many cities around the world with electrified railways that operate successfully in cold climates. There are many different kinds of electrified rail systems in those cold climate cities used to carry passengers. Some of it is above grade, some of it below, and some cities have systems that operate both above and below grade. The L in Chicago uses 3rd rail but L is short form for "elevated" (hence, not in a tunnel). That's just one example. There's lot of different implementations and flavours. I worked in the industry for 42 years. It's time to move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Russia has about 130,000 km of track and about half of is electrified. They're not shoveling snow after every snowfall. The point of my post was to show that there are many cities around the world with electrified railways that operate successfully in cold climates. There are many different kinds of electrified rail systems in those cold climate cities used to carry passengers. Some of it is above grade, some of it below, and some cities have systems that operate both above and below grade. The L in Chicago uses 3rd rail but L is short form for "elevated" (hence, not in a tunnel). That's just one example. There's lot of different implementations and flavours. I worked in the industry for 42 years. It's time to move on.
I understand but you are trying to argue the viability of all electric like they are equal. I have said Ottawa should have went with a third rail system.

I'm a rocket surgeon soo....

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I understand but you are trying to argue the viability of all electric like they are equal. I have said Ottawa should have went with a third rail system.

I'm a rocket surgeon soo....
There are many criteria that are used to decide what kind of system is implemented. Number of passengers, headway, cost, etc. Its not as simple as its cold climate, therefore its subway, below grade and 3rd rail.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There are many criteria that are used to decide what kind of system is implemented. Number of passengers, headway, cost, etc. Its not as simple as its cold climate, therefore its subway, below grade and 3rd rail.
What kind of criteria do you think the people responsible for this used? Do you believe they did their due diligence?

The trains themselves are designed poorly as to not move the maximum amount of people per trip. They went style over substance. The trains look like the buses do.

People freeze waiting for trains.

You talked safety before and yet 3rd rails have been used predominantly by big cites for years.

The climate should be one of those criteria taken into account when choosing the right system.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What kind of criteria do you think the people responsible for this used? Do you believe they did their due diligence?

The trains themselves are designed poorly as to not move the maximum amount of people per trip. They went style over substance. The trains look like the buses do.

People freeze waiting for trains.

You talked safety before and yet 3rd rails have been used predominantly by big cites for years.

The climate should be one of those criteria taken into account when choosing the right system.
You make a lot of assumptions. For example, you assume I am endorsing the specific system implemented in Ottawa. To use an electrical reference, we've run this to ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad