Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win 6-2

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Agreed but what happens when ref keeps his whistle in his pocket ?

Let's face it while teams may try intimidating leafs in the beginning they are eventually going to be told by their coaches to avoid stupid penalties with the Leafs.
A ref is not going to put the whistle away the whole night. Infact he often calls these penalties to set the tone for the game. Wont put up with garbage.

Saying this I'm hoping when the real season starts "the playoffs" and physicality is allowed more Leafs will have added a somewhat physical force who can play hockey(as poster mentioned b4)

For now team toughness is the key.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If I'm the coach, I'm telling Leivo stop trying to pick corners, just get the shot on the damn net. He's doing pretty much everything else needed to make the team, just keeps missing.

Reactions: hockeyes

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
People have this weird obsession towards Leivo. Just waiting for something to cheer about and when he does something good, well, that's that, he's turned it around. Meanwhile, other better players know that consistency is what it takes to stick in the NHL. Leivo hasn't really shown that which is why he's not consistently in a NHL line up. He's a dime a dozen player that a bunch of Leaf fans latched on to. It's a tradition here. It seems like there's one player who can occassionally have a great game or three and you will get post after post about why they should be in the lineup over someone else. The all have one thing in common.. they are usually totally replaceable and then they are when the new flavour gets drafted.

True post

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Not really.

My work pays half my internet. All my home phone. Wife pays her cell and step-daughters cell.

Maybe don't think you know other's situation before you comment?
Ahhh! So sorry I offended you.

Last edited:

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
They mentioned last night that maybe Connor Brown may be on the bubble and is actually in the fight for a roster spot or to stay on the Kadri line.
(excuse me if I misquoted the conversation)

I made a thread on Brown not too long ago. I am not totally sold on him bur I also see value in him. Where the heck does he fit in???

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I really do hope I'm not cursing out his boneheaded gaffes every game. Maybe this will be the year...
he doesn't have gaffes every game. Watch Subban play and you will see his fair share of mistakes as well. It Comes with playing a high risk high reward game

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If anyone needs to sit, I vote Johnsson. Dude has been non-existent this whole pre-season. Like, I seriously have not noticed him do anything decent in of the games he's been in so far.

I even posted about Johnsson not being a lock this upcoming season in one of the threads this offseason..surely I got laughed at. This board tends to overrate players based on small sample sizes.

Not that he can't be a good player, I'm sure he can. But as of right now, he's been outplayed by many bottom 6 forwards
I don't disagree. I like him but he is the odd man out based on merit right now

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am impressed by Ennis. Not that he's lighting the world on fire, but he's played way better than I thought he would. I am glad he's proved me wrong.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
hopefully.
i mean. i'm not gonna hold my breath on that one but maaaayyybeeeee :)

honestly i can see this playing out already
everytime Jake has an amazing game we're gonna have people going "oh eff you all see, I told you Jake was good" or "He's elite, see!" or other things to justify why we should keep him.

I am not dumb.
I can see that Jake is a great skater and he's great for a lot of points and that players who tend to have the puck a lot tend to make mistakes. it's a given. my issue with Jake is that the space between his ears isn't always firing at all cylinders and while people want dismiss game seven as it is only one game (which - it is), it is basically the issue i have with Jake the hockey player - and why I personally don't think we should commit 7+m dollars on him.

i'd rather give up 20 points (from his 50), find someone who can skate rather well, and can defend better and make smarter/quicker decisions than Jake. that's how a lot of people feel. why people can't hold this view is beyond me.
You can hold the view. It just might not be a view that is realistic. Pay attention to how good his zone denial is. If he could teach this to Oz, he would be doing the leafs a great service

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am impressed by Ennis. Not that he's lighting the world on fire, but he's played way better than I thought he would. I am glad he's proved me wrong.

I have to say I'm not impressed.

He looks like a NHL player, which he should he's a NHL veteran.

I think he could play with many NHL players, but impressed? No more than Connor Brown impresses me.

Obviously, no comparison between what we've seen between him and Jooris.
I could see Ennis sticking, and Joorish being on an emergency call up list.

Reactions: Havoc

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He's keeping up, making some plays, but I think he's sputtered a bit since camp opened. Obviously Nylander replaces him when he comes back, but Leivo did himself a big favour by stepping up, especially that last game. I think it's come down to either Johnsson or Ennis for the last spot.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Connor Brown seems to be diminished. Just doesn't impress me at all any more. I would love for him to sit out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's keeping up, making some plays, but I think he's sputtered a bit since camp opened. Obviously Nylander replaces him when he comes back, but Leivo did himself a big favour by stepping up, especially that last game. I think it's come down to either Johnsson or Ennis for the last spot.

Well for some points are most important, so based on points the best Leafs player?
Okay, just kidding! Points don't determine best player, but they do show that the player is contributing.

At his price I don't think he clears waivers.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Zero points for Marner. Wonder if he’s still best player on the team and if he’s still worth $10 Mill.
NOPE, Babs will put him back down on the 4th line until Christmas. Think how ridiculous that was last season. Mitch dropped to the 4th to get Martin some scoring chances.

Reactions: Alerion

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
NOPE, Babs will put him back down on the 4th line until Christmas. Think how ridiculous that was last season. Mitch dropped to the 4th to get Martin some scoring chances.
Martin has to better this year. Heard he worked out with Mitch Muscles over the summer to get stronger. He’s probably going to get 3rd line minutes.

Martin - Kadri - Komarov.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad