Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
A quick question for everyone. Not really looking to start a debate.

John Tavares on pace for 55 goals in 82 games.
Matthews on pace for 46 goals in 68 games.

Which is one is more impressive to you?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty damn good last few games from the Leafs overall. Even that Nashville game was pretty good overall despite the score.

I hope they keep that kind of play in the next 3 games. Bruins, Avanlanche and Lightning will not be easy. With Andersen back, I hope this gives them an even bigger lift. We haven't had a goaltender steal a game for us since Andersen has been out.

Reactions: Budsfan

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Everyone saying this team needs Hyman so much bc they just parroting what the "analysts" on Sportsnet said after the game. He should be no where near the top 6.

Hyman allows his linemates to be a bit lazier - you can get into position and he has a good chance of getting you that puck. It was on display tonight in Period 1. FACT.

But FACT 2....
Periods 2 and 3. We also saw Hyman getting elite passes about 3 to 4 times and the chance was never a great shot at net, but rather a fumble.

He seems like a player you inject, if you need some energy that night. Shuffle Hyman if you need extra offense.

Babs should utilize this and we can all shutup

P.s. I rather complain about a cursed Kadri or Overpaid 6.9Million Nylander... both less impact than Hyman LMAO

Go leafs!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Pretty damn good last few games from the Leafs overall. Even that Nashville game was pretty good overall despite the score.

I hope they keep that kind of play in the next 3 games. Bruins, Avanlanche and Lightning will not be easy. With Andersen back, I hope this gives them an even bigger lift. We haven't had a goaltender steal a game for us since Andersen has been out.

Tomorrow's a big one. It may be too early for some but not for me, I'm thinking about Boston in round 1 already (very likely to happen IMO) and that's going to be a very tough fight. I'll just throw this out there, would be interested in what others think.

If we contain Bergerons' line, we win the series. If we don't, we lose. Since that's the key to our entire season, maybe we should start thinking about it now. If I'm Babcock, I would come up with a line that has the best chance of containing these guys and try it out tomorrow night. The line I would like to try is Kadri, Hyman and Kapanen. Kadri because he's done this job before, he's done it well and if we can get him going again, that would make us a much better team. This assignment I believe would get him once again playing like the Kadri of the last couple of seasons. Hyman because his style of play is perfect for this, he doesn't have to produce offence at all, just play D, break up the cycle and forecheck to keep the puck in the Ozone as much as possible. Kapanen I'm least certain of but I think his speed helps keep them honest in our zone, just seems like a good fit to me. If this line can keep it even somewhat close, it leaves the big guns free to inflict damage on the rest of the Boston lineup which they should be able to do.

Babcock is super reluctant to change anything ever so it'll probably never happen but I'm curious as to what others think. Thanks for listening.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Can't wait to see the team play to their potential.

That was a good game, but not a great game, when you consider the competition, Leafs top 5 team, Devils bottom 5 team.

It was however a step in the right direction with Hyman back it gives them another player who'll win board battles.

Can't wait to see when Matthews gets back into a groove.

Reactions: Budsfan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tomorrow's a big one. It may be too early for some but not for me, I'm thinking about Boston in round 1 already (very likely to happen IMO) and that's going to be a very tough fight. I'll just throw this out there, would be interested in what others think.

If we contain Bergerons' line, we win the series. If we don't, we lose. Since that's the key to our entire season, maybe we should start thinking about it now. If I'm Babcock, I would come up with a line that has the best chance of containing these guys and try it out tomorrow night. The line I would like to try is Kadri, Hyman and Kapanen. Kadri because he's done this job before, he's done it well and if we can get him going again, that would make us a much better team. This assignment I believe would get him once again playing like the Kadri of the last couple of seasons. Hyman because his style of play is perfect for this, he doesn't have to produce offence at all, just play D, break up the cycle and forecheck to keep the puck in the Ozone as much as possible. Kapanen I'm least certain of but I think his speed helps keep them honest in our zone, just seems like a good fit to me. If this line can keep it even somewhat close, it leaves the big guns free to inflict damage on the rest of the Boston lineup which they should be able to do.

Babcock is super reluctant to change anything ever so it'll probably never happen but I'm curious as to what others think. Thanks for listening.

I think that would be an excellent shut down line but may be counter productive by messing up the rest of the lines.

I agree, Babcock won't do it.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

It's a good idea and well worth trying because that line destroys us and Babcock has no answer

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Hyman is an energy guy who can play with your top players.

If we wanted a straight shutdown line, maybe something like Hyman-Kadri-Brown.

To me the issue becomes Marleau.

If you're pushing Hyman down to the 3rd. line it likely results in Marleau being on a top line.

Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Gauthier/Lindholm-Moore

I doubt Babcock would ever do that to Marleau, even if justified.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Everyone saying this team needs Hyman so much bc they just parroting what the "analysts" on Sportsnet said after the game. He should be no where near the top 6.

Youo don't need analysts to tell you the guy makes a positive difference. If people can't see the difference of the 8 games without this guy and then see the impact with him...wow

His impact was obvious tonight. Can't even see how anyone would argue that he doesn't keep pressure on, help create puck control, cycling, and drives the net creating open lanes for his linemates better than most on this team.

It is very likely that if it had of been any other player on the ice, Hainsey does not get the chance to score his goal and Tavares doesn't get the opportunity on his first. He also drove the net on Tavares second goal taking the defender with him, blocking out the other D and helping leave Tavares wide open for an empty net look.

Can't believe some think you need hands of gold or a great shot to play in the top 6. When you have top end players like Tavares and Marner who want the puck, why do people think a third guy who also wants the puck will make things better? 3 puck wanting guys on a line doesn't typically work. Having a guy who is happy to do all the dirty work so the other two are happy getting more puck time created form his work is a unit that typically works. This is not a new style. Matthews, Nylander produced well with him and now Tavares and Marner have produced well with him and it allows us to have 3 scoring lines.
What's the problem really.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's a good idea and well worth trying because that line destroys us and Babcock has no answer

Yeah it worries me that if Babcock just rolls his lines, they will destroy us again. We badly need a plan to stop those guys.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A quick question for everyone. Not really looking to start a debate.

John Tavares on pace for 55 goals in 82 games.
Matthews on pace for 46 goals in 68 games.

Which is one is more impressive to you?
Matthews will surprise me with devastating dominance when he is on. Tavares is the energizer bunny I can rely on over and over again. Tavares is more of a core player while Matthews is a secret weapon

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
To me the issue becomes Marleau.

If you're pushing Hyman down to the 3rd. line it likely results in Marleau being on a top line.

Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Gauthier/Lindholm-Moore

I doubt Babcock would ever do that to Marleau, even if justified.

Marleau had a good playoffs - he seems to have a playoff motor or hes just fearless as a grown man. Marner, Kap, Hyman and Johnsson are the guys who showed up. Marleau was among them.

If he does look old and slow out there like he HAS this season thus far, and babcock doesnt demote him if needed...we know where our problem lies.

I have faith in Babs - he has changed alot and adjusted alot better this season.

Brown to 4th... Kap to top lines... Nylander to 3rd. Johnsson to top 2. PP switches.

Lets pray Marleau is saving it all for the playoffs :nod:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Sure good to have Hyman back as he made an immediate impact setting up the first 2 goals and increasing the Leafs compete level tenfold.

Mess what about adding another Hyman type player at the deadline? I don't think there will be a D upgrade there for an affordable cost - but adding Dermott to the top 4 and sliding Hainsey down to the bottom pair and adding another heavy winger that can grind it out in the playoffs against teams like Boston, Washington, Columbus seems like a good idea to me. Then the Leafs could play fast or play heavy or at least be not so easily pushed off the puck.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

That line plays a lot. My preference is the Tavares line matching. Marner put up a lot of points on that line last year. Make that line pay for their mistakes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That line plays a lot. My preference is the Tavares line matching. Marner put up a lot of points on that line last year. Make that line pay for their mistakes.

Yes that is the other option IMO. It might indeed be the better option but I am intrigued with the other idea and I think it's worth trying out because if that line can do the job, we win easily. If it got Kadri going again that would be huge for us and I also think Hyman was born to fill this role.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have a question... where would this team be, without signing Johnn Tavares? I am going to say, fighting for a playoff spot.

Nylander...... I see Micheal Nylander every time I look at him now. And boy, does he look awful with that scruffy beard.

I sorta like this Hutchison guy, but its probably because I don't have to watch Garett Sparks, Sparks is just one awful NHLer.

They’re fighting for one with him

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Perhaps this will make you guys put a little respect on Hymans name, might not have the hands to score but hes damm effective at what he does, the team missed him while he was hurt.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm almost certain Babcock will try to match the JT line (with Hyman) to the Bergeron line. Probably one of the main reasons JT was brought in,vet #1C who can help play against other vet #1Cs

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->