Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yea but neither has Spezza. I was already leaning towards Shore anyway especially for a Babcock kind of team. Having a 4th liner like Spezza didn’t make any real sense unless we’re going for an all offence team which clearly doesn’t work.
He’s a good face off guy and can still score,
. Nice depth to have. I’d like to see Agastino up at some point too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
People would have a right to complain. Marner is still overpaid if he is a 100 point player.
It was already shown that 100 point players are worth at most 9.5x8, (and that’s with 7 ufa years.)

Are the expectations borderline unattainable? Yes. But he did this to himself.
Yup and very few buy the good ole hometown boy aww shucks shtick anymore

Reactions: Kurtz

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He’s a good face off guy and can still score,
. Nice depth to have. I’d like to see Agastino up at some point too.
That’s the thing Spezza has going for him. He would be better at moving up in the line up than Shore would. All this player movement will be much more difficult when Hyman and Dermott comeback though. At this point in time, if they were coming back next game, I’d lean towards offloading Spezza and Petan...maybe Marincin too although I’m not that impressed with Holl either.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
People would have a right to complain. Marner is still overpaid if he is a 100 point player.
It was already shown that 100 point players are worth at most 9.5x8, (and that’s with 7 ufa years.)

Exactly. Marner is a better player than Willie but he is not a 3.9mil better. The fact that Marner is literally playing like crap(not just points but the way he is skating and engaging the plays) is a huge concern.

Reactions: Kurtz

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Define 'many'....I have seen a few...not many...in fact many less than all the other Dmen on the Leafs. He is getting better !
He isn't getting better though. He will but right now he isn't. He literally caused the 1st goal yesterday, and played a part in the 2nd goal. I'm not worried but he has slipped.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Best thing about taking away Marleau n brown is that Babs is forced to field more depth guys like timashov n Moore. They really play with so much heart, hope they can maintain it through the season though.

Reactions: Menzinger

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He isn't getting better though. He will but right now he isn't. He literally caused the 1st goal yesterday, and played a part in the 2nd goal. I'm not worried but he has slipped.
Are you not seeing opponents fail in their attempts to check him...he is more elusive than anticipated and his passing accuracy is maybe the best of all the Dmen...As far as last nites gaff ,that was only the 3rd one this year that looked bad and he wasn't the only player who missed an assignment either...care to count the other Dmens mistakes this year so far? Or the fact that Fred has sucked .

I predict he stays.Once he goes around the League once(sees all the competition) he will be even more confident. Unless it's a political thing where they consider his ELC and other bullshyte ,I'm reasonably sure Babs wants him to stay.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Best thing about taking away Marleau n brown is that Babs is forced to field more depth guys like timashov n Moore. They really play with so much heart, hope they can maintain it through the season though.
I wish the rest of the team played like timo. Hitting everything in sight.

I think it's worth pointing out that Andy was good after allowing the first early goal. I think he'll start to turn the corner into Novembersen soon.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Spot on.

It's really opened up new opportunity for other depth guys to shine

Reactions: Leafling

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The coach talks a great game but doesn’t know how to motivate some of these guys to be ready to play at the beginning of the game or sustain that desire an entire game.

Sad that professionals need the coach to “motivate” them to do the jobs that most are extremely well compensated for.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
as I have said several times, Babcock has his weaknesses, but saddling him with the blame for the players not be motivated to put in their best efforts is, IMO, a crutch many posters use too often

when babs pushes these self centered offencive guys too much, then we get these "rift with player xxx" BS

you can tell that some of these entitled players don't feel that they need to sacrifice that way.

that kind of game is for the low born.

Reactions: egd27

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
as I have said several times, Babcock has his weaknesses, but saddling him with the blame for the players not be motivated to put in their best efforts is, IMO, a crutch many posters use too often

Why are we paying Babcock more than any other coach in NHL history?

Its literally his job to get the players to play as he wants.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

You have a real tight rope on Marner don’t you jeez. You should go look at what the qualifiers are on some of the bridge deals that were signed for Players not as prolific.

Dubas has done a good job by signing the three Amigos of Marner,Matthews and Nylander. All potentially 80 pts per season players that are a stabilizing position for 5 years.

Dubas signs or convinces Tavares to leave the Islanders. He comes in and scores 47 goals and helps Marner get his contract elevated with a career high 94 points.

Barrie and Muzzin can play as a #1 pair on any team in the league or a 1 A- pair at minimum. He trades for these guys and gets a top defensive center in Kerfoot for good measures

Drafts Sandin,Robertson, signs Mikheyev, trades off Marleau and Zaitzev at a cost that he can afford because the assets and quality of the team at the Nhl level permits this.

This management group is so cutting edge that you don’t even get it it so stop skipping like a broken record on the Marner overpayment that is currently existing.

Even Cici has proven to be astute evaluation by this management group to really slap malcontents in the mug hard. A bit of a overpay on Marner, a bit of a overpay on Willy,a bit of a overpay on Matthews who gives a rats @SS !

Willy amazingly and quickly looks like a value contract already!
Matthews as a elite goal scorer no, THE elite goal scorer in the league easily debate that his contract is entirely acceptable compensation for the game breaker he is.

Marner can be slagged even if he scores 100 points you say! Thats madness my friend.

Dubas gets no credit for how completely astute he has been for us.

I completely appreciate this Management group. Just sayyyyin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner is the most overpaid in relation to his comparables. Then (in order) Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares last (his comparables are ufa’s).

So that’s why there’s more heat on Marner. He did this to himself.

Also, points aside, Marner has looked like crap all season, while Matthews and Nylander have looked good in most of their games. Tavares has also looked like crap, but he’s getting almost as much heat as Marner.

Thing with Marner is he pegged his value to his production in negotiating on the notion that he’s as good as Matthews. But in early season play you can clearly see that he can produce a high volume of points and look good statistically while doing nothing on the ice. So the problem is we’re paying for a stats line that may have no bearing on team success.

As it stands, he’s put an unbelievable amount of pressure on himself but if you want to be significantly richer than Kane and Kucherov, you better bring a lot to each game and not look like a junior player out there. It’s crazy that in the four years he’s been in the NHL he hasn’t improved his physical strength or center of gravity while guys like Moore and Timashov are small guys who add lots of sandpaper to create more value.

Reactions: Faltorvo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad