News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Naturally occuring Arsenic in apples doesn't kill anyone either, but it's still a poison.
CO2 in the atmosphere is not poisonous, and is in fact essential to every life form on the planet.

CO2 is pumped into greenhouses to promote growth.

Apple seeds contain a cyanide- and sugar-based compound called amygdalin. The seeds have a strong outer coating that is resistant to digestive juices. But if you chew the seeds, human (or animal) enzymes come in contact with the amygdalin, cutting off the sugar part of the molecule

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
CO2 in the atmosphere is not poisonous, and is in fact essential to every life form on the planet.
Except that it is, at the right dose

CO2 is pumped into greenhouses to promote growth.
Of plants, if you start pumping CO2 at high enough concentrations into the maternity ward at the Ottawa hospital, see how long it takes for you to get arrested

Apple seeds contain a cyanide- and sugar-based compound called amygdalin. The seeds have a strong outer coating that is resistant to digestive juices. But if you chew the seeds, human (or animal) enzymes come in contact with the amygdalin, cutting off the sugar part of the molecule
Thanks for proving my point, a poison is still a poison if you aren't exposed to it, for example by the shell of the seed, a couple apple seeds, chewed or not, won't harm a person as the body can process small doses of HCN, and unchewed seeds pass right through, but if chew on a couple hundred to a thousand the body can't process it and it can kill you.

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Except that it is, at the right dose

Of plants, if you start pumping CO2 at high enough concentrations into the maternity ward at the Ottawa hospital, see how long it takes for you to get arrested

Thanks for proving my point, a poison is still a poison if you aren't exposed to it, for example by the shell of the seed, a couple apple seeds, chewed or not, won't harm a person as the body can process small doses of HCN, and unchewed seeds pass right through, but if chew on a couple hundred to a thousand the body can't process it and it can kill you.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
FTW!? i eat DUBBEL ZOUT daily!

oh no!
Vader.gif

Double salt black licorice eh. That must be an acquired taste.

Homer.gif

The Cherry Nibs I love are probably no better though.

Reactions: Bileur

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They are good... but definitely an acquired taste. I remember a colleague coming into my office once and asking to try one... she nearly puked all over my desk,. It was quite amusing.
Lol, I bet. There's really no sitting on the fence on black licorice, and the extra salt was probably the kicker on that. I can barely handle overly salted Mexican resort food, let alone those two together.

We like what we like though. I eat high cocoa, only lightly sweetened dark chocolate and my son spat that out and said it tasted like poop. Oh and the Zevia I hand out when I get asked for pop. I've been told it's "offensive".

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
OK. Well not sure what your exact points are as they have been kind of hard to follow. If you're saying that Ottawa's implementation of the LRT has been problematic, that is probably the easiest of the lot to wrap your head around. I was just saying that electric propulsion systems with overhead contact systems (OCS) which are also called catenary systems have been around for a long time and have operated successfully in many locations including areas with cold climates. Seeing as how you've stated you've been to all those different places, you would have undoubtedly noticed that.

Third rail systems are another form of electric traction systems that have been used but are less popular in people mover systems. It's because the third rail is dangerous to cross over by maintenance workers and in emergency situations. There have been a number of 3rd rail systems implemented though of course.

LRT systems are 600 to 750 volt systems and the OCS structure are often single pole design. Commuter rail, intercity rail, and subway systems are typically 12.3 or 25 kV (kilo volts) although there are others. 600 to 750 volts is sufficient to move a light vehicle (and fewer passengers) where as the 12.3 & 25 kV systems are used in mass transit systems where there are heavier vehicles and larger amounts of passengers. All of the systems mentioned in this paragraph use overhead contact/catenary systems to deliver electrical power to the vehicles traction power system.
And my argument was they are not appropriate for a typical Ottawa winter. Third rail systems have dangers associated with them like most things in life. It is the design of the system which negates those issues. Subway systems do not use overhead contact/catenary systems. That's what makes them the most reliable in bad weather conditions
other than diesel.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
stylizer put his hand on it best...

Ottawa's weather is extreme, Far worse than most other nations. We are colder than all but one Capital (Ulan Bator). Our weather is more sever than other cities that are 1000-2000 KM further north than we are.

-30 in winter +35 in summer. That is a 65 degree swing... a simple 3 inch diameter hole will experience 0.001-0.002 inches of expansion or contraction. Now the eye barely sees this, but the stresses on the metal are massive.

So now add stresses due to loading. and teh combine stresses can lead to failure. Imagine a +35 day, a full train and it moving at top speed... Or worst a -30 day, a full train, it moving at speed, frozen ground, so no dampening.. Now shock loads are at their max.. SHOCK LOADS ARE 10-20 G.... 1000-2000 m/sec^2.

now consider non metals and their brittleness. Their hygroscopy, their age hardening. Pits and voids that can expand and contract.

Designing for the elements in Canada is hellish. You cannot have above ground and all the while the cheapest bidder and lowest cost.

The LRT needed to be a brick shit house. not a delicate flower.

10^6 cycles in low cycle fatigue. it will begin to hit most areas in 5-10 years of use... If you think there are problems today, wait until 2026-2027.
YEAH!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Dumbed poem ever is the iron ring ceremony with Rudyard Kipling's poem/oat.

F'ng government... No one ever learns. Low bid is for your second wedding and hopefully the bride helps pay. Trains that move cities need to be reliable...

God forbid the first derailment or accident. Now let's hear the screaming (literally and figuratively)
That bend above highway 174 after Blair is a catastrophy wanting to happen. Who ever gave that design the go a head needs a kick on the head.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
That bend above highway 174 after Blair is a catastrophy wanting to happen. Who ever gave that design the go a head needs a kick on the head.
if you guys only knew.

I would continue, but the MODs and lawsuits would follow

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
View attachment 730946

Double salt black licorice eh. That must be an acquired taste.

View attachment 730947

The Cherry Nibs I love are probably no better though.
I used to love cherry nibs but now that I am older I cannot eat those sweet things anymore.

My wife did not like it as it was being built. She would rather avoid the 174 than risk driving there. On the other hand I am Evel Knieval!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I used to love cherry nibs but now that I am older I cannot eat those sweet things anymore.
I could see that. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore either, but Nibs and high quality ice cream are too much to resist.

Kind of like Alpha-ghetti, microwave dinner, Pizza Pops, etc. They were incredible as a teenager and now I can't stomach them. I'd rather go hungry.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think a lot of the "bends" in the LRT are troublesome for this LRT system. I took the LRT for the first time a few weeks ago and it was slooooow moving on certain parts of the track from Blair to Hurdman. And bloody noisy too with a lot of grinding noises on parts of the track. Something is definitely wrong with this LRT.

I could see that. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore either, but Nibs and high quality ice cream are too much to resist.

Kind of like Alpha-ghetti, microwave dinner, Pizza Pops, etc. They were incredible as a teenager and now I can't stomach them. I'd rather go hungry.

I still eat some microwave meals; they are much better than they used to be but some are still crap!

Pizza Pops have always been off my list; truly disgusting like Corndogs!

I am into ice cream treats too. Shows on my belly!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lol, I bet. There's really no sitting on the fence on black licorice, and the extra salt was probably the kicker on that. I can barely handle overly salted Mexican resort food, let alone those two together.

We like what we like though. I eat high cocoa, only lightly sweetened dark chocolate and my son spat that out and said it tasted like poop. Oh and the Zevia I hand out when I get asked for pop. I've been told it's "offensive".

I love black liquorice!

I once offered a Perry Winkle to our dog who screwed up her nose at it and ran out of the room. She eats everything except Perry Winkles! :)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I still eat some microwave meals; they are much better than they used to be but some are still crap!

Pizza Pops have always been off my list; truly disgusting like Corndogs!

I am into ice cream treats too. Shows on my belly!
I could believe that. Sometimes it feels like microwave meals are what I'm being served at some restaurants these days lol.

Corndogs too, blech, no thanks.

The Breyer's, etc. stuff I can do without, but I'm all about the homemade or more premium ice cream. Everybody here celebrated when we got our Dairy Queen but it coincided with the only other ice cream store in town, Marble Slab, shutting down, so I was a sad Panda. At least theirs had some cream hiding in there somewhere.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Don't chicken out now. Just add eligidly to it and you are good.
there is a concept called buoyancy when it comes to civil structures in the ground.

Anything buried will experience lifting forces. Regardless of how heavy, the water in the ground will lift it.

There is a fabulous paper on buoyancy calculation on the NET.

I downloaded it and wrote an excel program to calculate buoyancy for large structures that I sold. To overcome buoyancy you need to add a ring at the base of the structure (Manhole, catch basin, etc.) or add other means to hold the thing down.

Once you do the calculation, you realize that most, if not all structures need a buoyancy ring. Top of grade, water line, slope of pipe, discharge level, all impact the design of a system. And in Ottawa, WE HAVE A 2 m FROST LINE TO CONSIDER. So most pipes are 2 M deep, making most structures 2.2-3 M deep.. Guaranteed to float (push upwards).

And so as you walk around the city, you will notice damage around sewer structures, or as a minimum, lumps.... because no one adds floatation (more like anti-floatation) rings...

No one checks... no ones asks for verification...no one does it on their own, because it COSTS.

so come and visit me in River Side South, we can walk around and see the damage. Or the boobs in the ground

Child's play to calculate buoyancy requirements...no one does it..no one is asked.. and we get damaged streets. Damaged parking lots. Damaged sidewalks.

As you move about in our fair city, take a look at every manhole cover, catch basin, etc. See the lumps and see the damage in the area immediately around the cover.

all of this is allegedly and sources are alleging.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
And my argument was they are not appropriate for a typical Ottawa winter. Third rail systems have dangers associated with them like most things in life. It is the design of the system which negates those issues. Subway systems do not use overhead contact/catenary systems. That's what makes them the most reliable in bad weather conditions
other than diesel.
Edmonton (Is a LRT system), New York area (MNR, LIRR, NJT), Buffalo (LRT), Calgary (LRT), suburban Chicago (METRA), Montreal (AMT, 25 kV), Boston (portions of MBTA) and Philadelphia are electric propulsion systems in North America that operate in cold weather climates that use catenary (OCS) systems that operate above ground.

SEPTA (Philadelphia) operates in tunnels and above ground and is a overhead contact 25kV catenary system. That is one example of catenary systems that operate in systems that have both above and below ground operation.

Passenger and freight rail in Russia uses above ground catenary systems. Russia is the world leader in electrification in terms of the volume of traffic under the wires. Korea, a cold climate uses catenary rail systems. Electrified railways using overhead contact systems are used Sweden, Finland and Norway. All of these operate in cold weather climates.

The NEC rail corridor between Washington, DC and Boston carries the most amount of intercity rail traffic in North America and is also used by several commuter rail agencies in the northeast U.S. It is a 25kV catenary system. Some small sections (under the Hudson and into Penn Station) are underground but the ROW is largely (vast majority) above ground.

It's time to abandon this topic. Cheers.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I used to visit Washington DC quite a lot; the subway there is high quality!

That's what Ottawa should've done from the beginning. Our climate begs for a subway system, even if it would've cost a lot more from the beginning. In the end, it would've saved money compared to the LRT disaster.

I have a horrible feeling the LRT might be scrapped entirely in the next 10+ years, and the city will have ot start over with something else. Likely have to rip up the tracks, ditch the current trains, and set down a new system in its place. And who knows how many billions that will cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad