Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TBH I’m not sure they would be able to shut them down without a solid D pair working with them. The Leafs just don’t have good enough D to prevent them from forechecking and cycling them to death.

It's true. That line is so good and it's not clear to me at all that we'll be able to stop them. Maybe an idea is to tag-team them - play the Tavares line against them some of the time and play Kadri with whoever the rest of the time. Throwing different looks at them might help, who knows. In any case, I really hope Babcock will be thinking hard about this and will be adaptable. It scares me a bit that he's so rigid and slow to make adjustments and stopping Bergeron is a huge challenge where good coaching moves might be very important. Unless of course we don't play Boston in the 1st round, that would the best scenario of all, not sure how likely that is though.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
While channel surfing games between Breaks in Tor/NJ..caught some of the Isles /Rags ...I see #17 Isles just run over Bushnovich(sp?) then the same Rags player gets up takes a ten step run at #17..once again # 17 Isles lays the Rag out then looks down at him..

Thinking wow "Just what the Leafs need"...Then it hits me...Matt Martin..yep..Just what the leafs need.

Now that thats over and wishful thinking aside(BTW notice how well the Isles have done with his return to the Island. Good on you Lou)

After next season he is once again a UFA...might be good timing...if Babcock cannot get past the 1st rd. in the playoffs the next 2 years..he is likely gone..other than he leaving the teams players will be much the same ......in other words a possibility of taking another shot at the cup....Bring back Matt Martin since the soft Euro style coach will possibly no longer be here. Face facts if not for Babcock and the fact he never gave Martin a NHL mate to play with for 60 plus games this may just be what the team required again to take a real shot.
Being both a Leaf and Islander fan......Its obvious what Matt Martin did before he left the isles for Toronto and what he had done since his return...all good for the Islanders..of coarse he is playing for a Defensive hard nose style coach in Trots.

Take a look at the hits last night ...Nothing even close in toronto games.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews needs a winger who loves playing gritty with skill. A blue collar skilled player. Size is a bonus but not the end all. A Gallagher type for sure. Aggressive, on the wall, down low, battle.

Then we need a top 4 D who is adept at stopping the cycle, gap control and good first pass. RHD would be ideal.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Watching the highlights it felt like all three of kadri, nylander and marleau are struggling to finish their chances and that is getting them annoyed. They are too skilled to miss those chances. Feel we are 2 to 3 goals away from that line to really get on a roll here.

Also Hyman has quickly become my favorite player to watch. Literally created so much space for marner and tavares to work their magic.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews needs a winger who loves playing gritty with skill. A blue collar skilled player. Size is a bonus but not the end all. A Gallagher type for sure. Aggressive, on the wall, down low, battle.

Then we need a top 4 D who is adept at stopping the cycle, gap control and good first pass. RHD would be ideal.

Canes are said to be shopping Micheal Ferland before the deadline.

Reactions: kb

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Just saw the stats, we controlled possession for about 2/3 of the game, far more scoring chances, so many close calls.

This seems to sum up so many recent games (by the end of the second period I often have a feeling of dread because of all the missed closed calls, these things tend to come back and haunt later).

Is it just my imagination or is every team literally putting all 5 of their players right in front of their net?

How can we criticize Auston Matthews when this happens? I thought he was terrific, the old “puck on a string”! But how can any player break through that stifling “wall”?

Sad that no one stepped up for that hit on Dermott, or that one on Lindholm. Can’t we find one roster spot for a Ryan Reeves type?
Our power play is obviously not the answer to being gooned.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Matthews doesn't look the same don't get me wrong I really like him as a player (loads of talent) but this is Toronto the biggest hockey market in the NHL it almost looks like he doesn't try anymore perhaps he is injured or perhaps coming to Toronto was something he dreamed about. A star with all the talent in the world in one of the biggest franchises in all of hockey thinking all eyes will be on him, that he will be the face of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But now Tavares is stealing the show more goals lots of media attention etc. Kinda reminds me when Kessel was here all about himself and not a team player when things didn't go right Kessel got pouty and started floating . Like I said I like him and don't care much for Tavares but at least JT tries every game
I was with you till you said you “don’t care much” for JT. What more do you want from this guy? What could he do to make you care?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If the leafs cant add a top 4 RD they like I could see them going after Ferland.

Add some grit that can play in the top 6 possibly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Strong game. We were clearly the better team and control the play from the start pretty much. Tavares was awesome, Marner not much worse, and I liked Nylander in this game. But man, the production has to come at some point. We'll need it to be the truly deep team we can be.

not really there wasn't a guy named Nylander in that line-up

Kreider Matty and Kap would be lethal
Yes. Kreider is awesome. Trading Nylander for two years of him would be not be very great though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
not really there wasn't a guy named Nylander in that line-up

Kreider Matty and Kap would be lethal

Lethal would be right as Matthews' wingers might be the fastest in the NHL and both capable of 25-30 goals a season. That line would be difficult to contain no matter how the opposition wanted to play them either fast, or heavy and physical or defensive etc.

Chris Kreider ($4.62 mil x 2 ) + Brady Skjei (D, age 24 6-3/215 & $5.25 mil AAV X 6) = $9.87 mil IN.
for
Nylander ($6.969 mil X 6) + Nikita Zaitsev ($4.5 mil X 6) = $11.47 mil OUT

Plenty of Cap space and we get a big power forward for Matty's line and a top 4 young Dman.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Matthews will surprise me with devastating dominance when he is on. Tavares is the energizer bunny I can rely on over and over again. Tavares is more of a core player while Matthews is a secret weapon

interesting take. I dont disagree. its just interesting to me that while Tavares has Marner to make plays, Matthews has no one to do that for him and yet they are both scoring at the same percentage at the moment.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Strong game. We were clearly the better team and control the play from the start pretty much. Tavares was awesome, Marner not much worse, and I liked Nylander in this game. But man, the production has to come at some point. We'll need it to be the truly deep team we can be.

Yes. Kreider is awesome. Trading Nylander for two years of him would be not be very great though.

While I didn't suggest that would be the trade, in fact there wasn't any trade suggested as far as I could tell, that said I still believe the Leafs will be moving Nylander but not before July 1

Kreider I think would extend with the Leafs, and probably for less then the 6.9 they're paying Nylander, I mean what guy doesn't want a chance to be the LW on Matty's line or barring that on JT's LW

Reactions: Mess

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lethal would be right as Matthews' wingers might be the fastest in the NHL and both capable of 25-30 goals a season. That line would be difficult to contain no matter how the opposition wanted to play them either fast, or heavy and physical or defensive etc.

Chris Kreider ($4.62 mil x 2 ) + Brady Skjei (D, age 24 6-3/215 & $5.25 mil AAV X 6) = $9.87 mil IN.
for

Plenty of Cap space and we get a big power forward for Matty's line and a top 4 young Dman.
I like it.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

for

i'd be all for that move, you might have to add though considering the bonuses due Nylander

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
interesting take. I dont disagree. its just interesting to me that while Tavares has Marner to make plays, Matthews has no one to do that for him and yet they are both scoring at the same percentage at the moment.
Matthew's seems to score more in bunches while Tavares rarely goes games without a point.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Kadri has carried a lot of lines. Dont be upset he is a good player.
Is Nylander playing yet?

Not upset. I actually enjoy it and cheer for him when he sticks up for his teammates or scores an important goal. Unfortunately, these events are getting scarcer as the season progresses and as such when they do happen it's another round of champagne for everyone. (Corks popping in the background).:partytime:

He can't outskate anyone and must plonk his skinny butt in front of the opposing crease and stay there and battle hard.

I hope he has a great game against Boston because that was his last good game in a Leaf uniform.

Yes, Nylander is out playing Kadri by a wide margin go check the analytics.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc

for

I would do this in a heartbeat. Get rid of 2 mistakes.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad