Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nylander...... I see Micheal Nylander every time I look at him now. And boy, does he look awful with that scruffy beard.

Copy that.

I like Kappy better. I'm flipping Nylander for a solid D in a good contract. Nylander is crazy trade bait after July 1. I'm not in a rush to trade him. I'll keep him unless a good trade comes, but trades are hard in the no trade NHL.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm almost certain Babcock will try to match the JT line (with Hyman) to the Bergeron line. Probably one of the main reasons JT was brought in,vet #1C who can help play against other vet #1Cs
Then we NEED Matthews to score.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Then we NEED Matthews to score.
I think he would. Chara is a perfect foil to Matthews style of play due to his long reach and big body. Can the bruins afford to play Chara & McAvoy against Matthews when JT & Marner is on the loose? The leafs should shorten the bench against the bruins and run 1st and 2nd line for at least 20 minutes each. That might hurt the PK but so be it. It doesn't seem like we can defend a short handed situation against Boston anyways

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mess what about adding another Hyman type player at the deadline? I don't think there will be a D upgrade there for an affordable cost - but adding Dermott to the top 4 and sliding Hainsey down to the bottom pair and adding another heavy winger that can grind it out in the playoffs against teams like Boston, Washington, Columbus seems like a good idea to me. Then the Leafs could play fast or play heavy or at least be not so easily pushed off the puck.

There are already teams looking more at the lottery than the playoffs.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for a rental?

Optionally, is there anyone on the Marlies who can play that role.

Leafs don't need another small, playmaking winger.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
There are already teams looking more at the lottery than the playoffs.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for a rental?

Optionally, is there anyone on the Marlies who can play that role.

Leafs don't need another small, playmaking winger.

That's a great question Ulf.

I think back to the Mike Johnson-Darcy Tucker trade often. I wonder who is around 24 years old give or take a year...with some untapped scoring potential ready to beakout, yet has that Darcy sandpaper to his game. Maybe not quite as much offence (we don't need that anyway) but someone who could play in the top 9 and keep up with our speedy lineup. I'd be wiling to trade Kapanen for such a player if we could identify one. And I really like Kappy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JT on Hyman "fortunate to be playing with him".

Leaf player comments from last nights game.

JT on Hyman

Over the course of 16:44 of ice time, including 2:03 while the Leafs were shorthanded, Hyman made his presence known. Along with his linemates, the trio consistently dominated play and controlled the tempo when on the ice. The 26-year-old controlled the boards and created space in the offensive zone for the highly-skilled Tavares.

"I think all night I think you see his contribution on the penalty kill, on the forecheck," Tavares stressed postgame. "So much trust in him winning battles and 50-50 pucks - how good he is coming out of those. Just putting pressure on the opponent and he just makes things happen with that. So predictable that way. So consistent on a nightly basis. Definitely great to have him back and fortunate to be playing with him. "

Travis Dermott on Hyman

"He had a hell of a game tonight," added defenseman Travis Dermott. "I think he really proved what we were missing out there. Whether we showed it or not we really miss a guy like that. He comes in and like Johnny [Tavares] he'll battle for everyone on the ice and really, really battle in deep in the corners. "You want to play harder for guys like that."

Ron Hainsey on Hyman

Less than five minutes into the game, Hyman showed why he is so valuable to Toronto as he got the primary assist on Ron Hainey's fourth goal of the season.

"I think Zach dug it out and got it up top [to me] and was in front," said Hainsey, noting how Hyman created the screen on Devils' netminder Keith Kinkaid. "It's just who he is as a player. He does it game-in and game-out and we certainly missed him. "

Mike Babcock on Hyman

Coming off a 4-0 loss to the Nashville Predators at home, and three losses in their last four games without Hyman, having their dynamic winger was critical to the Leafs avoiding a slide. Hyman now has seven goals and nine assists in 33 games this season with an impressive plus-14. While his numbers may not be as eye-popping as his linemates, what he brings are the intangibles. As Babcock noted, "he was good for Tavares," who now has 29 goals this season. Despite Hyman missing more than three weeks, head coach Mike Babcock was also confident in his winger and had him out for the last minute of the game with the Leafs leading by a goal.

Hyman on Hyman.

"It's good to be back," Hyman, who was activated off the Injured Reserve following the morning skate, said with a smile. "I was excited to come back. It felt good in the first period, thought I had my legs.

"It was a good team win and I'm happy we got that."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's a great question Ulf.

I think back to the Mike Johnson-Darcy Tucker trade often. I wonder who is around 24 years old give or take a year...with some untapped scoring potential ready to beakout, yet has that Darcy sandpaper to his game. Maybe not quite as much offence (we don't need that anyway) but someone who could play in the top 9 and keep up with our speedy lineup. I'd be wiling to trade Kapanen for such a player if we could identify one. And I really like Kappy.

Alex Tuch

But he'd cost a tonne.

Sam Bennett

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Tomorrow's a big one. It may be too early for some but not for me, I'm thinking about Boston in round 1 already (very likely to happen IMO) and that's going to be a very tough fight. I'll just throw this out there, would be interested in what others think.

If we contain Bergerons' line, we win the series. If we don't, we lose. Since that's the key to our entire season, maybe we should start thinking about it now. If I'm Babcock, I would come up with a line that has the best chance of containing these guys and try it out tomorrow night. The line I would like to try is Kadri, Hyman and Kapanen. Kadri because he's done this job before, he's done it well and if we can get him going again, that would make us a much better team. This assignment I believe would get him once again playing like the Kadri of the last couple of seasons. Hyman because his style of play is perfect for this, he doesn't have to produce offence at all, just play D, break up the cycle and forecheck to keep the puck in the Ozone as much as possible. Kapanen I'm least certain of but I think his speed helps keep them honest in our zone, just seems like a good fit to me. If this line can keep it even somewhat close, it leaves the big guns free to inflict damage on the rest of the Boston lineup which they should be able to do.

Babcock is super reluctant to change anything ever so it'll probably never happen but I'm curious as to what others think. Thanks for listening.

I like the idea of a shut down line but Boston would double shift the Bergeron line keeping the Leafs top players off the ice.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Alex Tuch

But he'd cost a tonne.

Yes too late to scoop him up at a reasonable cost. Need to indentify the next Tuch. I'd be looking at Carolina they have lots of prospects and a good farm system and there's some history with Sami there...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah it worries me that if Babcock just rolls his lines, they will destroy us again. We badly need a plan to stop those guys.

I'm not so sure about that, Matthews and Nylander did not have a good series and it was still a game 7 decision. We added Tavares, the Tavares line playing against the Bergeron line with Matthews and Nylander even playing average and we should win.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Alex Tuch

But he'd cost a tonne.

Sam Bennett

My #1 wish list = Chris Kreider - LW - NYR.

Age 27 ... 6-3" 220lbs .. 42 games 20-12-32 points. Still has term of this year + next at $4.6 mil.

He is like a NFL linebacker on skates and can skate like the wind and hits everything in his path.

Kreider -- Matthews -- Kapanen
Hyman -- Tavares --- Marner
Marleau -- Kadri --- Brown

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Age 27 ... 6-3" 220lbs .. 42 games 20-12-32 points. Still has term of this year + next at $4.6 mil.

He is like a NFL linebacker on skates and can skate like the wind and hits everything in his path.

That would be great but tough on next years cap, no?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Would they take Johnsson and a conditional 2nd (turns into a first if they make the conference finals)? Maybe add a B prospect to get it done?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Right now we do not have the defensive personnel to stop the Boston forecheck and cycle. Putting Rielly and Gards on together could make it worse against Bergeron line. Marchand goes in and hits Rielly and we lose puck possession when Bergeron picks it up. Then the cycle starts until they get a good chance. We can't stop that issue from occurring right now. That line is fast and nasty and skilled. They can be stopped if you watched Washington last night they shut them down. They roughed up Marchand and Pasta all night long. Taking shots at them consistently. Orlov Niskanen and Orpik were hitting them all night long. Those guys don't like to be roughed up. No one does. That is the secret.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Emerson Clark has a scoring touch and has a physical side. Would cost the leafs nothing. Could try him out on the fourth line
He would help on forecheck and could engage Chara. We could need someone if Bruins decide to do some physical damage to us tomorrow night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

What RD is coming along with Kreider for Nylander?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like the idea of a shut down line but Boston would double shift the Bergeron line keeping the Leafs top players off the ice.

Yes that's my biggest concern with my idea. It might not be so bad though, they will give more ice time to that top line anyway but we can give more ice time to the Tavares and Matthews lines and play our 4th line almost never. It would come down to if our two top lines can do more damage then their one big line and if Kadri/Hyman/Kapanen even come close to holding their own, we should win easily. If we match up with Tavares then we need to come super close to breaking even with that match-up or we could be in trouble.

I'm not so sure about that, Matthews and Nylander did not have a good series and it was still a game 7 decision. We added Tavares, the Tavares line playing against the Bergeron line with Matthews and Nylander even playing average and we should win.

I'm not sure about anything except that the Bergeron line is scary. Boston matches up well against us and they're right behind us in the standings despite being absolutely decimated by injuries this year. It would be a mistake underestimate them, they're still one of the best teams in the league IMO.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
This was a very winnable game and another example as to how we can bully lesser teams.

Saturday is a true test. A playoff game and we had better see the Leafs show up for that game because they seem to not show up for those big games.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes that's my biggest concern with my idea. It might not be so bad though, they will give more ice time to that top line anyway but we can give more ice time to the Tavares and Matthews lines and play our 4th line almost never. It would come down to if our two top lines can do more damage then their one big line and if Kadri/Hyman/Kapanen even come close to holding their own, we should win easily. If we match up with Tavares then we need to come super close to breaking even with that match-up or we could be in trouble.

I'm not sure about anything except that the Bergeron line is scary. Boston matches up well against us and they're right behind us in the standings despite being absolutely decimated by injuries this year. It would be a mistake underestimate them, they're still one of the best teams in the league IMO.

TBH I’m not sure they would be able to shut them down without a solid D pair working with them. The Leafs just don’t have good enough D to prevent them from forechecking and cycling them to death.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He had a great training camp
Taking out Lindholm for a game would not change anything for us. But Clarkie could help us if Bruins decide they are gonna come out try to run us out of our rink tomorrow night. I would not put it past Bruins to make a statement game. They could say well we don't care about score but we will go out and try to inflict some physical damage on some of our guys tomorrow night irrespective of penalties. What would we do if we win the game on score sheet but lose Matty for a month or more on another bad board. It changes the risk profile for a guy on Bruins bench who wants to do something like that. I hope I am wrong but I think tomorrow night the Bruins will bring their nasty game. Babs does not want to be the coach looking to the refs to combat that game plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad