News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC - PART 2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was my original question, it’s going to be really expensive, and JD1 responds with an area, I guess he quoted me, but ignored the question then.
I think he just was saying that would be an ideal location, it's not like Lebreton will be free, the question is whether the extra cost is worth the superior location, but we have no idea how much more expensive one would be over the other.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Of course, they ar
I think he just was saying that would be an ideal location, it's not like Lebreton will be free, the question is whether the extra cost is worth the superior location, but we have no idea how much more expensive one would be over the other.
without a doubt lesplanade will be way more money. There is a revenue generating tower and commercial space. No chance for a buy and tear down.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Of course, they ar

without a doubt lesplanade will be way more money. There is a revenue generating tower and commercial space. No chance for a buy and tear down.
Lesplanade is a site the feds are getting rid of. You haven't been able to drink the water there for 10+ years.

The feds own the building and the land. If the land is vacant what is it worth? If the buildings are sold to developers to strip bare and rebuild, what's that worth?

A rink and hotel would probably fit there. Iirc the east of Gloucester is not built up.

Here's the problem with that location though: the feds screw up literally everything. It'd take them years just to figure out how to assemble a committee to hire consultants to write a report on what the land is worth. And part way thru that, the hiring consultants bit would get delayed as the feds pause, due to the ArriveCan fiasco, to study new contracting processes prior to letting a contract to study the lands value.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lesplanade is a site the feds are getting rid of. You haven't been able to drink the water there for 10+ years.

The feds own the building and the land. If the land is vacant what is it worth? If the buildings are sold to developers to strip bare and rebuild, what's that worth?

A rink and hotel would probably fit there. Iirc the east of Gloucester is not built up.

Here's the problem with that location though: the feds screw up literally everything. It'd take them years just to figure out how to assemble a committee to hire consultants to write a report on what the land is worth. And part way thru that, the hiring consultants bit would get delayed as the feds pause, due to the ArriveCan fiasco, to study new contracting processes prior to letting a contract to study the lands value.

Not to mention if there is a change in Government, and the flavour of the last decade or so, is to undo whatever the previous government did, and “do it right”…..one just has to look across the street from the Civic Hospital, where the New Hospital would already be up and operational, if the current government had just left things alone….. so there is that.

Reactions: JD1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m assuming a real estate play at Lebreton will help fund a new rink there.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Have you done a study on this? For a small fee I can get you a qualified group to do a study about who could do the study.

Reactions: JD1

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
There is a revenue canada building between Billings Bridge, the RA centre, and the CBC building that is vacant. It is a fair sized bit of land. Has the light rail running by it. Could be another interesting option

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There is a revenue canada building between Billings Bridge, the RA centre, and the CBC building that is vacant. It is a fair sized bit of land. Has the light rail running by it. Could be another interesting option

Not Downtown, or close to downtown….. and yes it has the North South LRT close by, but most commuters would be using the East West LRT….and there are currently no restaurants or bars nearby, and not much real estate to develop to build any

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Esplanade and DND are way better options for the city than LeBreton.
They both feed into existing infrastructure which would help the core immensely.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They both feed into existing infrastructure which would help the core immensely.
Lebreton makes the most sense for all stakeholders.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
101 Colonel by would be sweet, but I believe dnd is there for the next ten years so best case scenario we aren't putting shovels in the ground for a long time.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
101 Colonel by would be sweet, but I believe dnd is there for the next ten years so best case scenario we aren't putting shovels in the ground for a long time.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s likely but it would be awesome.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
Not to mention if there is a change in Government, and the flavour of the last decade or so, is to undo whatever the previous government did, and “do it right”…..one just has to look across the street from the Civic Hospital, where the New Hospital would already be up and operational, if the current government had just left things alone….. so there is that.
All governments do it We'd have had commuter rail - a system that works, no less - if John Baird hadn't stepped in to cancel the approved and funded plan that council had already approved before Mr. Zero Means Zero was elected mayor.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DND is to small as is.
It's big enough to fit the arena and that's it, so if they do it there, they'd need something beyond just that. I don't really see it as a viable option, but given that a move there would be 10 years away at minimum, I suppose a lot can change.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

Esplanade site is only about 3.5 acres. They would need adjoining pieces of land to make it work.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Pretty sure someone measured it out and Esplanade is not big enough, but I am more in favour of an arena that will revitalize downtown proper not some barren toxic waste field like Lebreton. Bayview would be great too

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not much there, there are better options.
I suppose it depends on what their priorities are, just off the top of my head, they all seem to offer something a bit different.

Hurdman pros:
Lots of space for both arena and additional development
On Transit and very close to the highway.
Adjacent to downtown, but it's a longish walk.

Lebreton Pros:
Potentially lots of room for both arena and additional development
Closer to downtown than Hurdman, and some already developed areas, but not quite a hub of activity, long walk to typical hubs but at least there's some options close by and on route.
On transit, but not the highway.

L'esplanade Pros:
Enough room for an arena but not for additional development
Fairly central
Close to transit and to highway, but not quite right on either

101 Colonel By Pros:
Enough space for an arena, but not for additional development
Centrally located downtown,
Right on Transit, good access to the highway with Nicolas.

Bayview Yards
Lots of space for both arena and additional development
On Transit but not the highway.
Adjacent to downtown, but not walkable.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad