Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kapanen is just Hyman 2.0 but Nylander on the LW would be a 3rd guy on the line to actually do something.

Heard the same theory with him doing the heavy lifting with Marner and Tavares but they just straight up looked him off even when he was in a prime scoring zone. Johnsson has provided a 3rd threat on the line.

I'll be honest in saying that there is pretty much no argument that is going to convince me that Hyman can help the top 6. The stats and eyes both line up in this case, he is a black hole offensively and hinders more than helps a line.

Unfortunately we don't have another natural LW like Johnsson on the team that isn't named Marleau and he's definitely not the answer

Unless were talking Moore which I'd have some time for I think Hyman is the best option as a physical/defensive presence on that line since Kapanen and Nylander are both RW

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Mitch Marner and the Toronto Maple Leafs. He leads this boy band people.
The thing that really stood out was during his interview Marner says something like the passing is the easy part, the scoring is the hard part...he's always complementing his teammates. So humble all. the. time. he just **may** be better than Matthews...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tavares is our heart and soul and should be captain. He plays so hard on every shift. I love Matthews, own his jersey, but doesn’t show up every shift to the same degree. I’m positive he’ll get there just watching Tavares. We as Leaf fans are so lucky he chose us.

Tavares is relentless...he is a true professional and keeps himself in tip top shape, will definitely be advantageous in the playoffs with all that grind. Some of his training as a 16-17 year old. He always did wanted to be the best player in the world. Posted this when we signed him and it's worth revisiting again. Yep, so lucky he chose the Leafs. Just to think of it, we wouldn't be able to compete with Tampa this year without Tavares in the line-up.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unfortunately we don't have another natural LW like Johnsson on the team that isn't named Marleau and he's definitely not the answer

Unless were talking Moore which I'd have some time for I think Hyman is the best option as a physical/defensive presence on that line since Kapanen and Nylander are both RW

Maybe we could look at Grundstrom, fairly productive on the Marlies this year. See how he auditions and then if need be, we could look at rental options.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe we could look at Grundstrom, fairly productive on the Marlies this year. See how he auditions and then if need be, we could look at rental options.

I can't see Grundstrom coming up without injuries and I think Moore is as good as him at this point in time anyway

I wouldn't bother trading for a forward unless it's a good quality LW that can play a physical game with decent hands with an above average 2way game (and no that isn't Simmonds)

I'd put every available resource towards a top 4, preferably top pair defenseman

Reactions: rubous

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Who is Leafs goalie Coach? Is he highly regarded?
I just saw a much better Sparks tonight. Angles, rebound control, positioning & seemed to standup more(work in progress)
Maybe it’s just Sparks becoming more comfortable in the league and gaining some confidence.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Further... What more can you say about Kapanen? Seeing him junp into the corner and defend Marleau was pure joy. Anybody notice that Columbus' physical game disappeared after that? I am not saying we need a line up of goons, just for the guys to be a little more assertive in the physical department when other teams try to bully us.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Further... What more can you say about Kapanen? Seeing him junp into the corner and defend Marleau was pure joy. Anybody notice that Columbus' physical game disappeared after that? I am not saying we need a line up of goons, just for the guys to be a little more assertive in the physical department when other teams try to bully us.

This is what I’ve been saying I. The whole toughness argument.

Toughness is something we see when a player pushes through adversity way more than a goon like Matt Martin or Colton Orr laying a body check after the puck is 80 feet in the other direction.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This is what I’ve been saying I. The whole toughness argument.

Toughness is something we see when a player pushes through adversity way more than a goon like Matt Martin or Colton Orr laying a body check after the puck is 80 feet in the other direction.

The young guys coming up from the Marlies have some jam to their game. Like you said: smart toughness.

Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott. Grundstrom, Borgman, Liljegren when they come up too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't see Grundstrom coming up without injuries and I think Moore is as good as him at this point in time anyway

I wouldn't bother trading for a forward unless it's a good quality LW that can play a physical game with decent hands with an above average 2way game (and no that isn't Simmonds)

I'd put every available resource towards a top 4, preferably top pair defenseman

The soonest I could see a Nylander-Parayko type swap would be July 2nd after we've paid Nylander's bonus.

Pietrangelo maybe before the TDL but we'd need to include Zaitsev in the deal for the cap to work moving forward.

Pesce? Likely going to cost Kappy.

Tanev - 1st+something.

I don't think there is any other top 4 guys that come to mind.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The soonest I could see a Nylander-Parayko type swap would be July 2nd after we've paid Nylander's bonus.

Pietrangelo maybe before the TDL but we'd need to include Zaitsev in the deal for the cap to work moving forward.

Tanev - 1st+something.

I want to add to what we've got now and start trying to win from this year on

So I'm looking at Edler or Tanev top 4 types that will cost a 1st + something that isn't Sandin, Liljegren or Grundstrom

I'd try to keep the forward group together as well so I'm not keen on moving Nylander or Kapanen even in the off-season

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
We are so lucky to have a core of Matty Mitch JT Mo and
Andy. Five of the best right there.

Then complimentary players like kappy Johnsson Marleau Willy and kadri to round out our top 9

Haven’t had a team with this much talent ever.

Reactions: Leafidelity

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Tanev - 1st+something.

If we acquire Pietrangelo it makes the most sense to either deal Gardiner or Dermott.

We have guys that can replace Gardiner or Dermott. We don’t have someone that can replace Zaitsev. Liljegren is replacing Hainsey. So what if we lose Pietrangelo in UFA and we’ve traded Zaitsev?

As much as this fan base trashes him there aren’t better options coming via FA and we don’t have replacements in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino