Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-4. Good response

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm not blaming 100% on Engvall, it's blame for both Barrie and Engvall. Both didn't make the smart decisions.

If I were Barrie, I would do that pinch BUT then hold onto the puck to continue the cycle, not shoot the puck.
If I were Engvall, I would rotate to the point (don't get caught puck-watching). That's a standard Sheldon Keefe offensive zone play. Even if Barrie doesn't shoot it, the far-side winger needs to always rotates to the point immediately.

Here, take a look at the sequence of events below.
  • All NJ players are on opposite side of ice, completely leaving a high-danger option to Barrie.
  • Nylander sees Barrie and passes it to him. At this point, the far-wing forward is supposed to immediately rotate up high. Engvall begins doing this.
  • Barrie receives the puck and shoots it (high-danger chance). Engvall suddenly changes direction to look at the net for a rebound.
  • Rebound pops out, and Engvall completely stops and goes for the rebound.
  • No Leaf gets the rebound and NJ gets out on a 2-on-1.
View attachment 308107
View attachment 308109
View attachment 308105

I can't see your screenshots, but watching again I see what you are trying to say if I freeze frame the play. In real time, however, expecting Engvall to go from the deep right corner to cover up for left point man in a matter of seconds is unrealistic IMO.

Barrie is facing the play and sees all 3 forwards essentially trapped down low. He has no forward support and a 6-1 lead, attacking the net was an error in judgement.

If we want to assign some blame to Engvall, I'll throw him 10% for not knowing Barrie makes poor decisions.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
After Freddie gets shelled in Florida, and with a 6-1 lead the Leafs should have shut the door and made it their primary focus to not let NJ get back into the game. Instead they played like it was shinny and seemed intent on running up the score.

The Leafs can score goals. They know it, the fans know it, anyone that can spell 'NHL' knows it. But this was a chance to rally around their starter and shut down a weak offensive team. Instead they let the Devils - one of the league's most impotent offenses - get 4 and make it interesting enough they pulled their own goalie.

Unless this team learns how to shut down teams, they're going to have to keep scoring 6+ a night to make the playoffs.

Not disagreeing with your point but in fairness the Devils did pull their goal when it was 6-3 and got their 4th goal with the net empty

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I can't see your screenshots, but watching again I see what you are trying to say if I freeze frame the play. In real time, however, expecting Engvall to go from the deep right corner to cover up for left point man in a matter of seconds is unrealistic IMO.

Barrie is facing the play and sees all 3 forwards essentially trapped down low. He has no forward support and a 6-1 lead, attacking the net was an error in judgement.

If we want to assign some blame to Engvall, I'll throw him 10% for not knowing Barrie makes poor decisions.

Yeah if I were Barrie I would have still pinched but held onto the puck a little longer instead of shooting it right away. I think that's what threw everything off. Engvall is a good defensive guy so there's no doubt he would've rotated properly if Barrie held onto the puck a little longer. I'd go 40% Engvall, 60% Barrie blame on that just because Engvall could've made it back if he didn't try to go for the rebound (Gusev was also in front of the net when Barrie was taking the shot, but ended up clean on the 2-on-1).

Oh well, hopefully both of them improve on that next game, especially in a 6-1 lead game.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is what we are. You are going to have to wrap your head around it. I personally think more defenders would help. But this is Dubie's team now and he wants high pace high skill and high scoring hockey. We are going to have to outscore our defensive issues. We can't shut down anyone. But you have to admit it is a lot of fun to watch these guys score. and they do it really well. Also we are going to have to really yell and scream at refs in late season and maybe playoff hockey to call every interference, elbow, board and stick infraction on us when we face Bruins again. As games tighten up and refs start to change their method of calling games we must ensure Leafs get regular season officiating. Keefe knows how to do it. Guys will be falling like Euros all over the ice. Unfortunately everything will have to get exaggerated. We will need everyone to Kadri.

I get that's who this team is now and no doubt, pretty much every game under Keefe has been exciting hockey. You literally can't walk away for a minute out of risk of missing a goal, on either side.

Come playoff time, I don't think anyone doubts that if they're down by 2 or 3 going into the 3rd period in a game 7 the game (and series) is far from over. The problem is, the same will be true if they are up by 2 or 3. Anyone with a heart condition would be advised to watch something else that night.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Is it me, or is Johnsson all about just skating fast? Where's all that skill?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sandin looked good, happy for Matthews with the hatty, and Marner is still the best player.

However, they are still having that five minute coma where the other team gets two or three quickies. Fortunately they had a big enough cushion this time, but that's still a major concern for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad