Post-Game Talk: Leafs win again.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
The fact that our biggest superstar (unlike other superstars like McDavid or Crosby) can not be named a captain because he is a pos is devastating im devastated and he played good and he always plays good when he is under pressure. We have a great hockeyteam. I hope babcock doesnt **** this up in november just like last season it would be a shame.
Barrie is not good.

Wtf crap is this. How about you and your opinions on the Leafs are not good.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm assuming Holl, Gravel is them deciding who gets waived? Curiously no Spezza? But I actually like the forward lines how they are...I'm guessing Korshkov is odd guy out there?
Korshkov should get the Barb Underhill treatment on the Marlies and let him get adjusted to some regular ice time on the smaller rink with a new team in a new country.

Lots of time with him to over-ripen and work on his game

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Spezza is Marleau's replacement and you have declared Spezza greater than Marleau. Awesome!

I don't think this is true. Spezza is only a replacement as far as the leadership role goes on the team. With Marleau and Hainsey gone, we need someone to play the mentor role in the locker room. Spezza was almost certainly seen as a 4th line guy when he was signed.

As far as a replacement in the lineup, it would likely be Mikheyev taking over the 3rd line LW spot. And early signs point to that being an upgrade.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
I agree with your statement that Spezza is not Marleaus direct replacement but I disagree with the original poster declaring Marleau as dead weight. Marleau scored 37 points last year against a league average of 22.7. He scored 16 goals on a 3rd line in a checking role. Marleau's contract was an albatross but in my opinion he was not "dead weight".

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I was at the game tonight just a couple of rows behind the players bench. The Leafs dominated right from puck drop to the last whistle. Leafs looked the harlem globe trotters out there.

Things I noticed:
1. Mikheyev and Korshkov on a line together are money.
2. Holl played great.
3. Matthews has elevated to another level.
4. Nylander still has a filthy wrist shot (his goal stunned the whole building)
5. Moore is an NHLer

6. Marner was competently invisible.

The last one really worries me. Marner has been non-existent in 2 pre-season games I have gone to see.

I have home opener tickets as well. I hope he is not invisible then.

Marner was sick in the Habs game. He was flying. IIRC he was solid against the Sens as well.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I agree with your statement that Spezza is not Marleaus direct replacement but I disagree with the original poster declaring Marleau as dead weight. Marleau scored 37 points last year against a league average of 22.7. He scored 16 goals on a 3rd line in a checking role. Marleau's contract was an albatross but in my opinion he was not "dead weight".

Marleau was dead weight.

Marleau had the lowest points/60 on the team by far.

12th out of 12 forwards (1.16) on the team behind god-damn Gauthier (1.48) and Lindholm (1.22). His center Kadri? 1.84 points/60. The super-cold Nylander? 1.78 points/60. You see what I'm getting at? He was a literal drag on the 3rd line, feel bad for Kadri.

Kadri with Marleau: 52.9 CF%
Kadri without Marleau: 53.5 CF%
Marleau without Kadri: 48.2 CF%

There's no hard feelings with Marleau. He was an absolute stud during his actual playing days, and provided amazing experience/leadership for the Leafs as well during his first season.

Spezza is bad too at this age. It doesn't matter since Spezza is going to be on the 4th line and playing very, very limited minutes (strengths focusing on face-offs and PK/PP), but I'd much rather have Agostino/Petan/Gauthier/Timashov/Shore/Read/Korkshov than Spezza on 5v5.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Anyone notice the mustache Nylander was sporting in the post game? ....albeit not a very impressive one haha.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Just finished the game.

Man, Mikheyev was amazing. All over the ice, good defensively, good on the rush, really fast, great along the boards, killing penalties, what a nice addition.

Also loved Moore, the kid works his ass off every time he hits the ice.

The PP looks really promising, I like this setup and also the fact that Marner is shooting more, will be way harder to figure this PP out, we have so many options.

Also, Ceci has really impressed me. Just a steady, good skating, big partner for Rielly. Couldnt ask for more and I guess as he gets more comfortable we will see some offense from him as well.

On the other hand, I dont like Barrie at all. I have expected ankle breakers from him, nice rushes and quick breakout passes. I have seen none of those. He looks really uncomfortable, weak on the puck, lots of giveaways, feels like he is just not there sometimes. I hope it's only the early season form but he needs to be waaay better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's a shame that was a pre season game because that was among the most dominant proformances I have eveer seen

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Korkshov has been impressive. He jumped right in to top pp unit during a shift. Knew where to go and kept play going

Seems like a solid top 9 who can jump up in the lineup when needed

Reactions: Faltorvo and crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I liked Korshkov this preseason. I think you send him down though, give him a few months to work on first steps and learning the NA game and he's ready for a late season push when the bigger bodies will be needed. This gives Petan and Agostino some time to prove themselves before Hyman comes back. You'll be able to sneak them down through waivers more then I think. With a 21 roster due to cap restrictions, probably will only carry an extra D.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Any thoughts on whether AJ works well with Matthews and Nylander? Should someone else be tried there instead? Thought AJ looked great tonight.
Is "AJ" Johnson? I don't understand why people don't take the time to type the whole last name, is it that difficult? It would avoid confusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad