Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-4. Good response

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

One of the many things I appreciated about Keefe with the Marlies and now here. He will sometimes go over the game and what he liked in certain periods. Plus he doesn't sugar coat things.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
giphy.gif

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I'm gonna say it. Marincin had a good game.

The man's game is so predictable. He defends the blue line. Everything else is pretty damn bad. But he denies clean zone entries - the #1 predictor of offensive success.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I actually feel like this community, at least a certain subset, has become more insufferable during the Matthews era. At least back in the Kessel era, most agreed that the team was hot garbage. Those who hated the on ice product clearly outnumbered those who were optimistic.
I was in the sportsnet boards back then and it was pretty painful in there. Not as many fake fans as the ones that come through here. The mods were on you like a hawk.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He played so well, that they traded him and did better next season

Clearly he wasnt anywhere close to best defenseman

Well, Cale Makar is a beast so that's not fair lol. They have some pretty good D too with Johnson, Zadarov, Girard in their top-4.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I thought they better as a whole with pinches and knowing when to jump, which is what you expect after the prior 3 games. But Barrie on the 2-6 goal was ridiculous. Going in zone fishing for another goal when you're up by 5 at that point is just not being aware.

You cant win with players like Barrie.

He doesn't care about winning. He wants to pad stats to get a pay day in July.

Get rid of this moron when Rielly is back.

He shouldn't have pinched (if it were up to me), but that was not Barrie's fault. That's a standard play in Keefe's system. Barrie didn't even 'pinch' dangerously, he rotated in to take a one-timer while the other forward on the far side (Engvall) failed to rotate to support.

Engvall has to be aware that Barrie is going in deep to take a one-timer (fantastic chance). That's Keefe's system and Engvall failed to cover.

Regardless if you're up by 5+ goals, Keefe's system emphasizes D pinching with F covering them. For example the next shift, Justin Holl pinches in deep and goes beside the net. Rasmus Sandin and Travis Dermott do that in following shifts as well. Are those players not aware defensively as well?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He shouldn't have pinched (if it were up to me), but that was not Barrie's fault. That's a standard play in Keefe's system. Barrie didn't even 'pinch' dangerously, he rotated in to take a one-timer while the other forward on the far side (Engvall) failed to rotate to support.

Engvall has to be aware that Barrie is going in deep to take a one-timer (fantastic chance). That's Keefe's system and Engvall failed to cover.

Regardless if you're up by 5+ goals, Keefe's system emphasizes D pinching with F covering them. For example the next shift, Justin Holl pinches in deep and goes beside the net. Rasmus Sandin and Travis Dermott do that in following shifts as well. Are those players not aware defensively as well?

Or just tell your defence at 1-6 to not do it?

Barrie doesn't need to do that in a game with a five goal difference for his team.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Barrie doesn't need to do that in a game with a five goal difference for his team.

I agree with you, I would tell the D to play composed and just stay at the point. But Keefe doesn't agree clearly lol. The proof is there with all 6 D consistently doing it even with the 6-1 lead.

I'm guessing Keefe didn't want to take his foot off the pedal.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I agree with you, I would tell the D to play composed and just stay at the point. But Keefe doesn't agree clearly lol. The proof is there with all 6 D consistently doing it even with the 6-1 lead.

I'm guessing Keefe didn't want to take his foot off the pedal.

Well 6-2 at that point, then 6-3...

I like goals and offense, but having to score 5+ to win every game isn't great.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

In the past how often had we seen a Leaf team blow 3 goal leads, that was usually because the Leafs decided that protecting the lead was the way to go. It seems strange to me that a team that plays a style that enables them to build up a 3 goal lead would then deviate from that game plan to protect the lead. As far as I'm concerned continue applying offensive pressure till the end of the game, score 3 more or even more.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
34 is an elite goal scorer, such a pleasure to watch him play and put the puck in the net when hes engaged. Hopefully the 8 day break we have coming up will help Freddy because the last 5/6 games hes look shaky and has been struggling. I guess its better to struggle now though then in the playoffs.

Reactions: willmma

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The man's game is so predictable. He defends the blue line. Everything else is pretty damn bad. But he denies clean zone entries - the #1 predictor of offensive success.
But he ain't paid 5 million either
It's not like Barrie is 5 times better lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad