Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Matthews did have 4 shots and dominated possession. Weak competition sure, but it is still nice to see he's an effective presence even if he doesn't produce offensively. I don't think that was the case last year
I think Matthews was still hurt after that Trouba hit last year, he was not himself, when he is healthy he is a very effective 2 way center, back checks plays a 200ft game with the best centers in the game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think Matthews was still hurt after that Trouba hit last year, he was not himself, when he is healthy he is a very effective 2 way center, back checks plays a 200ft game with the best centers in the game.
If Matthews is still hurt from that Trouba hit last season, then, the Doctors missed something that probably requires surgery to fix.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don’t deny I would’ve liked to see our players at those numbers but I think Nylander and Matthews will live up to them.

Nylander looks like it. Matthews is a heck of a lot more likely than Marner.

Reactions: Hustlr

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
you keep saying good teams dont have a hyman type player in the top 6, look at Kassian in Edmonton the team is 5-0 and he is a force.....

all I was saying was that Hyman is a good player for our top 6. there record is also 5-0 kassian has been very good on that top line.

LMAO Kassian is terrible, and has been terrible on that line.

Watch an Edmonton game and you'll realize how bad it is. He converts on like 1/10 scoring chances, and you know McDavid ... He literally creates multiple scoring chances every single shift.

Don't compare Hyman to Kassian, because they're not remotely close to the same style.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
LMAO Kassian is terrible, and has been terrible on that line.

Watch an Edmonton game and you'll realize how bad it is. He converts on like 1/10 scoring chances, and you know McDavid ... He literally creates multiple scoring chances every single shift.

Don't compare Hyman to Kassian, because they're not remotely close to the same style.
can compare who I want no? he also has 3 goals on the year,how are there styles so different? they are both puck retrieving players. Both hard on the fore check. I myself say Hyman is a better player but the poster I quoted has said there is no one as bad as hyman thats a top 6 in the league so I pointed out Kassian

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
can compare who I want no? he also has 3 goals on the year,how are there styles so different? they are both puck retrieving players. Both hard on the fore check. I myself say Hyman is a better player but the poster I quoted has said there is no one as bad as hyman thats a top 6 in the league so I pointed out Kassian

Check out an Edmonton game. Kassian offers literally nothing on that line other than hits (not useful hits). He's not a puck retrieving player, he's not a good defensive player and he doesn't have skill/hands. If you want to classify him as a puck-retrieving player, he's a very terrible one. Also, 3 goals on a gazillion attempted tap-ins from McDavid is still brutal. Even then, he won't keep that up.

Hyman isn't a skilled player and doesn't have good hands, but he's a strong puck retriever and strong defensive player.

Edmonton's top-6 is a terrible example to give IMO. They're on a hot-streak right now, and they've never had a good supporting cast around their top centers in recent years. Can't compare that to Toronto.

Jun 27, 2005
Remember, as we've seen this offseason, rfa's that score somewhere around 90 points sign for somewhere around 9 million.

So Marner is STILL significantly overpaid even if he comes around to his 90 point form (which he's only done once).

He needs to be top 5 in points, well over 100 points to earn his contract.

And we will NOT forget it. And we will NOT be quiet about it.

So if Marner gets 109 points will you finally shut up about it?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Sad that professionals need the coach to “motivate” them to do the jobs that most are extremely well compensated for.
Speaking of well compensated.....
And how about a coach that sucks the life out of a team because he will only have them play his style ?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So if Marner gets 109 points will you finally shut up about it?
He would be meeting the bare minimum of his contract. I wouldn't be complaining if Marner scores 110 points. But I wouldn't be applauding him either. His contract demands at least 110 points.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Speaking of well compensated.....
And how about a coach that sucks the life out of a team because he will only have them play his style ?

Yes, he's awful Jax.

I'm sure many of us have had bosses we haven't liked. Still need to do your job to the best of your ability.

Or is that just old school thinking?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He would be meeting the bare minimum of his contract. I wouldn't be complaining if Marner scores 110 points. But I wouldn't be applauding him either. His contract demands at least 110 points.
This type of logic does not make any sense when evaluating if most top tier players are worth their deals or not.

McDavid last year had 116 points, his contract was 12.5 million, would you say his deal is a bad one?

Eichel gets 10 million but paced for about 87 points last year, does that make his deal bad?

1 point per 100k of a player contracts is a reasonable way to evaluate low to mid level deals. However elite players with high contracts almost always put less than 1pt for 100k.

Getzlaf, Ovy, Panarin, stone, Seguin, toews, Kopitar etc are all examples if elite players who wont luve up this expectation.

I think he needs to put 100 points to live up to his deal. If he does that we have him on a fair/slight steal depending on his playoff performance

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This type of logic does not make any sense when evaluating if most top tier players are worth their deals or not.

McDavid last year had 116 points, his contract was 12.5 million, would you say his deal is a bad one?

Eichel gets 10 million but paced for about 87 points last year, does that make his deal bad?

1 point per 100k of a player contracts is a reasonable way to evaluate low to mid level deals. However elite players with high contracts almost always put less than 1pt for 100k.

Getzlaf, Ovy, Panarin, stone, Seguin, toews, Kopitar etc are all examples if elite players who wont luve up this expectation.

I think he needs to put 100 points to live up to his deal. If he does that we have him on a fair/slight steal depending on his playoff performance
Nope.

Rantanen signed for 9.2x6. He can continue being a 90 point player and earn his contract. Marner makes 1.7 million more per year. That is substantial. So I expect... make that DEMAND... Marner to get substantially more points than Rantanen.

I'll use the precise percentage. Marner makes 16.8% more money than Rantanen (Marner's contract is so much more front-loaded that it at least offsets any tax advantages), so if Rantanen scores 90 points, I expect 16.8% more from Marner. That's around 108 points.

But everyone keeps saying these guys are young, and will get better. So if Rantanen improves to a 100 point player (not far-fetched in the slightest), then Marner will need to score 117 points.

Now play that game with Kucherov. Things could get dicey.

Maybe, instead of all of this, Marner should have signed for fair market value.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
That would be fine but it's more like...

Matthews 9.5m @ 5y
Nylander 6.5m @ 6y
Marner 8.5m @ 6y

That's about... ohh... 24.5 call it 25m for the 3 vs. 30m or about 5M in overpays and Jake Gardiner signed for 4m for 4 years. He is a really good defender.

I understand the want and need to trivialize this situation but it's going to keep carrying on with the D that want contracts. Do you really think they want to be paid like chumps looking at this? How about the tender? I mean, why would you? lol. Just hold out and tell them you want more.

Wave, the bottom line is that Marner/Matthews were not going to sign for 8.5M/9.5M.
Not a chance. It's wishful thinking and you know it. A ton of NHL teams would have given them more than that on an offer sheet.
Rumor was Marner had an offer sheet in the double digits. And Matthews is worth more.

And before you can say: "Then let them leave and take the first round picks!" Lets remember the Leafs are now in their cup window. You want to rebuild with draft picks while Reilly and Tavares are in their prime? You want to wait a few more years? Really?
You think you can draft someone better than Marner/Matthews? It's not for sure.
Matthews is a once in 25 years kinda pick.

Reactions: bax

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sure, but hating our 2nd best player is rather silly. Am I not allowed to have that opinion?

the thing is - second best player or not, people are allowed to like/not like him (or anyone else). I mean i've said this regarding anyone - he can start playing better again like Menz said

Sure.

But most of these folks will probably shut up once he actually starts playing like the teams 2nd best player.

but that doesn't change the fact that they can still not like the guy (or anyone else).
I don't know where it is written that "2nd best player automatically = having to love the guy" nor do i get why in a few weeks when he'll start to play better, why people will be silly - if they don't like him anyway.

True, people do like to be petty about everything.

but why is it petty?
people like whom they like, and people don't like whom they like. what does pettiness have to do with it?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Marner is way overpaid but many of you guys are waaaaaay too focused on number of points. What we need are players who give a crap about defence, such as Ryan O'Reilly, Patrice Bergeron, vintage Doug Gilmour, etc. It is not about scoring points. It's about having a complete game. You don't pay anyone top money if their games have big holes.

Reactions: mallory67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad