Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Some may not want to hear this, but Sandin has struggled for some time now. He is still doing things with the puck, but he is making many errors which is expected.

Sandin's been great. This is what a 19 year old future 15 year vet looks like in his first games in the best league in the world. And Timashov has been pretty good too: working hard on the forecheck, always thinking about defense and supporting his pinching defensemen. This is how matured pro hockey players play. They don't stand around wondering which way they should be facing.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Some may not want to hear this, but Sandin has struggled for some time now. He is still doing things with the puck, but he is making many errors which is expected.
I would feel bad for Marner right now, but he brought this upon himself. I can't have sympathy for a player who was putting the team in a terrible spot, just because he wanted to be paid "best player on the team" money. If the contract is weighing him down, then maybe he shouldn't have asked for it. You better petform as a result. Dubas also should be blamed for giving him that contract.
Define 'many'....I have seen a few...not many...in fact many less than all the other Dmen on the Leafs. He is getting better !

Reactions: bax and JustAShadow

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Define 'many'....I have seen a few...not many...in fact many less than all the other Dmen on the Leafs. He is getting better !

Sandin is not ready. He is far to weak to 3rd pair it. He got crushed last game and he is fearful under pressure making mistakes. It just happens.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
read the post that I replied to.
thanks

Marner kills penalties.
Mathews dosent.
Ok...I dont really follow but even though Matthew's didn't score (for first time this year?) I did notice him, he was going unlike marner that I barely noticed. I'm harping on my favourite player here by the way...but scoring is allot harder to do then getting points in this league. To me it's obvious the different level of players they are in this seasons games.

Marner wants a huge contract(dont forget he wanted even more $$) he cant have a night off....specially vs a Detroit. Anyways hes overpaid to me that's killing our cap, I think most on here agree...let's move on

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Love that 4th line. Babcock is a genius!

Gauthier-Shore-Timashov was the coaches call on opening night. Now that they’ve given Petan and Spezza enough rope to hang themselves with, hopefully they stick with this trio until Hyman comes back.

Shore is a good 4th line centre and checks all the boxes for what this team needs, aside from a little nastiness.

Reactions: Its not your fault

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'll post this again: it's going to be hilarious to read the complaining about Marner as he hits 100 points this season at least 30 points north of slick Willie.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Gauthier-Shore-Timashov was the coaches call on opening night. Now that they’ve given Petan and Spezza enough rope to hang themselves with, hopefully they stick with this trio until Hyman comes back.

Shore is a good 4th line centre and checks all the boxes for what this team needs, aside from a little nastiness.

I wasn’t sure about Shore, but last night he really opened my eyes. I like what I see. I hope we see the exact same 4th line next game. You literally cannot ask for any more from them, so keep it going.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
That almost sounds like what the coach is asking for. Couldn't be that he knows what he's talking about.....could it? :popcorn:
The coach talks a great game but doesn’t know how to motivate some of these guys to be ready to play at the beginning of the game or sustain that desire an entire game.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I watched several decades of teenaged (or 20 yo) defensemen on the Leafs: Randy Carlyle, Benning, Boimistruck, McGill, Iafrate, Nylund, Todd Gill, Berehowsky, Kenny Jonsson, Schenn, Rielly, Kaberle, the other Petr Svoboda (forgotten in time), Danny Markov, Jeff Ware, Alex Godynyuk, probably forgetting a few.

Only Kaberle and possibly Jonsson looked better than Sandin has in terms of being NHL ready. He's about on par with Rielly.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Points aren't everything.

It's like congratulating Tavares for a primary assist on the empty netter.

Matthews and Nylander have been way better than the other two. More hustle, shot creation, and pretty much everything else.

Racking up cheap points may work for an ELC player but not someone with an 11M contract.

Tavares and marner have combined for 5 even strength points while being outscored with a -6.
Matthews and Nylander have combined for 8 even strength points while outscoring the opposition with a +2.

PP unit with most of those players has been okay, but not great.

Both lines have to be better, but one line has to figure out how to play on both sides of the puck.

I expect all will improve, but right now looking at PP points and saying their lines are working is misleading.

Reactions: Faltorvo

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

While I think Spezza has hung himself, I've been mostly satisfied with Petan's play although it lacks a true 4th line style. I think Petan is skating better this season.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
What is going on with marner? He looks frustrated out there. During a power play he lost the puck and B lined it to the bench.

If you are going to ask for that crazy contract, you'd better be ready to produce. Its embarrassing

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What good is a defenseman that can put up huge numbers but whose underlying metrics and shot maps suggest that he's allowing even more dangerous shots to pass through? Unless a team's able to shelter them, defensemen like Rielly will command significantly more money than what they actually influence on the ice. It's one of the biggest reasons why people are so set on Karlsson being robbed a Norris trophy. I mean, Rielly's done a ton in his tenure with the Leafs without much help and it's good to give him a chance but the eye test also suggests some shortcomings. Maybe it's because I'm looking for them but Rielly's becoming a riskier defenseman each season.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Sandin is not ready. He is far to weak to 3rd pair it. He got crushed last game and he is fearful under pressure making mistakes. It just happens.
I haven't seen any fear in his game..at all. He rarely gets into trouble and does very well making a decent pass when needed. The forwards are relying on him more now. They see him as competent. He needs to play more ...It's early,but it isn't difficult to see this lad knows what to do and has the skill level to do it!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I watched several decades of teenaged (or 20 yo) defensemen on the Leafs: Randy Carlyle, Benning, Boimistruck, McGill, Iafrate, Nylund, Todd Gill, Berehowsky, Kenny Jonsson, Schenn, Rielly, Kaberle, the other Petr Svoboda (forgotten in time), Danny Markov, Jeff Ware, Alex Godynyuk, probably forgetting a few.

Only Kaberle and possibly Jonsson looked better than Sandin has in terms of being NHL ready. He's about on par with Rielly.
Me too...You are correct...Sandin is lookng confident! Not sure how this lad is going to be sent down,but if they do ,it's political!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad